B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

That's a tough one, especially if "best" means "objectively" most interesting, most complex, most well developed, best written, and so on, rather than just our personal favorites. Also, there are several very good characters who have been ruined by out of character writing (in that case, I prefer to remember them as they were when they were at their peak). But I'll give it a try.

1) Stephanie, and it isn't even close. This one pretty much goes without saying. She is everything. She has a whole universe of different thoughts and emotions inside her and she lights up every scene she is in, in a "can't take your eyes off her" kind of way. (However, I have to admit that even Stephanie's character was pulled a bit out of character at the end, when she lost her subtlety and became "Gangsta Grandma").

2) Sally. Just as indisputably #2 as Stephanie is #1. Completely unforgettable, original, and a scene-stealer. She could easily have become a joke, but this was successfully averted by giving Sally a warm and soft heart underneath the tough surface, and by mixing her comedy with elements of tragedy. And she stayed in character no matter what, for almost two decades.

This is where there is a huge distance to #3, and it gets really difficult...

3) Although I don't really like the character, I'm going to have to go with Brooke (not anymore, but as she was originally written). Original Brooke actually had a lot of subtlety and dimensions, and she truly came to life through her rivalry with Stephanie. I'd say she earned this place as long as there were many dimensions to her and she wasn't just used to create scandal. After all, the show wouldn't have been B&B without her.

4) Sheila (as written 1992-1998). The show did a good job creating a truly frightening character who still had something in her that made you almost feel sorry for her. And she was intelligent and witty.

Now it gets even tougher because I try not to play favorites and un-favorites with the characters I personally like or don't like.

5) Macy. I feel this character took a while to fully develop, but once she did, she was very dynamic because she could believably cover the entire spectrum from being on top of the world to hitting rock bottom, and was equally human and relatable at both ends (whether she was performing in a stadium in front of 10000 people, or lying passed out in an alley in a pile of garbage). She also had this warmth about her, and she brought out that quality in other characters as well.

6) Caroline. She had a wonderful story arc where she really came of age before our eyes, had all of her illusions broken, picked up the pieces, moved on, built a new worldview, triumphed, was forced to face her mortality, and finally came to terms with it before her untimely death. And she was quite complex in that she had a lot of subconscious desires that went against her image of herself as a "good girl".

7) Bill Spencer Sr. The original "powerful man" on B&B, and a more commanding presence than any of his successors. Also a man of many faces - overprotective father, upstanding moral citizen, publisher of seedy magazines, respectable husband with not so respectable desires...

Please register in order to view this content

Taylor (that's supposed to be a number 8 but the computer won't let me!) I found Taylor hard to place but her significance on the show means she has to be up there somewhere. It's hard to describe her character in the early years because there was always this cool analytical distance about her - and maybe that was exactly her strength in a show filled with characters controlled by their emotions.

9) Ridge (as played by RM). He is a one-note character for sure, but what an entertaining note! His arrogance and boyish charm make him the archetypal Don Juan and a believable object of all those women's desire. B&B wouldn't have been the same without him.

10) Eric. Not as colorful as many others on the list, but he has nevertheless been a stabilizing factor through the years as the founder of Forrester Creations and the father of six other characters who have played a major part on the show.

Honorable mentions: Margo, Clarke, Thorne, Darla, Saul, Bridget, Aly, Amber (and I never even liked Amber)... oh, and Deacon. Deacon almost made my list.

Edited by Videnbas

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I was stunned to see how flawed Eric and Ridge were from day one. It actually made me like both characters more, although I do think they have more depth and motivation for their actions in these 1987 episodes. Stephanie is another big shock to me. In the beginning the cast has a lot of green actors and some duds and Susan Flannery elevates every scene and often goes beyond the page. I feel like her casting is critical to the show working. Stephanie is also easier to understand now seeing her backstory. You get the sense that other peoples actions truly did drive her to becoming as assertive as she became.

The one character I find I like LESS is Brooke. I was under the impression she met Ridge randomly. I didn't know she went out of her way to befriend Caroline and try to steal Ridge away from her. I just got to Caroline's rape and it's just unfathomable to me that she is the best friend who came to support her during this low point in her life and later she'll go on to steal her man. 

• Members

Have dropped better versions of the following episodes into the Vault. These are direct rips, no screen recordings:

1992-09-29 Ep# 1384 [10play full edit - Sheila vs Lauren] (other offerings of this episode in the Vault are lesser in quality)

1997-10-29 Ep# 2661 [10play full edit - Lake Como Fashion Show] (Original music tracks, longer runtime than the 2020 CBS broadcast replay)

1999-08-03 Ep# 3103 [10play full edit - Brooke vs Stephanie] (uncut original edit. The 2020 CBS edit in the Vault has a shorter runtime, the other offering is bad quality)

Can someone delete the lesser quality duplicates of these 3 episodes?

If someone could please help grab the Brooke's Bedroom episode from 10play that would be very much appreciated. This edit has the original music tracks - including Dionne Warwick on the closing credits. The episode is due to expire/disappear from 10play in the next few months. I have tried to rip but it fails. Hoping someone has better luck. Vault folder December 1998. 10play link: https://10play.com.au/the-bold-and-the-beautiful-fast-tracked/episodes/season-2020/best-fashion-shows-brookes-bedroom-fashion-show/tpv200428fwupn

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by AusBoldFan