B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

He stepped away as headwriter in 1993 and as EP in 1996 but I believe he was still heavily involved with both shows until he got sick and I think that was around 2001/2002. He was still consulting on story which Kay Alden confirmed. 

Edited by Vizion

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I had only noticed two episodes from Amy with songs muted, which I already requested and @rsclassicfanforever already redid those, so that shouldn't be an issue.

My concern is that someone on the other thread mentioned the YouTube versions have scenes cut. I haven't watched them so I don't know to what extent that is the case. Probably best to preserve both versions if we can.

• Members

Thanks for the info. I read that thread, a user mentions the first ever slap between Stephanie and Brooke was cut from the YouTube episodes. This isn’t correct - see 11 minutes into episode 283 (below). Unless they fixed up later?

Do we know for sure whether the YT episodes have trimmed scenes? I know there was a technical error with episode 271 which went dark after 16 minutes - they have fixed that particular episode in the last 48 hours.

Edited by AusBoldFan

• Members

271 and 283 have been replaced on YouTube, with 30 minute versions with black chunks for commercial placeholders. Better than the mess that was uploaded originally. They weren't deliberate cuts, just faulty uploads. If you dragged the timer along the bottom for the original uploads, you could see that the full episodes were there, you just couldn't watch them. You can't check that now they've been replaced, but that was the case, just faulty uploads, no deliberate cutting.

People complained in the comments for these episodes, so thankfully TPTB took notice and replaced.

Edited by BoldKara

• Members

Just my two cents. Wait for the arrival of Mick Savage; this is when Kristen started to loose her appeal. She was written off in January 1990 - and definitely NOT missed. Her return in 1992 didn't make me love the character again. The chemistry with Clarke was still there, but he was written a s complete jerk back at that time (played compellingly by Dan McVicar). However, Kristen acted rather wishy-washy with him, sometimes calling him out on his BS and then keeping silent about it. Her subesequent returns in 1993 and 1994 were only for weddings if I recall. The 2001 return was a complete waste of time because Kristen & Tony were just an ill-plotted storyline which could have been good. 

• Members

I have to say, watching these old episodes again, I have got a whole new appreciation for Dan McVicar's Clarke! He manages to play a completely amoral and self-centered character who routinely lies and cheats and only cares about his own career, and still he remains charming and funny. 

• Members

Dan McVicar sure was fantastic in his inital run. He also had chemistry with ALL the woman he was paired or sparred with. That's why it is kinda sad that his 1996 amounted to nothing after the Unicorn Fashions storyline. The closest he then came to a storyline was being Morgan's sidekick in 2000. Therefore it was rather surprising that the show used Clarke for someof the Jackie M stuff even though he was poor man's copy of his former self then.

• Members

Clarke Garrison was B&B version of "Tad The Cad", many soaps in the 1980s seemed to have their own version to varying degrees of success, but McVicar did a very good job of walking that tightrope.

He's a character that could return to the canvas and if written competently, could be highly effective, with McVicar in the role. 

Don't hit me, but I actually think he and Teri Ann Linn had easy chemistry together. It's giving me ideas, lol.

In that initial run, McVicar was so effective of leaving Clarke ambiguous where his true feelings lay. Of course, the writing also made this possible.

You were always wondering if and to what extent was it possible that Clarke, on some level was capable of true love of another person?

• Members

ITA. It wasn't a censored episode or anything, there was clearly something wrong, possibly something went awry during the upload process (perhaps the perils of going directly from analog to YouTube without a digital conversion?). I noticed that the time stamp had thirty minutes, which is odd since the run times are usually 21 minutes or so, but at least there were no missing scenes or sequences, so I could deal with it and most, importantly, the slap was included this time.