• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Question- Who was Katherine Delafield, how did she get so damn popular so quickly, and why was she written off so soon after her skyrocketing popularity?  I remember her portrayer (Edie Lehman or something like that) actually hit #4 in the Daytime TV Best Actress Readers Poll.  Extremely rare for a newbie in that era.   Legit, that top 5 went like this, for over a year, with NO changes:

1. Mary Beth Evans (Kayla, DAYS)

2. Marcy Walker (Eden, SB)

3. Finola Hughes (Anna, GH)

4. Patsy Pease (Kimberly, DAYS)

5. Nancy Grahn (Julia, SB)

And Edie Whosherface infultrates within months of joining the GH cast?  U guys, help  me understand....

• Members

Around 1988 or 1989, they needed a love interest for Robert, as Anna was popular with Duke. Katherine came in as, I think, Robin's piano teacher. She and Robert hated each other - you know how that goes. They were a popular couple for several years. I believe that in late 1990 Gloria Monty returned and the actress got wind quickly that Monty had no interest in the pairing or her character, so she left. 

• Members

I did not really enjoy her.  I loved Cheryl with Roberto back then, and thought Katherine was boring.  When I watch clips now I don't dislike her as much.

What I think shows though is just how popular Robert was.  I was always a much bigger fan of Anna than Robert, but there is no denying he had several pairings that worked and were very popular.  Holly and Anna were super couples, and people also loved him with Tiffany, Katherine, Cheryl, and Jackie.

I started watching GH in 1988. I really liked Robert with Cheryl and later on Katherine. In the beginning i found Katie Lady bland. But Katherine grew on me. I hated that they made Cheryl obsessed with Robert. The only thing i liked about GM's second run was Cheryl giving up her obsession with Robert. The whole obsession thing was out of character for Cheryl .Didn't like seeing a strong career women like Cheryl in a deluded dream world. Katherine & Robert's break up scenes around Thanksgiving of 1990. Were very well written and very adult. 

• Members

I felt sorry for the actress who played Cheryl because she said in one of those "GH memories" interviews SPW did for their 30th anniversary how unhappy she had been with the writing for the character in her later years. I think she was also another who felt let down with the way Gloria Monty wrote her out. It's too bad they never did more with Cheryl as she could have driven a lot of story, especially with her contrasts to Tiffany. I know some fans said that the Bobbie/Tiffany custody battle over Lucas carried the show in the early '90s.