GH: Classic Thread

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Alan loss the precision in his hands that he neede as a surgeon, and had to go into general practice because of it.  He had been a gifted surgeon before the accident.  So he lost a lot on a personal level considering how hard he worked to become a doctor, especially with Edward not approving of that.  It also led to his drug addiction in the late 1990’s, as he was initially using the pills for pain from a surgery to reverse his old injury and get back to surgery if I am remembering correctly.

I think that original Edward was always kind of snide and funny.  He was the most catty character on the show.  Then the rest kind of flowed from there.  They used to have humor, but didn’t become a joke until Guza came back from Sunset Beach.  Then it was just put them in scenes and have them argue over the same stuff over and over again.

Alan and Monica often had very humorous fights, even in their early years.

• Members

Yes!! That's the scene I meant. Thanks for posting it. I know I saw it as a flashback. I believe it was in the 1997 episode where Alan and Monica looked back, reminiscing on their "crappy anniversary". (Which also commemorated Leslie Charleson and Stuart Damon's 20th anniversaries on the show, if I'm not mistaken.) Which year did this scene take place, exactly?

I've said it before but it's worth repeating...GH shot itself in the foot big time by getting rid of Stuart Damon, and over a decade later, I still haven't forgiven TIIC. I loved Alan and the way Mr. Damon played him. Alan and Monica were probably the hottest couple in GH history. (Forget Luke and Laura...they didn't even come close!) Their chemistry was off the charts, yet there was real love there as well. They were made for each other.

Edited by amybrickwallace

• Members

Oh thank you so much for posting these scenes.  I can only imagine that Stuart Damon and Leslie Charleson had a blast filming that "red bat" scene.  I miss the Qs so much.  And I loved all their parties.  There was always something happening in them and the Q mansion was always sort in the background.  So many storylines got woven into that mansion - even non-Q stories.

I will reiterate what someone else said: they NEVER should have killed off Alan Q.

• Members

Monica has had a remarkable arc as a character.  It would be hard to imagine that the woman who couldn't commit to Jeff or Dawn's father, taunted Leslie over her chemistry with Rick, and cheated on Alan would eventually adopt two children and then grieve the loss of three out of four of those kids on her own; although her grief over Dawn and Emily is mentioned less frequently than the loss of AJ.   She went from very selfish and mean to demonstrate extreme compassion.  Some writer could have made the connection between Monica's upbringing in an orphanage and her ability to parent Jason and Emily but I don't recall anyone doing so.  I know more recent writers have had Monica tell Jason or Drew about parenting an adopted child when Sam was pregnant but I don't think she talked about her own childhood.   Also, looking back her relationship with Gail as a mentor was so much more cleaver than making her a long lost daughter; especially because she was married to the long lost son of Steve Hardy.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I’ve also seen several really compelling scenes of her and teenaged Laura where she references her past and how much she wanted to have a relationship with Laura that has nothing to do with Rick or Lesley, to help her with her troubles.

I used to feel that way about Bobbie too.  On paper this is someone that has a background of tragedy and even when she was after Scotty she was still a good nurse that worked hard to give herself a new life.  To see people try to shame her in later years about her past as a sex worker and have her not be embarrassed, to be open and trusting and a loving character (who still sometimes had an edge) was great.

They just don’t write them like they used to.