B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Does anyone think Mick would have worked had a different actor played him?  

I hadn't seen season 3 for awhile..but I recall he still wanted Kristen...but was also being pursued by Macy (pre Thorne)...while Donna kind of liked him..yet also knew he was leading Macy on.  I'm wondering had a different actor played Mick..if all that would have continued instead of all that being dropped.

• Members

I can't help but think that Mick was always intended to be a short term character who served as a catalyst for other characters' development. I think he was cast exactly with this plot function in mind, and left when that mission was accomplished.

The way I see it, he had two main roles:

1) To break up Clarke and Kristen in a way that would make Clarke the injured party (in spite of Clarke having been the "bad guy" in the relationship up until that point). This gave Clarke a motivation for being bitter towards the Forresters and drove him firmly into the Spectra camp in the upcoming Spectra/Forrester feud, as well as freeing him up to marry Sally.

2) To flesh out Macy's character and strenghten her bond with Sally. Macy was an entirely new and unknown character at the time who needed to be developed in order for the viewers to get invested in her (in anticipation of the Macy/Thorne storyline). Her being led on by Mick and having her heart broken accomplished that, and put her in a position where pairing her with Thorne (who had also recently been dumped) felt organic. It was also the final push that made Macy develop her characteristically close (almost symbiotic) relationship with her mother.

• Members

Interesting points. I always though that the show wanted THIS actor and Jeff Connaway was only willing to sign a shortterm contract as he was somewhat a "name actor". Terri Ann Linn also wanted out if remember correctly. That's why Mick&Kristen didn't go any further and left rather abruptly in January 1990.

• Members

Major THANK YOU to our benefactor. It is indeed a dream come true to have the chance to (re)watch these episodes...

I'm currently at #1382. Lauren Fenmore has arrived in Los Angeles and Sheila's wonderful new life in L.A. is about to crash and burn. But hey, she just started therapy with Dr. Garvin who - while still a live - is not yet having his own office and offering consultations in Taylor's office and the Forrester Creations infirmary. Highly unusual for the early 1990s, but so common for soaps in 2021 where few people have their own set. LOL

For those who reached this far or further: what's your assessment on the show tackling Sheila's backstory?

I'm kind of torn. While Sheila is a fascinating character (her two-sided relationships with JUDY, Brooke and Taylor) and Kim Brown is playing all the beats to it, I don't think B&B viewers were given a proper introduction to Sheila's story on Y&R. The first flashbacks just started, but I think this is little to little (and late) if you NEVER knew Sheila before. Nowadays we know all that is coming and have seen the Y&R baby switch backstory (if only in flashbacks). The few references to Y&R in those first 4 months of Sheila's life in L.A. were too vague and ambigous to paint the full picture, IMO. However, I just realized that if Brad Bell gets his act together: KImberlin Brown will celebrated her 30th anniversary on B&B this May! She was gone for many years in between but this is still a HIGHLY unexpected milestone anniversary.

• Members

I agree there could have been more flashbacks upon Sheila's BnB debut. Also, the scenes that aired on YR, I think on 5/20/92, of Sheila at the diner recovering after escaping the farmhouse fire - perhaps these scenes should have just aired on BnB instead, to show the viewers more where Sheila was coming from.

Besides that, though, I think the show did an incredible job of incorporating Sheila in the Forrester world.

I do think CBS aired promos during both YR and BB to add more color... there's a summer '92 BnB Promo where Sheila is "The Hand that Rocks the Cradle", obsessed with Eric Jr.

• Members

There were some terrific angles. As someone else pointed out before: Sheila fake-befriending Brooke and teaming up with Stephanie was AMAZING for instance. And the romance with Eric is heartwearming, even though Miss Carter is not that ar from her slightly too tight grip with which she pursued Scott Grainger. 

You're right about CBS promoting the hell out of the crossover. There are many promos on YouTube. And of course Y&R was No 1 so it made sense to stub Y&R viewers into checking out B&B. However, outside the US nobody knew about Sheila. And by 1992 B&B was just sooo big worldwide that this should have been considered somewhat more.

• Members

The official B&B YouTube channel have kindy created a playlist of key Betty White’s episodes for anyone interested. The episodes had already been available but now easier to locate via the playlist.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AusBoldFan

• Members

About the crossovers I want to say that i like having the whole story like they did whith Sheila coming to B&B. They tried to tell us some things about Lauren too. But later in the years when Amber went to and back crossing B&B and Y&R and also Deacon, and now Sheila's last years we know nothing about what happend to them in Y&R, right?

Edited by Marquise