GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Agreed.  Running Port Charles and GH was a huge mistake IMO, and GH suffered.  Guza’s storylines totally collapsed about 2 years into his return from Sunset Beach and the show was a dark mess.  

When did Frons take over ABC daytime?  Because I think that his type of interference was present towards the end of her time there.  I know she and Bob were not getting along by that point either.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Better than Valentini.  Truly.  Also, all the stories will have emotional stakes.  She was very big on even a big action story having an emotional grounding.

The problem is, who writes it for her?  Because she can turn excellent writing into a great show (Labine, most of Guza), and mediocre writing into something at least watchable (Levinson and most of Culliton).  Sadly, Korte and Val Jean’s brief tenure was boring af, and Whitesell and Iacobuzio and an entire year of Guza was nearly unwatchable.

I was so excited when there were rumors she was possibly going to ATWT and again Y&R years ago.  I think she would have been a good fit at ATWT.

• Members

Brian Frons joined ABC Daytime in August of 2002.  The beginning of the end.

The funny thing is that I really enjoyed Sonny, Jason and Carly in the early 90s.  It's the fact that they have remained the sole focus of everything since.  I absolutely abhor all three characters now.  Way to run a once great show into the ground, ABC.

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Tony Geary wanted Luke and his family to behave as if it were still 1980, which was a definite contrast, IMO, to Genie Francis, who seemed more okay with the idea of Luke & Laura being older and living more settled lives.

Edited by Khan

• Members

There were times when I thought they went too far with Laura in that direction.  She could be dangerous, impulsive and reckless just like Luke, and they tried to make her a little too domestic.  

But at least we saw her growing more anxious with the mob.  Lucky was shot, she was kidnapped and shoved down the stairs while pregnant with Lulu, her house was shot up and she killed a man to save Luke all in like a year.

It annoyed me as time went on and it became Laura wants to bake cookies and Luke wants adventure.  Which did neither character any justice.

One thing I will absolutely give Labine- her Laura was both vulnerable but also incredibly strong.  And Guza wrote her as a basket case.  

She had an emotional collapse when Nikolas arrived and had to be sedated.  She almost killed herself on the train tracks after Lucky died.  She went crazy when she thought she killed Rick.  She was just a mess under Guza.

Edited by titan1978

• Members

And I felt that was kind of sacrilege.  I think they broke them piece by piece in a way that I could get behind as long as the end result was to build them back up together.  Instead it became pretty clear they just kind of gave up on her character.  Luke was still off being Luke and Laura was crying all the time about Lucky.

Nikolas, and revealing Laura having a kind of love for Stefan on the island and then Lucky learning about the rape and the fire were really good, character driven reasons for their relationship falling apart.  But they should never have been divorced.

• Members

The reveal of what his dad had done to his mom before he was born and how it impacted Lucky was must-see TV. "The Cowboy" had always had such a hero worship for Luke. Those scenes where Lucky confronted Luke and Laura (separately) were some of the best work of the Francis/Geary/Jackson triumvirate. The dynamic was never the same after JJ left (though he came back years later).

• Members

And that's another example of a story that Monty would have never done.

She was good at big plots and creating larger than life characters, but the depth just wasn't there otherwise. While I see the "fun" element in a lot of her GH work, it's just lacking soul and integrity to me overall. 

Edited by BetterForgotten