FX: American Horror Story

Toups

• Members

I dunno--I get that people found Season 2 super depressing (though I still wonder why Ryan Murpy decided his "fun campy" season--as he describes it--was the place to address slave and race issues) but nearly every single insane plot thread all made sense by the end and miraculously came together. EVen in Season 1 -- while I found the explanations too easy -- this was true. This year the writers seem to be just like "*shrug* I'm bored with this, let's move on." So little on screen adds up to anything. Such as Nan and her "romance" with that religious guy and all that--what was the point of it but to fill time because they knew that this "We need a supreme" thing had gotten boring by episode 3? Hell why even have characters go off "to Epcot" at the end of one episode only to be back ten minutes into the next?

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the final episodes of S2 justified (most) of the horror. I find things like quips about shoving red hot pokers up peoples asses, a raping minotaur, and the fetishizing of slave torture (this part is questionable, I admit) more shock for shock's sake.

Yes it's great seeing these Grande Dames chew the scenery--although by now I feel like they are just writing Jessica Lange as a mix of her past characters--she deserves better. They obviously are having fun. I still find the hour flies past, even if I find this season lacking in any really memorable characters that stick with me minutes after the show is gone.

Yeah there's no way they'll keep Lange, not to mention Bates and Bassett, off for the last episode.
Rant ahead:

As everyone has said, the stakes are simply too low for me to even bother caring about how confusing everything is. I can't even remember half the characters names. Blind girl always had the sight inside her she just needed it bumped back with family baubbles? Why did she even go to psycho killer Axe Man with the news anyway? (And aside from him being corporeal making no sense, I know he was meant to be sorta an urban legend but did they even give a warped Murphy reason for why he kills people who dislike jazz?) I wanted to see nice girl and Franken-guy frolicking in EPCOT, dammit. But I could care less about them (when she entered the school did she cut all ties with her parents? Who cares.) However, I know he has violent impulses, but when did he become a super strong, efficient killer? And why did they even go all the way to Florida, and then gaining one new power (when these witches gain like 2 new random powers a week anyway) make them immediately go back? The explanation for LaLaurie's tears being that she is truly evil and was crying about black people gaining equality is just stupid (but I can see the writers thinking it was an insanely clever twist.) But I should have known -- Murphy has a habit of feeling NOBODY can truly redeem themselves -- except on Glee of course where it never makes sense anyway (not that LaLaurie should be redeemed, but then why have her palling around with Queenie?) Are LaLaurie's actual daughters really in Hell too then -- if so that seems pretty mean. And it also seems unnecessarily cruel then that Nan is in Hell too (I am just sorry we didn't get to see some clever scene of what her Hell would be like.) The silent movie annoyed me because it made no sense why it would be done as a silent movie except they that they wanted to make one, but as these things go on this show, I can go with that. Madison (that's Roberts, right?) seems to want to kill everyone but because she's part of the Coven nobody cares? WHat again is the point of even having this school for witches? Was the butler just upstairs dressing up Black Baby ™ the whole episode while everything went on? I know Bassett was knocked out (ok are witches THAT easy to knock out?) but how one of the most powerful witches of all time not manage to escape torture by a powerless, not in the best shape, older woman, who carted her around town and to the attic?

So many more things to be said. And the fact that Murphy wants to have a fun campy season after how dark much of last year got is fair enough -- but then why use this season to explore race issues in such uncomfortable ways? That's fun I guess -- hey, black power showing black characters delighting in wanting to do nothing more than torture those who tortured them.

When they brought in the witch hunters, while hardly original, it felt like it was giving shape to the season--but that was a bust (is the whole company just gone then? And why didn't Fiona and crew kill them AGES ago if it was so easy to just use an axe?)I thought niceWitch was upset about Nan being killed, but I guess she forgot. Fiona's new best friend disappears--and is tortured and chopped up basically under her nose but I guess this weird cancer distracted her. And she has been shown to kill people with no issue, but couldn't do anything about an (expected) axe to the back?

Or what the time frame is (LaLaurie can just take over running her house museum and nobody notices?)

The setting doesn't help--we barely see New Orleans, and at least in the Asylum it kinda made sense that all this craziness was going on and nobody noticed. Hell even in Ghost House or whatever season 1 was the ghost aspect made sense as to why they couldn't leave.

I know they're in a mansion but really nobody notices that all this stuff is going on with other characters practically under their noses? I have no idea how or why the Axe Man managed to stop being a ghost when they released him. Or what happened to the Butler to bring him back. Or pretty much anything. Sure the hour still flies by in a camp, *shake your head* way but...

Bla bla bla. I also agree with others that what momentum they were actually getting was killed by the break, regardless of my issues.

• Members

Well, that was anti-climatic. I thought that Fiona was going to kill Cordelia. Regardless, Fiona got a fitting and deserved hell.

I felt for Misty, but Madison's violent death was well deserved.

So they forgot about a poor baby being raised as a doll in the attic by the crazy ass butler? Or did I miss something?

Oh, I enjoyed Stevie's opening performance.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

• Members

I have always loved Stevie Nicks and Fleetwood Mac. I loved Stevie's voice. It is not as strong as it used to be and she can't high those notes any more, but she still has it and I am glad the cocaine did not steal it from her. I am glad that she survived her drug addiction and lived this long.

Edited by Ann_SS

• Members

Meh.

It was an okay ending, but overall, this season was all over the place with a lot of pointless filler or stories that just didn't seem to advance to any real point. I was hoping we'd see the mentally handicapped girl again. She cracks me up.

This season was built up to have so much potential, but overall I kept expecting more/better than what we actually got.

I like AHS in their exact order that they aired: Season 1, then 2, then 3.

• Members

She performed the song in the opening scene as well.

I liked this season and the finale for what it is worth - escapist popcorn. In Season 1 and 2, virtually every character's storyline resolved through death - at least some got to live in this season!

I thought there was some substance to Season 2, but this felt more like season 1 in being less serious.

Edited by SouthOfSoap

• Members

This is the kind of show that if you don't think about it that much it's pretty good, but once you think about the details it falls apart. It felt like a new person wrote each episode and didn't bother with continuity. As good as Angela and Katy were, at the end of the day both of their plots were pretty useless.

I actually did care who the Supreme and as long as it wasn't Fiona or Madison I was happy. Poor Misty, that was just messed up.