GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Alan worked best for me when he was a good doctor that could do some shady stuff in his private life.  No need to try to turn him into Steve.  But the right actor and story could have given us Tom or Jeff Webber and everything would have been fine.  Or not destroyed Rick Webber in such a terrible story and kept him when her returned for Laura's exit story.  The show needs that grounded older hospital character.

No way JFP would have gone  this route, nor Guza, but when Leslie came back they should have let her get back her life as a doctor and have her fight for chief of staff.

I grew up watching the show, Starting at the  tail end of Luke and Laura, her return from the Cassadines.  I loved Steve Hardy and Jessie, even if they didn't have stories I liked seeing them.

When these shows want sexy they always go younger.  Well Donna Mills and Ted Shackleford were not young when Knots Landing paired them and no couple was ever hotter on that show IMO.  Invest in people that aren't just kids, your shows need them!

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For me, ideally, the role of the wise and kindly chief of staff would have gone to one of Steve's sons (step- or biological) or grandsons. Since the show never groomed anyone long enough to fit this bill, however, I would have accepted Rick or Lesley running the hospital. The horrifying way they slaughtered the character of Rick is inexcusable, so alas, there was another potential candidate down the drain. I doubt TPTB have any interest in making Lesley an important part of the show again either.

Please register in order to view this content

What the blind executives don't understand is, while THEY are obsessed with extreme youth and a rigid, idealized standard of beauty, the audience itself is not so restricted. We can, and do, love characters of all ages, shapes, and sizes. We want to see all sorts of characters find love and romance, not just the nubile teens. Many years ago on ANOTHER WORLD, grandmother Ada McGowen unexpectedly became pregnant, and went through with a late-in-life pregnancy. Even though the network executives had fought against telling this story, the audience, even the kids in the audience, LOVED it.

The viewers love their vets, just ask the many devoted fans of Katherine Chancellor, Steve and Audrey Hardy, Bert Bauer, Nancy Hughes, Tom and Alice Horton, etc.

The suits at the networks just have to wake up to that reality.

• Members

The fact tat it was hard to watch is what made the story so enthralling. People loved Audrey and never in a hundred years expected RA to be the center of a story. She and Beradino were relevant again and viewers were so upset. After a good 15 years on the back-burner they were in the magazines, even on, I believe a cover or two. As for Jon Lindstrom, after years of small, short term roles, GH gave Ryan a twin because  of Lindstrom's talent. While Audrey and Steve suffered, viewers were watching to make sure they were okay.

That was "gutsy" storytelling/ 

--Kiki jumping on a bus--yawn

--Frankles--anything --yawn

--Nina marries Valentin--yawn

--Droolian moves in with Alexis--vomit

Stop trying to make stories for these characters work.

• Members

Exactly, they're focusing on all of the wrong characters! Fans reacted so positively to Bobbie reading Nelle the other day, BECAUSE OF BOBBIE and JZ, not because of the writing (so shush Jonny). Fans, young and old, want to see the vets. I also saw a bunch of young fans thrilled to see Katherine Chancellor again in the classic Y&R episode that aired.

• Members

Another dearly departed and missed character.  Ruby giving Brenda shade as a teen, then their friendship did more to make me like Brenda as a character than her later pairing with Sonny.  Ruby didn't take her crap but you could tell she was fond of her.

I loved how much time the teens of the early 1990's spent at Kelly's, and how much a part of their lives Ruby was.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

I actually don't mind Tracey  in their orbit. As they had Tracey start to actually have friends with Sabrina,I was like ..ewwww. I like that she has taken Hayden under her wing, and sees herself in her.Since her only full time kid in PC is Dillon(yawn), at least she's got something to do. I just wish she were doing the same with Lulu, whom she had been mothering until Laura came back. I'd love to see her go toe to toe with Ninny and leave her a husk after letting her have it...

Please register in order to view this content