B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

This is new and not classic, but I thought I would post it here for the benefit of those collecting episodes. I just discovered a B&B Swiss instagram account that's posting current episodes daily, and marks the episode number.  Almost current -- they are are few months behind the US. Everything is in French.  They call it "Top Models".  The opening credits are the same but uses different music with vocals.  You all probably knew about this but I just discovered it and thought it was cool.

https://www.instagram.com/boldandbeautifulswiss/

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I thought the same thing. Even more oddly, that particular broadcaster changes the closing distribution slide at the end of each episode to an older version that was discontinued in 2019. Given the episodes are recent, they would be receiving episodes with the current BBL ending:

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Ah, it's between 15 (?) years that I've seen a clip of "Top Models". Back in the day, the show aired at 6.25 (?) pm in the evening - in SAP (FRench/ENGlish). Apparently, the show now airs at noon. It remains weird that they still call it "Top Models" as the French titles is much more befitting considering that for many years there weren't any models feautured on the show at all. LOL

The in-sync closing titles clips is pretty cool.
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CW32lWNoiBP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
And the cheesy song for the opening titles is weird as hell, but I like it. *ducks* Maybe I can win more followers for it by translating that the refrain "nos lendemain" means "our next day/tomorrow" for instance... Pretty swell for a soap, right? 

EDIT: I found the gull song on YouTube

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

I just watched episode 956 and I realized the background music is gone. It's the weirdest thing. Is it the same for everyone? The voices are all there, it's just the music that's missing.

It took me a while to figure out why the whole episode seemed a bit off, then it hit me.

• Members

Wow, TYVM for this. I understand German and French very well but didn't know this Instagram account until today. As I said in a previous post, I have tons of episodes in French (most episodes between june 2010 and 2021; some 2012 and 2014 segments missing though) if anyone is interested. But a lot of them are from France2 tv (same language but another channel with other opening/closing credits). Swiss used to have a Facebook page with full episodes but it was shut down in 2019. I'm very glad I discovered this Instagram page thanks to you.

I haven't been reading this page lately.  So Thanks again for the 1993 episodes that are currently added to the Vault, and thanks to all the contributors.

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by Jennybold1974

• Members

There’s actually a handful of episodes without score music. I have come across 4 or 5. I should have noted the episode numbers. I doubt very much RTL/Videoland removed the backing tracks. I suspect there was a mixup with the version the Distributor supplied RTL.

From a technical perspective, there are multiple tracks (voice and music) on content. Broadcasters can opt to receive content with or without tracks for the purposes of dialogue replacement/voiceover into local languages.

Edited by AusBoldFan

• Members

I have the German version of 956 and it has background music, so it's definitely an issue with the RTL Lounge broadcast, not the original US episode.

I can understand versions without dialogue being used for dubbing, but a version with the dialogue left in but the music gone just seems so random (and useful only to aspiring film music composers who would like to make their own background scores for practice).

• Members

Content can be distributed with or without a score track too. RTL would have no rational justification to mute the score track unless they did so in error - 5 times. I’m inclined to think the distributor sent out the wrong version.

Edited by AusBoldFan

• Members

Probably, yeah!

What really strikes me is how at first when I saw the episode, I thought the acting was unconvincing. It wasn't until a while in that I realized it wasn't the acting that was worse than usual, it was the emotional cues provided by the music that were missing! And it hit me that the background music that we take for granted actually can make the acting seem more convincing (or less, if it's the wrong music).

I think this could be an important lesson for the current writers/directors/producers, because often when I watch current episodes the backgrund music actually takes away from the mood the characters are trying to portray. I thought about it a lot at the time of Kimberlin Brown's latest return, when she was playing Sheila subtly while there were anvils dropping all over the background score. (It sometimes reached the point where the ominous background music drowned out the dialogue of Sheila's scenes - and they weren't even very dramatic scenes.)