GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I guess I never thought of Monica and Alan as a tentpole couple but I did view Alan as a tentpole character. I think they honestly could have killed off MOnica with no issue with the audience. But Alan had something Monica's character did not have and i love LC that's heart. It wasn't the great writing for Alan it was Stuart Damon's presence and take on the character because Rick Webber who was supposed to I know be the resident good guy, I never gave a crap about. I thought the actor and character were very boring and bland. I never understood the appeal of Monica and Rick ever. I mean Stuart Damon played Prince Charming for gods sake. But I think Alan's death combined with Emily's and the writing off of the rest of the Q's just killed this show in many ways. And no I don't think birining back Skye and having scheming and catfights with Tracy is the way to rejunenate the family. Lila and Emily to a lessor degree and even Alan is what centered the family to a great extent. I don't view JI's Edward any more than a cartoon anymore. I need to find some scenes with David Lewis's Edward and Alan because I thought they were ultra fabulous together and Edwards treatment of Alan in those years so best explains why AJ was treated the way he was. Now why Jason was sainted I have no clue.

• Members

Oh, I was only thinking about Kurt McK Ned. Wally Kurth Ned I try never to think about. He was so unlikable I wouldn't want him sharing scenes with anyone I like. And WK must just have this unlikable air to him because just this week I was watching DOOL and he was doing the same condescending "I know more than you, why must I be subjected to your stupidity" crap that was the hallmark of of his GH term. I honestly think this is what has held him back: he can only play a nagging, eye rolling, sighing, mean spirited jerk no one would want to share a room with for more than 20 seconds.

• Members

it must have killed you when Ned shared so many scenes with your favorite character, Alexis.

I had the same problem with Ned. Day after day of tongue-clucking moral superiority. I hated the "gatekeeping" crap. What that really meant was enabling. He wanted the Quartermaines to be weak so he could look down on them.

Guza spent most of the late 90's minimizing and humiliating the Quartermaines as much as possible.

Honestly the only ones I ever actually enjoyed watching were Alan, Monica (and they had horrible writing in the late 90's onward, aside from Alan's pill addiction story), Lila...even that was tough because the three of them were so subjected to Jason propping. Edward was written as a buffoon, AJ a loser, and Emily became loathsome.

• Members

I liked Justus when Joseph Phillips was in the role. I thought he was good as the dull guy who became more and more morally ambiguous. The recast with Monti Sharp was jarring - miscast, poorly written, not very well acted.

By the time of Dillon and the later Justus recasts I wasn't watching that much.

I thought Skye was a big cipher, brought in more because of RC's friendship with Jill than for any real reason. But I did like her relationships with Alan and AJ.

• Members

I totally disagree with this. I think if they would have killed off Monica instead of Alan, there would have been just as much outrage. I love all the Qs individually but it pales in comparison to my love of the Q unit as a whole. When I've been asked who my all-time favorite characters, I list a bunch and then always state "the Q family". They were just so terrific together. But I can't say that one individual Q is an all-time favorite character of mine. If JFP was so intent on killing off a Q, she should have killed off Edward II. Alan and Monica should have remained as the tent-pole couple and then there would have been ONE couple together on Guza's GH.

• Members

In principle I agree with you but I still think ALan was more the cornerstone than Monica but we can disagree on that. NONE OF THEM SHOULD HAVE DIED. Aside from Edward, In fact they killed off Lila and Anna Lee was so ill I just don't know why when David Lewis died Edward didn't die along with him. I don;t get the logic of keeping Edward and Tracy and throwing Monica and ALan aside, killing off AJ Emily over other characters that IMO are still around and were tons more expendable and that includes some of the other long standing characters that are still around.

Oh and on GH their idea of a cornerstone couple are Patrick and Robin. I remember KMc saying that she was told they were the moral cornerstone of the show. No way should a couple that young be the moral cornerstone or tied to each other than long. I find them a completely vapid and dull couple. Even Monica and Alan in their later years had some fire and passion.

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Their scenes together were horrible. The whole gatekeeper thing was ridiculous since no one asked them to keep any gates and no one needed them to. The Qs went 15 years without anyone keeping their gate and got along just fine, and as for Alexis..well, when Marilyn Munster is offering opinions about what is wrong with the rest of the Munsters you know the writing is completely backwards.

• Members

I honestly think it was so Jason could experience his "box of pain". Losing his father, rather than his grandfather, would have caused more pain. From everything I've read, SD was the nicest man and never complained. They should have asked him to go on recurring. It was just wrong to kill of Alan Q. I cried when they killed him off and I didn't even watch the episode. I just knew "My GH" had died. sad.png

• Members

The show tried to get rid of Edward once and they brought on that completely wrong actor who sounded like a teamster. They wound up having to ask JI back. Edward I feel serves more of a dramatic purpose than any other Q and his absence creates this big hole in the show and it just doesn't flow right. We see it even to this day with Edward wanting Michael at ELQ. Without Edward there wouldn't be a single Q who would want him to work there, not even Alan. So you sort of need Edward to have any Q presence because Edward is the only Q that cares about the Qs as an entity. The rest can't be bothered. Without Edward you might as well write out Tracy and Monica too.