B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

Man, these Breacon Playlist episodes are great. I appreciate that they post Season 1 & 2 but my main interest in this show is more like 1992-2005 and I began watching myself around 2008. 

I really enjoy seeing Taylor, Deacon, Brooke, Amber and even young Zende!

The biggest waste of potential is not having Maya/Rick/Amber on now

Please register in order to view this content

I wish the other shows would take charge like this as well but maybe easier with a thirty minute show. Y&R could have done the same for Nikki & maybe Leslie. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

It's interesteding that while Peter Brown's final appearence was July 25, 1992, he continues to be in the credits well into September. My take is that he worked way over his episode guarantee in the previous months (146 episodes in 15 months which is a lot...), so he was kept on for another 13 week contract cycle... Or they simply missed to terminate his contract. LOL

• Members

I'm watching around 880 and the Ben Maclaine actor has been added and removed randomly. It's very noticeable as he is the first actor listed. That's just an example of the hiccups at times. Joanna Johnson was left for a while in the closing credits after Caroline died, whilst her image was removed immediately after she died in the opening titles. Other times, they have used the actor as the character eg Scott Clifton played by Liam Spencer.

At the moment, Kimberlin Brown is listed BEFORE Darin Brooks, and has been since she returned.

Fire the interns!!!

Edited by BoldKara

• Members

When Brooke was married to Bill, KKL was credited as Brooke Logan Forrester on the closing for the entire duration of their marriage. Do they think us fans don’t notice this stuff haha. Most people skip the credits, I actually watch them because I love the aerial footage, and of course the closing theme (however I don’t like the current closing theme).

I think you’re right @BoldKara they must leave the closing credits as a job for the interns

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AusBoldFan

• Members

It was....weird. 

I guess I got the appeal of Bridge prior to 1992 (but not really because of the Caroline factor) but from 1992-2002 the triangle almost solely consisted of Brooke boohoo'ing and telling Ridge they were destiny and him rejecting her for Taylor. The execption being 1994 when Taylor returned. None of the characters were written particularly well or with much depth though they all had moments I guess? I wish they would have focused more on actually writing better for all 3 characters than just playing the same tired beats over and over. 

Also I think Tylo's exits greatly affected the writing. KKL and Moss had made it pretty clear that they were content and fine with being lifers on Bold whereas Hunter made it pretty clear that was not in her plans and that disrupted a lot - Hunter always had one foot out of the door. She left in 1994, then returned later in the year, told them in 1995 she was leaving again, left in early 1996 and then returned later that year, and 2000 and 2001 was just some messy back and forth with Hunter and the show because she wanted outs and the ability to do other things and they weren't keen on giving it to her because it would disrupt story arcs (which eventually led to them killing off Taylor in 2002 and then asking Hunter back yet again in 2004). I actually think part of the reason Brooke and Thorne ended so abruptly is because the show thought Hunter was going to leave (she was ONLY agreeing to sign 6 month contract extensions in 2001).

But for me the prime of that triangle was actually 1993 from Ridge choosing Taylor which led to Brooke's bitterness and taking the company and then when James was introduced. 1993 was the best year of the show for several reasons- it was the only time Bold reached its potential IMO (and its unfortunate that it was really short lived).

I will forever lament the fact that Bill Bell turned it over and Hunter left because they were setting up some interesting dynamics and IMO a stale story (we had already seen a lot of it with Caroline/Ridge/Brooke) had some new life breathed ino it. Also the writing was just SO MUCH SMARTER and all four actors really took to it. 

We got some interesting scenes between Ridge and Sheila

I also preferred James in 1993 more than later years when I felt he had less of a backbone and became a little too preachy.

And Stephanie, Jack, Sheila and Eric were weaved into the story well since the fate of Taylor/Ridge/Brooke also had a HUGE effect on Forrester Creations so the stakes felt higher

Brooke arriving to a Forrester dinner with James and conflict starting between Taylor and Stephanie 

Brooke and Taylor arguing over what happened in Big Bear

If you watch the scenes leading up to Taylor's death and then the scenes when she wakes up in Morocco, the quality in the writing (and frankly the overall look of the show) is like night and day. Just such a steep decline. I enjoyed the Morocco story fine but when I go back and watch late 1994 compared to early 1994...it is really obvious that the quality just wasn't the same - it really lacked elegance and care.

• Members

Merry Christmas to all of you! 

1994-1995 was my favorite period too. I was hooked on the Princess Leyla storyline and the Thorne/Macy storyline. 

I was thinking and this question came to mind: If you could pick just one character-defining scene or storyline for each major character, that is, something that captures the essence of who they are as a person, what would it be?

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

very interesting question! The first stories that come to my mind are: Felicia's cancer/death story and Stephanie - it shows how much Stephanie cares for her family and her children. Brooke's Barabados story - Brooke losing her mind becouse she thinks that Stephanie will take them away from her - shows how much she loves them (but that is 1996 and then things change a bit but still..) and her memory coming back when she sees Ridge shows how much he means to her! 

I will think about more stories!

Edited by Marquise