Jump to content
soapfan770

Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

Recommended Posts

On 11/14/2019 at 1:43 PM, sheilaforever said:

This is cool. Did not know about it at all. 

 

Clayton Norcross has aged A LOT better than his two successorsin the role of Thorne.

When the show first started, I thought CN and Thorne were WAY hotter than Ridge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 518 has one the (!) all-time (!) dumbest Ridge-moments. I had forgotten about, but it's just un-freaking-believable. The writing is pretty sloppy in March/April 1989... like something you would expect from writer's strike material, yet it occurs on-screen more than 6 months later, so it's hard to put the blame on someone besides Bill Bell, Bradley and Jack Smith. LOL

 

I won't name sth. in particular for those still looking forward to watch it:

The Angela story hits its climax and there is more than episode which feels uneven and does not make the most sense. The storyline has a sudden shift which is ok. The dialogue is ok as well, but the pacing/breakdowns of the episodes are terrible at times. Plot points just happen without any connection to another in single episodes - it's really bizarre. Apart from that: it's high time to enjoy the ride because it's getting really good and juicy down the road...

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Episode 522 uploaded today... Macy's debut... I get a Mildred Pierce vibe between Sally and Macy in this episode.  I think I'm going to enjoy watching Macy pre-Thorne (I think they don't even meet till she's been on a few months).  I also liked Sally in this era... she wasn't campy at all like she became in the later years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

Episode 522 uploaded today... Macy's debut... I get a Mildred Pierce vibe between Sally and Macy in this episode.  I think I'm going to enjoy watching Macy pre-Thorne (I think they don't even meet till she's been on a few months).  I also liked Sally in this era... she wasn't campy at all like she became in the later years.

Sally and Macy had a definite Mildred Pierce vibe going on...I also loved Sally during this period. She was still a bit over the top, but more grounded. I miss this dynamic of the show. We don't have a good social climber on the show at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

Episode 522 uploaded today... Macy's debut... I get a Mildred Pierce vibe between Sally and Macy in this episode.  I think I'm going to enjoy watching Macy pre-Thorne (I think they don't even meet till she's been on a few months).  I also liked Sally in this era... she wasn't campy at all like she became in the later years.

Macy will not meet Thorne until the Summer, around the time of the Queen Mary fashion show...

 

Sally is indeed a magical character in those old old days. Every scene or storyline she is in feels like must-see-TV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sheilaforever said:

Macy will not meet Thorne until the Summer, around the time of the Queen Mary fashion show...

 

Sally is indeed a magical character in those old old days. Every scene or storyline she is in feels like must-see-TV.

I still hate that they basically killed the whole old Spectra gang...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pdm1974 said:

I also loved Sally during this period. She was still a bit over the top, but more grounded. I miss this dynamic of the show. We don't have a good social climber on the show at this point.

 

IA.  Every soap needs at least one character who is always on the outside looking in, so to speak.  Those are the ones you always find yourself rooting for the most.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Khan said:

 

IA.  Every soap needs at least one character who is always on the outside looking in, so to speak.  Those are the ones you always find yourself rooting for the most.

It's true...Right now, B&B could be called The Rich and The Richer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pdm1974 said:

It's true...Right now, B&B could be called The Rich and The Richer.

This is actually not true: Shauna is the ulatimate social climber. A trashy blonde who fantasized about RIdge whilst reading a gossip magazine...  

 

Just in the past couple of years we had Quinn, Nicole, Ma&Pa Avant, Flo and Dr. B/Zoe as the have-not. Unfortuntaely, this show is always making them rich wayyy too fast, super fast when it comes to wardrobe and they eventually just marry/fall in love witha a FOrrester. At least Zoe recently mentioned that she is broke after beign fired from FC. I agree with you to the extent that it would be nice if SOMEONE would be working his way up (Quinn actually quite good for several years as a solo character until she met Eric...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sheilaforever said:

 (Quinn actually quite good for several years as a solo character until she met Eric...).

I totally agree about Quinn...both she and Eric are way overdue for a story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a few episodes behind on the uploads but just saw Ridge discovering Angela and Stephanie/Eric paying them off. It was a good episode. Of course, it doesn't really make sense why Ridge would just leave to go to a diner. Even in complete shock, he's the type to stay, demand answers, and bulldoze his way through the whole thing. We should've seen his actual exit onscreen but it may have been a half-hour episode limitation or a desire from TPTB not to demand too much from Moss.... ;) Stephanie threatening to kill Angela and reading Todd for filth was fun!

Edited by YRBB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, YRBB said:

I'm a few episodes behind on the uploads but just saw Ridge discovering Angela and Stephanie/Eric paying them off. It was a good episode. Of course, it doesn't really make sense why Ridge would just leave to go to a diner. Even in complete shock, he's the type to stay, demand answers, and bulldoze his way through the whole thing. We should've seen his actual exit onscreen but it may have been a half-hour episode limitation or a desire from TPTB not to demand too much from Moss.... ;) Stephanie threatening to kill Angela and reading Todd for filth was fun!

The next episode is GOLD and yet strange because the most important scene happens halfway through it and not at the end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm up to around episode 346 (I think) and the Angela story has just started. It is such a strange story...I get that it was most likely done to elicit sympathy for Stephanie but I can't imagine what the long term plan was. I know about the ultimate deception but I don't really buy (yet) that it was Bell's intention from the offset.

 

Susan Flannery continues to amaze me. Having only watched from the mid-90s onwards, I'm used to the bulldozer she became, always a hair's breadth from fury. This earlier version is far more nuanced and Flannery's exhausted resignation when she told Eric and then the kids about Angela was perfection. I've always been a Brooke stan but watching these early years does provide so much colour and texture to the later stuff.

Edited by JamesF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...