soapfan770

Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

The Bold and the Beautiful- Report Card (From the August 31, 1993 SOD)

ACTING-B-

STORIES-A+

ROMANCE-A

HUMOR-B+

LOOK-A+

By Carolyn Hinsey

The Bold and the Beautiful is the most entertaining show on daytime. This show goes from bittersweet to boffo without missing a beat, and is always terrific drama.

B&B is not exactly reality-based, which is ironic, because it is the only soap opera set in a real place- Los Angeles. For example, Brooke (Katherine Kelly Lang) lives in the heart of L.A. Her doorbell rings. "Come in-the door's open!" chirps Ms. Logan. Is it a serial killer? No. it's the terminally preppie Connor (Scott Thompson Baker). He's there to confess his undying love to his former high school crush, who has been very busy since her cheerleading days. (Brooke has borne two-count em, two-illegitimate children since then, by father/son tag team Eric and Ridge Forrester.) With the door still unlocked, Brooke and Connor embrace.

But so what? People don't tune into soap operas to watch their favorite characters pick up their dry cleaning. B&B is never better than when its powerhouse women are going over the top- any combination of Stephanie, Brooke, Sheila and Sally, and my day is made. It's been especially fascinating lately to watch sworn enemies Stephanie (the formidable Susan Flannery) and Sheila (talented Kimberlin Brown) team up against Brooke; patent formulas do indeed make strange bedfellows. Here's Steph during one of the BeLief (Brooke Logan Forrester- Get It?) battles: "You tramp!" Brooke: "You thief!" Stephanie: Slap. Brooke: slap. There's the stoic Eric jumping in to stop them from killing each other. Just another day in Forrester Creations....

I used to think that Brooke was a whiny spoilsport, but lately her story has been the best on the show. (She refers to her enemies now as "the frigging Forresters.") Brooke's battle with the F clan is fraught with peril- and only a Bell show could turn someone that annoying into a sympathetic character. It;s bad enough that Brooke is continually up against that old batlle-ax Steph; add Sheila to Brooke's battle and viewers feel downright sorry for the girl. Who'd have thunk it?

It's particularly refreshing to watch the evolution of Brooke's feelings toward Ridge. I have always found Ridge to be a little stiff. He doesn't have much of a sense of humor, and in the battle for Brooke's affections, it always seemed more logical for Brooke to pick sexy Eric, or now the caring Connor, over the incredible hunk. Of course, there's a lot we don't know about Connor, but knowing talented Head Writer Bradley Bell, we'll find out soon enough.

Ridge (Ronn Moss) and Taylor (Hunter Tylo) seem much better suited for each other, and their recent attempts to make a baby, have steamed up the screen. Taylor's run-ins with Sheila have been tantalizing, and i hope the good doctor gets to treat the bad nurse very soon. Doctor/Patient confidentiality will be the least of Taylor's worries.

Of course, it's not realistic to think that an attempted murderess like Sheila could have actually pulled off her marriage to high-powered Eric (The excellent John McCook). But if ace detective Paul on YOUNG AND RESTLESS had spotted her wedding photo in the Genoa City Chronicle, we wouldn't be watching her delicious antics today. And what fun would that be? Nobody arches an eyebrow better than Kimberlin Brown; I wonder if her evil eye is scripted. But where have Sheila and Eric's love scene been lately? Aren't they newlyweds? Their wedding was strangely perfect, and it was nice to see old do-the-right-thing Eric stand up to his snooty family for the love of a bad woman.

Sally Spectra (Darlene Conley) would be in danger of becoming a caricature if it weren't for her touching relationship with sad sack daughter Macy. Macy and Thorne's (Jeff Trachta) tenuous reconciliation has been an interesting twist, and Bobbie Eakes has given the formerly one-dimensional Macy previously untapped layers. Keith's (Ken LaRon) crush on Macy is intriguing, as race has not been the issue keeping them apart- her alcoholism and her feelings for Thorne are the obstacles. It's tough on a half hour show to properly integrate minority characters but bar owner Keith and his mentally challenged brother Kevin (Keith Jones) are a fresh approach to this dilemma. Maybe Macy's inevitable AA sponser will turn out to be a beautiful Naomi Campbell-ish model.

It's hard to understand Karen's (Joanna Johnson) role in the action as of late. She seems like a poor man's Brooke, rather than the cherished Caroline's reincarnation. Her presence doesn't seem to bother Ridge at all, and she has been shut out in the romance department by both Thorne and Connor. Where is Karen's father, Bill? What does she think of Bill and Darla? How does she feel about Macy and Thorne's rekindled romance? It's hard to get a handle on that character these days and Johnson deserves better.

But all of the other women on B&B more than make up for that by handling - or should we say manhandling- each other. "You Bitch", Sheila snipes as she wheels around to face Stephanie, "Nobody controls Sheila Carter". "Not even Sheila Carter", Steph shoots back.

And here's Brooke promising Sheila that she is going to "give it to Stephanie Forrester in spades". There goes Sheila's eyebrow! We Can't wait.

May the Forresters be with you.

Thanks for sharing this. It's overwritten, as typical of Hinsey, but I agree with most of what she said. They did use Karen very badly, and Sheila was a fun character in these years.

They dropped Keith and Kevin very quickly. It's a shame. But a good example of why I don't think B&B has ever been what it could have been. They always take the easy road.

Thanks for sharing this. It's overwritten, as typical of Hinsey, but I agree with most of what she said. They did use Karen very badly, and Sheila was a fun character in these years.

They dropped Keith and Kevin very quickly. It's a shame. But a good example of why I don't think B&B has ever been what it could have been. They always take the easy road.

Your Welcome!

Reading this again made me a little sad as to what the show could have been. It is nothing without all these interesting characters.

I laughed at the part where she said she found Ridge and Ronn "stiff" and had no sense of humor (sooo true) If only this article came out a couple months later when Ridge nearly killed Brooke by pushing her in the pool and cracking her head open, I can picture her writing something like " I find him stiff and not having a sense of humor (Of course that is probably a good thing since when he tried using his so-called humor by pushing the "focused" Brooke into the Forrester Pool , he nearly put her in a coma"!) LOL biggrin.png

As entertaining as it was, it's sad that Sheila and Eric pretty much were terrible as a married couple. So their wasn't any love scenes. They were much better before they got married IMO.

You know, i have never scene any clips involving Macy's early stories that much, so i have no idea what Keith/Kevin and even that Sly guy are like.

Sheila never actually teamed up with Stephanie right? I know what she was talking about but i thought Stephanie just laughed Sheila off when she wanted to team up with her to take down Brooke.

Edited by yr9190

John McCook is a handsome guy but I can't say I ever found him sexy, or his pairings on the show to be sexy. He just doesn't have that spark, for me. The only guy I ever thought was hot on B&B was Scott Thompson Baker. I remember an episode where he and Karen were going to have sex and Sally and the gang walked in just as his shorts were flying across the room.

Keith and Kevin weren't much at all. I don't even remember it played as any type of attraction. Keith looked out for Macy and clearly cared for her, but I don't think it was reciprocated. Kevin was just there to make some appearances for PSA reasons. He was also fond of Macy.

Sly was just kind of a fun guy, a bit oily, but charming, sometimes. He was more of a rascal. It wasn't until the end that he became, inexplicably, a monster. 1996 was the beginning of the end for B&B.

B&B Synopses Section (March 5, 1991 SOD)

Covering the weeks of February 4-8/11-15 1991.

Felicia arrives at Brooke and Eric's condo, desperate to explain things to her father. She tells Brooke that she'd never have accepted the job offer with Sally if she'd known Eric was going to make a similar offer. Brooke understands, but when Ridge drops by, he angrily informs his younger sister that she's merely being used by Sally in her war against Stephanie and forbids her to work with Spectra.

NO ESCAPE:

Felicia asks Storm for his legal expertise regarding her dilemma. If Sally leaked their deal to the press, Felicia asks, would that make the contract invalid? Yes, says Storm, be he's under the impression that it wasn't Spectra who leaked it, so the contract is airtight. The Young designer will be forced to honor her commitment.

Meanwhile, Eric makes a personal appeal to Sally to release Felicia. She adamantly refuses. Eric is livid and vows that Felicia will never work for her.

JULIE HATCHES A PLAN:

Julie makes an appointment with Sally. When Clarke hears of it, his heart sinks. Ms. Delorean arrives and requests that her meeting with Sally be private. Despite his fear that Julie will betray him to Sally, a panicky Clarke has no alternative but to leave them alone in the office. Julie lies, telling Sally that she has a husband and that the two of them feel the real story is about Sally Spectra Garrison and want to write a book about her. Sally is relieved to hear Julie is married and thrilled to be the subject of a book.

STREET RULES:

Stranded on the streets after her mild stroke, a confused Stephanie Forrester is learning about survival from her new friend, Ruthanne. She's aghast at the living conditions in the condemned hotel. Ruthanne's offer of dinner (canned baked beans) and accommodations ( a filthy mattress on the floor) reduces Stephanie to tears, but her alternative is a park bench, so Mrs. Forrester. grits her teeth and settles down for the night.

Next morning after little sleep, Stephanie tells Ruthanne she could never learn to live like this. Why doesn't she look for a job? the wealthy woman inquires of her protector. What would she wear to a job interview? Ruthanne laughs bitterly, attempting to explain to Stephanie how life on the streets is about survival: finding your next meal, keeping warm. Ruthanne suggests they go to the police, but Stephanie doesn't understand why. Ruthanne's getting tired of Stephanie's confusion and lack of gratitude and begins to leave. Mrs. Forrester panics and begs Ruthanne not to leave her alone.

TINKLE,TINKLE:

Jake is again beginning to question himself: Did he just imagine his childhood sexual abuse at the hands of his father? He confides his doubts to Margo, who finds it difficult to believe that Jake isn't sure about what happened. She invites him and Felicia to a nice dinner with her and Bill, and Jake thinks it's a great idea, until the tinkling sound that periodically torments him returns. It's starting to drive him crazy. He rushes from the room, telling Margo that he must go see someone.

Jake barges into Dr. Hayes office and insists on speaking to her, He tells Taylor that he's afraid he's losing his mind and describes the tinkling sounds he hears. She suspects his auditory hallucinations are related to sexual abuse. She assures him he didn't simply imagine the abuse, and Jake decides to go home and resolve this issue once and for all.

WEIRD SCIENCE:

Eric discovers Brooke conducting an experiment at home in a quest to make cloth diapers waterproof. Her husband is impressed and when Brooke says she misses working at the hospital, Eric suggests they build a lab for her at Forrester. She's thrilled.

BACK AT SPECTRA:

Felicia's feeling gloomy about working at Spectra, but Sally warns her that she'd better put her heart into her designs because Felicia's reputation is on the line. Later, Felicia tries again to avoid the inevitable, asking Macy to help her get out of the contract with Sally.

Later, Ridge tries to involve Thorne in Felicia's problem. Can't he speak to Sally? As her son-in-law, Ridge notes, he must have some influence over her decisions.

DON'T LEAVE ME:

Stephanie and Ruthanne got to the police, but they're too busy to be of much help to the two homeless women and suggest the unlikely duo contact Social Services. Stephanie's upset but Ruthanne promises not to abandon her.

JUST FRIENDS?:

Clarke's upset with Julie for planning a book on Sally. Julie says she knows it's over between them but she hopes they can still be friends. Then she embraces the ambitious designer, kissing him passionately. Clarke finds that he can't help but respond with the same fervor.

Thanks for yr9190 for those synopses and review of B&B. I agree with you its a shame we don't have many early Macy clips. Macy was one of my favorite characters throughout the 90s, although I wouldn't have necessarily called her a sad sack like Hinsey did.

Here's a review from 2000 by soap columnist Tom Smith :

Bold? Yes. But beautiful?

by Tom Smith

Daytime News and Commentary

May 22, 2000

The Bold and the Beautiful is a fun soap opera. It has good characters played by even better actors; a strong, yet accessible sense of history; and entertaining, soapy storylines. Better yet, B&B is a half-hour show, meaning it has less storylines and characters you have to follow than the average soap. If you’re in love with certain characters, you have a good chance of seeing them every day.

Head Writer/Executive Producer Bradley Bell seems to be equally skilled at both of his jobs. (In stark contrast to others who have tried to do both.) This is not terribly surprising, since Bradley Bell is the son of Bill Bell. That's Bill Bell, creator and executive producer of top-rated soap opera, The Young and the Restless, and all around soap legend. It fits then that B&B which follows Y&R in most markets, is a strong number 2 in the ratings.

Bradley Bell has shown a willingness to try new things. He took a huge risk by writing off popular villainess Sheila a couple of years back. (And while the way he chose to do so was, to be blunt, awful, I applaud the move. Sheila had run her course.) He put an end to the long-running Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle, without forgetting that a triangle ever took place. In fact, he’s used elements of it to create new story. He brought in a teen storyline that could interest both teen and adult viewers. On the flipside, Bell is also able to end storylines that clearly aren’t working, such as the one with the strange personal motivator guy that was involved with Taylor awhile back.

In short, Bradley Bell has made use of history while trying new ideas, and has brought many great dramatic scenes, as well as many (gloriously) campy ones.

“Where’s the but, Tom?", you say?

But, I answer, I do wonder just where the show is going lately. There are two main plots right now. Let’s examine one of them.

What follows is some history behind the plot revolving around B&B’s teen characters, namely Rick, Amber, Becky, C.J. and Kimberly. Rick and Kimberly were the couple that are destined to be together. Unfortunately, Rick knocked up Amber, and had to marry her so he could be with his child. What Rick didn’t know was that Amber had a one-night stand with Raymond, an African-American male, and the child could’ve been his. When this was exposed, Rick was understandably upset. Amber fled L.A. to return home to her trailer trash mother, Tawny (played delightfully by Andrea Evans, ex-Tina, OLTL). Amber delivered the child, and, lo and behold, it was white! (Or, at least, it looked that way at birth.) The child must be Rick’s! He must be the newest heir to the Forrester fortune! However, within minutes of his birth, the child stopped breathing, and quickly died. All was not lost for Amber and her even more greedy mother! Also staying with Tawny was Amber’s cousin, Becky. Becky was also very pregnant no visible means of support, and the child’s father nowhere in sight. In fact, Becky was planning to give the child up for adoption. So, as any two soap tricksters would do, Amber and Tawny tricked Becky into believing she was giving the child up for adoption, while they were actually going to pass it off as Rick and Amber’s.

After nearly a year of continued lies, deceit, and treachery (you know, all the things that help make good soap), Becky finally reclaimed her child and forced an already wavering Amber to admit the truth to Rick, as well as the rest of the Forresters, including Rick’s "grandmother" (in quotes, cause of some straaaange family history), Stephanie, who was defending Amber. The revelation scenes were brutal. Rick was horrified. Stephanie was devastated. And Amber was torn to shreds, finally having to pay for her deceit. That Amber had constantly felt guilt and horror over how low she was sinking only added to thepay off of her downfall.

Unfortunately, it’s been all downhill since then. The first misstep was having Becky decide that Amber was merely making a mistake when she decided to keep the baby from Becky, and later guilted Becky into letting her keep the child even longer. After all, Becky was going to give it up for adoption, and Amber was in this bind, and she’s paying for it now...so, now, Becky and Amber live together. Amber takes care of the baby during the day while Becky’s at work, and waits tables at night. Meanwhile, ever-generous Becky also realizes that it would be horrible for her son to be cut off from the only father he’s ever known, so she allows Rick to see the child as often as possible. This gives Rick plenty of opportunity to see Amber, and notice that Amber really is turning her life around and trying to be a good person. Not that he really forgives Amber, mind you. He’s just realized that he can share the same breathing space with her.

Wait, it gets better. One day, Becky has a physical. Some time later, Amber gets a call from a doctor with the results of the physical. Deciding that Becky wouldn’t mind if Amber got the results of Becky’s physical to share with her later, Amber pretends to be Becky over the phone. Surprise! Becky has pancreatic cancer. If she lives six months, it’ll be a miracle. Amber learns there are some drug therapies that can improve Becky’s health, but they won’t work very long. Amber, the newly unselfish heroine, is devastated for her cousin. Becky finally has her child, a job, and a loving boyfriend, C.J. How can Amber tell her cousin she’s dying? She can’t. So, she doesn’t. Continuing to pose as Becky, Amber gets prescriptions filled for the drugs Becky should be taking, and mixes them into Becky’s drinks.

As time progresses, virtually every character on the show learns that Becky is dying--except Becky. Everybody agrees Becky should be told;no one has the guts. When the torch gets passed to C.J., he proposes to Becky instead of telling her the truth. Now, Becky and C.J. are engaged. Recently, Becky’s parents have come to town. They think Becky and C.J. are too young to get married, and suspect Becky’s pregnant (again.) Ten to one they learn of their daughter’s imminent demise before she does. (And I don’t even gamble!)

This current storyline is a laugh riot. It’s the sort of camp B&B does so well. In fact, B&B, which I assume is supposed to be taken fairly seriously, has a better handle on satirizing the genre than Passions, which desperately wants to be a soap and a parody of a soap, only to fail on both measures. The downfall is that this story is headed towards one resolution: One day, way down the road, Becky WILL learn she’s dying. Becky will make arrangements for her son‘s future, and she will decide to leave her son in Amber’s care. Becky will die. And Rick and Amber will be constantly thrown together because of the child, will become an odd set of surrogate parents for the child, and one thing will lead to another...

In order to keep Amber viable and on the canvas, she needs to stay connected to the Forresters, since they are THE family on the show. This is not easy, since Amber has angered every member of the family. Already, we’re seeing Amber change, and become “a goodperson.” That by itself won’t be enough, especially if Amber is to be connected to Rick. The Forresters would accept that Amber has changed her wicked ways, and would say, “Aw, that’s nice.” But, no way would they let her have the place in their lives she used to have. But, give Amber the baby, and that really gives her and Rick something to bond over. And all the Forresters clan loves the baby, especially matriarch Stephanie.

UGH. I can’t believe I’m saying this about the man who had the guts to get rid of Sheila Carter, but Bradley Bell needs to let Amber go. Change or no change, baby or no baby, the Forrester clan would never be so welcoming of Amber. No one would, especially Rick. Amber came, she served her purpose, and now she should disappear. Why is Bell jumping through hoops to keep her around? Is it the actress herself? Adrienne Frantz, while certainly well cast as Amber, is not, I repeat N-O-T the second coming of Bette Davis. I don’t care what the soap press or the academy says. I don’t care how many rivers Franz can flow on cue. She’s not worth the writing gymnastics Bell is putting himself through.

Is the undeniable chemistry between Franz and Justin Torkildsen, the actor who plays Rick. Oh, they have a lot of chemistry when they’re angry at each other, or when they’re trying to make their marriage work. Sort of a comedic, Married...with Children chemistry. But, as a root-for romantic pair, they don’t even begin to cut it. Is it the incredible lack of chemistry between Torkildsen and Ashley Lyn Cafagna, the actress who plays Kimberly? Yes, Rick and Kimberly are absolutely boring, and have zero sparks. Nothing that can’t be corrected with a little personality injection into Kimberly. If that fails, perhaps Cafagna can be recast, or the character written out all together. Bring in a new love interest, if necessary. But, putting Rick and Amber together is a big mistake. And having Rick torn between the two women, a la Brooke/Ridge/Taylor is a huge mistake.

The worst part is that in order to keep Amber onscreen, and in-story, the more naturally viable character of Becky is being tossed out the window. Not only does Becky have a genuine, healthy connection to the Forresters through the baby, her relationship with C.J., son of Sally Spectra, connects her to B&B’s other core group of characters. Plus, there is actual chemistry between the actors who play Becky and C.J. Dare I say, if B&B were to let their relationship develop, they could have an actual supercouple on their hands. Yet, it appears all this is being sacrificed to keep Amber, a character who has long run her course, on-screen. Strange and disappointing to see Bradley Bell apparently ignoring natural story opportunities and inventing artificial ones.

Next week, I’ll touch on B&B’s other major storyline, the Brooke/Thorne/Macy triangle.

All Brad Bell ever did was ignore natural story opportunities. That's why he can only write about bad attempts at social issues, and relatives nailing each other.

I thought the Becky story was good, and not campy, but they shouldn't have killed her off. That was also the last story Amber had which didn't suck.

So much Amber hate in that article...I love it & agree 100%.

I also loved the Becky storyline and would've preferred if she stayed. I had forgotten how everyone knew Becky was dying except for Becky that is.

Becky found out when she got a phone call right before the wedding.

It was a waste to kill her off and then an even bigger waste to get rid of Mick Cain.

GIVE ME THE BROOKE/THORNE/MACY ARTICLE!

Here ya go :)

A SOAP TRIANGLE FROM...

by Tom Smith

Daytime News and Commentary

June 5th, 2000

Last time, I promised you a column on The Bold and Beautiful’s Brooke/Thorne/Macy triangle. And, here it is. First, let me lay out what I think are the keys to a successful triangle. There are two directions in which a triangle can go. One is to present the possibility of two couples that are both potentially interesting. This means that both couples should be able to draw a sizable fanbase. There should be a sizable amount of chemistry between both potential couples. There should be a sizable amount of potential long-term story for either couple.

The other way is to have a triangle where there is only one favorable choice. This is a triangle that consists of the two lovers destined to be together, and the third wheel. The third wheel can be sympathetic or a conniving schemer. But, in the end, there is no way that the third wheel can come between the fan-favorite couple whose love is written in the stars.

And then, there’s a third way. This way is not the recipe for a successful triangle. This triangle presents two potential pairings, of which neither are rootworthy. In fact, both of them are cringeworthy. In this case, at least one (sometimes all three) of the players involved are completely unlikable, making it impossible to care about who they end up with. This is the route B&B has chosen with the Brooke/Thorne/Macy triangle.

Thorne and Macy were the couple to root for. Unfortunately, since the decision was made to replace Jeff Trachta, the original actor who played Thorne, with Winsor Harmon, the current actor who plays Thorne, the chemistry between Thorne and Macy has disappeared. Nothing against Harmon as an actor, but it’s just not the same. Perhaps Head Writer/Executive Producer Bradley Bell realized this as well, and decided to essentially break Thorne and Macy up, and try Thorne with other female characters. Unfortunately, Thorne’s pairings have consisted of a mercifully brief whatever-it-was with Taylor. Taylor was Ridge’s then-former flame and current wife. And now Brooke. Brooke is another of Ridge’s former flames. Brooke was desperately in love with Ridge. Brooke was also married to both Ridge and Thorne’s father, Eric. She has two kids fathered by Eric. Would you fall madly, deeply in love with a woman who has been involved with your father and older brother?

Well, Thorne would. And we know Brooke would, given her history with the Forrester men. At the time, Thorne’s off again/on again relationship with Macy was supposed to be on again, but somehow, Thorne just couldn’t resist the charms of Brooke. (Perhaps Thorne just wanted to see what all the fuss was about.) Knowing it would devastate Macy, and anger the rest of his family, Thorne proceeded into a secret relationship with Brooke, while pretending to still love Macy. Thorne’s mother, Stephanie, found out, and went stark-raving mad--literally. (This was the stuff Stephanie's portrayer, Susan Flannery, won the Emmy for.) Stephanie had a stroke, and when she recovered, she had no memory of ever learning about the tryst to begin with. Pressured by Eric and Ridge, who had also learned the truth, Thorne continued to keep the tryst a secret. He did refuse to participate in a shot gun wedding to Macy that the family organized around Christmas. But that’s about where he drew the line.

Here’s where it gets really nauseous. Following the wedding bell bust, Macy eventually figured out that Thorne wanted Brooke and not her. Macy bowed out, and didn’t tell Stephanie the truth, out of concern for her health. Eric and Ridge, however, wanted the Brooke and Thorne relationship over, and Brooke out of the picture for good. Ridge, usually the dumbest character on the show, actually devises a good plan. (Well, good for these purposes, anyway.) Ridge,Taylor, Brooke and Thorne are going to Venice on business. While in Venice, Ridge and Taylor pretend they’re having marital problems. At some point, Taylor will tell Brooke that their marriage is over for good. Then, Ridge will put the moves on Brooke, and Brooke will give in, because deep down she still wants Ridge.

It worked. Even better, Thorne caught Brooke giving into Ridge’s plan, when he spied her kissing him. Thorne was steamed; Brooke was busted.

Everyone returned home, except Thorne, who disappeared after witnessing what happened. (Actually, he didn’t quite disappear. He wandered around Venice for a week, in the rain, crying, and screaming “WHY!” louder than Nancy Kerrigan with two whacked knees.) When Brooke finally caught up with Thorne, she gave him a half-assed explanation about how she’d been set up, and how everyone was out to get them and destroy their love, blah, blah, blah. Thorne seemed to be buying it, but there was one problem; he had married Macy on the rebound.

Recently, we’ve had to endure Thorne and Brooke trying to make the best of what happened and forget their undying love. (They couldn’t.) We’ve had to witness everyone try to keep secret the real reason Thorne married Macy, from Macy. (They didn’t.) And when Macy found out, we had to see if she, a former alcoholic could resist the temptation of returning to the bottle. (She didn’t.) Now, Thorne realizes he wants to be with Brooke, but he still feels loyal to Macy, and fears his leaving will send her back to the bottle for good.

Thorne and Macy are over. That’s a given. Macy is no longer in love with Thorne, she’s dependent on him. And he feels sorry for her. And why did Macy, who bowed out of Thorne’s life, remarry him so quickly, with basically no questions asked? Throw in Macy’s fall off the wagon, and she’s now a drunken moron. Stick a fork in this couple, they’re done.

But Thorne and Brooke? As mentioned, Brooke has been with every Forrester man she can get her hands on; Thorne was just the last one in line. Deep down, Brooke wants Ridge. It doesn’t matter what plot Ridge cooked up. He didn’t force Brooke down on the bed,and he didn’t pull her lips to his. Brooke herself has admitted this, yet still manages to play it off as a moment of weakness. Does Thorne want a woman who could forget him so easily for his older brother? Does Brooke want a man who would dump her, and remarry his old flame at the first sign of trouble?

Harmon and Katherine Kelly Lang, the actress who plays Brooke, do have chemistry. But, it’s not the “We’re so in love, we must be together” kind the writers are promoting. It’s the “Damn, you is hot! Let’s get it on” type. The writers write love; the actors portray lust. Lust may be the stuff of hot sex scenes, but it doesn’t make for long-lasting, rootable couples.

So, I can’t root for Thorne/Brooke. They’re two mismatched dogs in heat. I can’t root for Thorne/Macy, because they’re pathetic and clingy. And if I can’t root for anybody, then this is just a big waste of time. (And since this is one of a mere three storylines that B&B has going on right now, I mean this a BIG waste of time.)

*Sigh.* I wonder what AMC is doing right now. Actually do I even want to know?

Thanks for sharing this. I thought Brooke and Thorne were a strong couple, in spite of the bad writing. I did hate what they did to Macy.

For now I'm only including the B&B recaps from 1992 after Sheila arrived. If anyone wants to see more I will include those. I have a few other 1992 issues elsewhere, can't get to them at the moment.

August 4 issue.

SOD8492045.jpg

September 19 issue.

SOD9192046.jpg