B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

With all the criticism of Brad Bell and Mal Young it seems no EP can truly do justice for the Bell soaps outside of Bill Bell himself. Alot of posters on this site cite 1996 as a year b&b fell off which is about the time Bill Bell stepped away as head of the show. Similarly when Bill Bell left in 1998, Y&R's slow decline began, even more so after his death in 2005. Other soaps seem to be able to stay afloat despite shifiting regimes but apparenly not the Bell soaps. Yet, desite this they have remained #1 &#2 in ratings despite years of lackluster storylines since about '07ish? 

Perhaps the fact that Y&R and B&B still grant major screen time to their veteran actors and still have a decent production value (compared to GH and DAYS) can be attributed to this?

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Technically but I think Bill Bell was still HEAVILY involved in the writing as he was the sole Executive Producer up until 1996. He did an Emmy TV legends interview in 1998 and it seemed pretty obvious he was still involved in both Y&R and B&B pretty heavily then.  Kay Alden said he still oversaw both (read scripts, etc) up until a few years before he passed. 

I do think 2002 was the last tolerable or somewhat good year of the show.

Edited by Vizion

• Members

I thought Hunter Tylo's 1994 exit was temporary while she filmed a miniseries overseas. I don't remember if she was removed from the credits while she was gone in 1994. Hunter left in 1996 when her contract was up but then came back after being fired from Melrose Place.

If this channel gets further into 1994, we'll be seeing Taylor the Desert Princess. That story was cheesy and sort of offensive IMO.

• Members

I thought it was just a temporary thing too but the way it was paced felt VERY rushed when you look back at the clips. 

It's funny because I was thinking of how the Taylor/Morocco story would play today. I know they were capitalizing off the fact that Hunter had just done some movies in India where I believe she played a princess with Kabir (who played Prince Omar) and Hunter is like half Native American (I think) so I guess they thought that made it ok - but still they really tried it with some of that story and it would never fly today

• Members

@Vizionas far as i remember at first Eric did not want to have an affair with Lauren becouse he loved Stephanie. One day Stephanie's maid found Eric's button in Lauren's Bed (Lauren was staying at Stephanie's). Nothing had happend, Eric was drunk and Lauren took him to bed. Stephanie and Lauren had a huge fight and ask her to leave her House. After that Lauren started to persue Eric becouse she was in love with him. Then one evenig as far as i remember Eric and Lauren had one night stand. Lauren had made a video casset and showed it to Sally. Sally wanted revenge on Stephanie and put a photo out of the video record in the minister's bible. Then this was the end of the wedding. 

• Members

The way I remember it being worded in the soap magazines at the time, she did choose to leave for good, and this was also when her marriage to Michael Tylo first broke up. Then she returned to the show and I think that whole period of time was written off by her as some kind of bad trip (wasn't there something about her being bitten by a snake and being possessed...?).

• Members

Plus, it was hard to buy Eric going for Stephanie when he had an attractive/glamorous girlfriend already except for the money aspect (since I think Stephanie came from money.. and Eric was more middle to upper middle class).

Plus, the first Beth was warm, confident, and still sexy even with the show's attempt at dressing her in casual clothes with her hair up all the time.  Though this Beth vs Stephanie would have been interesting... and it would have explained later plot developments when Brooke/Eric got together since the first Beth and Brooke looked like they could be mother/daughter.

Edited by Soaplovers