OLTL: Actor leaving?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree and Real Todd with Blair. But there is all the mess with Danielle being Todd's daughter. They should just have left things as they were. Once they found out OLTL was canceled...the story with RH should have been canned.

• Members

Dont worry. Its a big ol clusterf--k of a emss anyway. Since you are a new viewer, Im sure you dont even know that Dani was born offscreen 2 years after Jack, yet she's magically 2 years older than him. RH should biologically be her dad to yet like Jack, she has absolutely no connection to him. Starr is the only kid that should know him

• Members

I think it's both a shame and not. I can live with it, certainly, because I think TSJ ceased being Todd some time ago and became someone else entirely. I wholeheartedly supported the recast, and loved him in the role for years until the stories turned awful and he began phoning it in, with the intermittent flourish of genius - not unlike Howarth's run, which is why I was happy to see him go in 2003. But I think St. John was never terribly into kind of overly schmoopy romantic material, which is what they gave him too much of from the start. He preferred to delve into the dank psychology of the character, which is compelling, but which they often couldn't write for, and so it made many of his more supposedly sincere stories ring hollow, especially in the last five years. Especially Todd and Tea's reunion - she got him off a rape charge and we're supposed to consider them the truest love? TSJ seemed to thumb his nose at that conceit, as well he should've, though his and Lozano's chemistry is electric. He couldn't or wouldn't imbue Todd with humanity and pathos in the midst of terrible or character-ruining storylines, and instead either twisted it or phoned it in. While that was often very watchable when he did [!@#$%^&*] with it, it did not add up to a character to care for, yet OLTL promoted him as a hero. That's not his fault.

As slow and at times lame as this storyline has been, it has meant a lot to me to see a Todd Manning (Howarth's) I can actually care about, believe in and invest in again as anything other than a villain for the first time in a long time. RH came back energized, so it works. To have the rapemance undone means more than I can say to me as a longtime fan of the character. The Todd they spent years trying to rebuild - with many mistakes along the way, sure - would never do that, ever, and if he did he would have to die like a dog.

I do think TSJ is very talented, and has done very well with some dark material. He also plays against anything cozy or nice or unearned - like Todd's "redemption" in the last couple years - and when he is going for the dangerous sociopath stuff he does very, very well, I think. He's just brilliantly creepy. And I think were the show going on - or not - they could've gone on for years with TSJ turning out to be Todd's scheming long-lost fraternal twin or something, this manipulative, vampiric, somewhat more subtly, insidiously evil type than RH's Todd's blunter approach. You could've played them and their relationships with the family off each other for years, that rivalry. But am I crying that he's going with the show off? No. I am really looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out, though.

On another note, I have my doubts Sam will leave with TSJ, whatever becomes of him, which means he would be in Llanview with Blair and most likely a reunion with Todd. And as I've said before, that would make me very, very happy as an ultimate resolution to the baby Jack storyline.

Archived