B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Indeed - two dramatic confrontations at gun point in the same summer! 

The final scenes with Anthony and Macy were chilling, the way that everything played out like a romantic date on the surface level, but underneath it was a deadly cat and mouse game where both of them were secretly plotting to destroy the other. There were obvious hints of Shakespeare's Othello as well (with a tape recorder playing the role of the handkerchief). 

• Members

Ivana dating Thorne after Dylan choosing Jessica...then stalking Macy before Anthony kills her.  Then Macy and Anthony's showdown was awesome as well.  Last time Macy received decent writing and focus.

I thought beefing up the younger set with Jasmine and Michael was smart...but neither character was used well.

Sheila's departure was a long time coming and was satisfying...but I would have waited a year or so before being back.

Wasn't 1995 when Bill Bell left the day to day stuff to his son..proving talent isn't inherited 

• Members

I have to say, I barely even remember anything about the last few months of 1995. I just remember, like you say, the absolute awesomeness of the spring and summer, and the feeling that everything just kind of wrapped up at Thorne and Macy's beach wedding. I even remember thinking at that point that it almost felt like the show was ending and those scenes were like an epilogue. Everyone in the cast was there, it was a joyous wedding that everyone approved of (how often has that happened?), it seemed like the principal couples were all paired up in a way that could be the end game (Eric and Stephanie were pretty friendly, Ridge had just made his decision to stay married to Brooke, Thorne and Macy finally got their happy ending after years of misery), the Forresters and Spectras were getting along okay (except for the kids), and the major psychos were safely behind bars. The A, B, and C storylines had all been resolved during the summer, and it took a while to get new frontburner storylines going.

That's interesting! I have been wondering about when we'll see a shift in writing style. I'm only at early 1991 right now, so I'm not there yet. I wonder who has the most influence over the general "feel" of the show - the head writer or the executive producer. Going by what I remember, I seem to recall one clear "shift" by 1996/1997 and another one around 2003.

Edited by Videnbas