B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I hope we get to these episodes! It would be interesting to see if it's possible to detect any difference in the writing once Bradley Bell takes over.

Of course, the major storylines may have been planned months or years in advance, so some of what follows may already have been thought out by Bell Sr.

Also, I've often wondered about what kind of role John F. Smith played in the writing of the show for its first 15 years or so. It may or may not be a coincidence, but the point where I feel the show began going downhill coincides almost exactly with his no longer being credited as associate head writer (or "executive storyline consultant", whatever that is) in 2002/2003.

(I always think of the Portofino location shoot as the last big hurrah of the "old"/"classic" B&B era. From 2003 on, there was a very noticeable shift in the tone and the focus of the show as Jackie and Nick were introduced and became a major part of the show, while Sally and her clan were phased out.) 

Edited by Videnbas

• Members

Episode 137: Kristen vs. Stephanie is brilliant. Why, oh why did they stop this feud? So upsetting. Not to mention, Susan Flannery and Teri Ann Linn have amazing chemistry. Tracy Melchior did fine, but, in comparison, she lacks. I cannot help but wonder what Brenda Epperson (ex-Ashley, Y&R) could have done in the role of Kristen in Melchior's place.

• Members

Thanks @soapwikijohn

I added missing episodes 5098-5102 in 2007 from the BobSoaps YouTube channel. Hoping he'll add more missing dates.

@Liberty CityIt was so disappointing how they completely dropped the Stephanie/Kristen drama and the fact that she was the one who brought Clarke into her life. I loved the angle of Stephanie imagining an incestous relationship between Eric and Kristen, which was really just her projecting her own relationship with Ridge.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

William Bell seems to have had a fascination with long lost daughters returning with problematic relationships with their mother. Kristen, Macy and Felicia were all introduced this way. Interestingly, each of those mother-daughter relationships was a "variation of the theme" with a different dynamic.