FX: American Horror Story

Toups

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

What was Connie Britton like on Friday Night Lights? The few times I've seen her on this show she's done hilariously awful Valley of the Dolls style acting. Ryan Murphy shows spit on acting, it's just about hysteria and poses, but I wondered if this is just what she does on all her shows.

I thought this was an interesting article. It's nice to see a writer finally call out the bigoted views of Murphy's writing, and she does it in a way that goes with the flow of her fascination with the show.

http://www.fempop.com/2011/11/21/american-horror-story-shocks-but-not-like-you-think/

Edited by CarlD2

• Members

That is a worthwhile read--and I enjoy the show largely for the very reasons she initially gives. At first when I saw the link I thought it would be an article about how Murphy (and yes Falchuk who never seems to get the credit or blame for his work as co creator on every Murphy show post Popular, probably because he doesn't like to give arrogant, stupid interviews like Murphy loves to do--like his recent one with EW where he seemed to realize he gave away, while bragging, a major spoiler for future episodes and they had to hours later go back and delete it--but I digree) are misogynistic. And they probably are--but I do honestly think they make the male characters at least as stupid and repulsive as the female ones.

I'm not sure I'm fully on the anti-choice thing--at least not fully. On one hand horror stories are known to almost always take elements like that--that cause queasiness and controversy--and build their frights from them. So I'm not sure it's as easy to place that view on the creator, as much as it's just another thing that riles people up--and scares many people even who are pro-choice, or at the least makes them unvomfortable. Also, I think, but I could be wrong, that it's been shown that the house itself is what created the doctor's increased madness, dependency on drugs, etc, in th first place--before he started performing abortions. And it could maybe even be argued that the show is condeming the fact that the laws many people want, and we once had, caused the need for these inept abortion doctors in the first place. But the show's really not that deep, so I won't try to argue that.

As for Connie-I only saw the first season of Friday Night Lights, and that's all I know her from, but I thought she was absolutely *great* in it. I think she's ok in this--as I've said McDermott is the only one I find really not good--considering the material and how vague her role is. The show is all abotu atmosphere and that doesn't leave much direction for her character or motivation--Lange is lucky because she's playing a caricature of all her award nominated Tennessee Williams' grande dames--Maggie, Blanche and Amanda--and can just run with it.

And yet, and I know I'll hate myself at some point for admitting this, it's currently the one show I most look forward to each week.

• Members

I thought both Quinto and Sears were fine (I still haven't seen tonight's episode in which they return I believe). They are played broadly as stereotypes but frankly so is everyone on the show, particularly the characters/"ghosts" in flashback, and in this case (though I do think Murphy and Falchuk have a very weird mixed message thing when it comes to gays) I don't think their catty comments to each other were all that offensive (or even all that different from the way I've seen a few fighting gay couple friends of mine interact). I twasn't bitchy on the level of Boys in the Band and a number of other things.

LOL what spoiler do you mean?

• Members

You said he gave away a Glee spoiler and had to retract it.

It seems like the message of Murphy shows regrading gays is what you would find in the Celluloid Closet - gays are bitchy, sad, tragic people, and not in a noble way, like we were supposed to see Christian and Sean on Nip/Tuck as noble. Just in a freak show way. The only exception is Kurt on Glee, who is the biggest Mary Sue ever, and who seems to represent Murphy.

Spoiler for tonight's episode.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...