GH: Classic Thread

• Members

Although I feel bad for having almost nothing to offer, I realized that GH was the only "current" soap (until now) that does not have a thread that can be used for discussing classic storylines, posting articles, etc. While never a personal favorite of mine, I do consider GH to be the second-most important soap in the genre's history (with ATWT ranking as the most important soap), given the fact that it was largely responsible for shifting the genre's direction away from the "traditional"/P&G method of storytelling to campy plots that were written in an attempt to capture the popularity of young America. (To be fair, Y&R was the first soap designed to blatantly appeal to youth. However, nobody was better at doing this--or was more copied than--GH was back in its 80's heyday.)

To get things started, here is a 1963 (partial) promo for the "new" soap:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QrCHlvQrnrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a 1963 opening (in poor video quality), with a very beautiful theme:

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xGoM9CP1p2w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The iconic opening sequence that ran from the 1975 until 1993 had two themes (the first of which lasted just a year), as shown below:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qe8ZYMK1SiA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSPVL8HkPfk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Max

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Now this is my kind of thread. I got hooked on GH in 1977 so the 80s intro is dear to my heart.

I miss Gloria Monty. She knew how to create some dynamic and charismatic characters that you could root for. I loved her supercouples as well. While I loved DAYS back in the 80s and know they are the "supercouple" show, I actually liked GH's supercouples better.

• Members

Gloria MOnty was sort of like JER to me although much more innovative and groundbreaking. She had a great first run as did JER at Days but second time around it just didn't work

I actually preferred(odd as it sounds) Labines GH probably because her writing reminded me a lot of what I loved about AMC. I know a lot of people thought she was too dark but compared to the mob crap the past 10-12 years, her dark storylines for the most part at least had heart. Stone's Aids story, BJ's storyine, I think although not sure she even penned Monica's breast cancer storyline although I could be wrong on that. But she also did light stuff like Eddie Maine, Ned and Lois, L&B Records. And I know Geary hated her version of Luke but that was by far the best writing for his character and to me was an acceptable transition/growth from where the character was in the 80;s I know Geary told Labine then how much he hated the writing for Luke and she told him he could leave if he didn't like it. Too bad he didn't

Edited by JaneAusten

• Members

Yea, 1991 was horrible. The Eckerts were awful. I think if ABC gave GM some time, she could have turned things around. It boggles my mind how fast they got rid of GM when in comparison JFP continues to reign as EP at GH for over a decade with horrific ratings. unsure.png

I really enjoyed Labine's (& Riche's) GH as well even though it was very different than Monty's GH. I liked the realism and was thoroughly engrossed in all the stories. Labine and Riche also respected the history of Monty's GH which made it easier for me to like their GH. Guza, on the other hand, seemed to take delight in running a bulldozer through all of GH's history and it only made me hate his GH even more. angry.png

Edited by OldGHFan

• Members

My all time favorite GH era was Labine's 1990s tenure. She told my favorite three storylines in GH's history: BJ's Heart, Monica's Breast Cancer and Stone's AIDs. She may have been "dark", but she did it with purpose. Every action had a consequence. BJ's death gave a new depth to the character of Maxie, and brough a new bond between Bobbie and Felicia. Monica's breast cancer showed that throughout the lies/cheating/betrayal, Alan and Monica loved each other more than life ("Can you HONESTLY say this is sexy? Do you want to go to bed with this?" "I'd love to.") It also brought Emily to the canvas. Stone's death not only brought awareness to AIDs at a time when it wasn't talked about that much, but has also given a legendary character a struggle to face for the rest of her life.

Truly beautiful, meaningful storytelling.

Edited by SoapBoy94

• Members

Gloria Monty was a true visionary. The 1991 thing was a failure but to her credit at least she had a 1991 thing. That's what elevates her above all others: she had ideas and tried to do new things. In contrast, everyone else since Monty has been doing the same stuff again and again with never a change in vision. She felt the 1990s needed to be blue collar. I don't think that means she disliked the Quartermaines as much as she felt it was her job to come up with stuff. I guess it is better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all.

• Members

I remember vividly the first time I watched GH. It was the 1978 May long weekend here in Canada. On that Monday, Laura Webber killed David Hamilton. I was 12. Laura was 15. I could not believe they had a kid on the show involved in the thick of the action. I became a GH devotee because of Laura and Genie Francis, which is of course, exactly what Gloria Monty wanted.

But it was the Heather Webber storyline involving Jeff, Peter & Diana Taylor and P.J/Steven Lars that really interested me. People always talk about Luke and Laura turning GH into the phenom it became, but there was a solid bedrock of other stories and characters that received the full tilt treatment that never get credit. Think Rick/Lesley/Alan/Monica and Heather's machinations as just two examples. I was fortunate to come across somebody on line that sent me copies of several 1979 GH episodes that were copied from the master tapes, including the classic sequence where Heather drinks the LSD laced iced tea she meant for Diana Taylor! tongue.png That happened in 1979, thirty two years ago! And it was a good/exciting/campy/suspenseful as I remembered it!

Edited by Dale