B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

@soapwikijohnthat is simply amazing! Fingers crossed it all goes well.

Anyway, remember a few days ago we were talking about how some of the official YouTube B&B videos are actually partial? By some lucky coincidence, YouTube user MocksFan actually just uploaded #5592 and 5593 (Nick and Bridget's third wedding). (or if it's not coincidence and MocksFan is reading here, thank you!). @BoldKara had found the missing parts in French but now we have them in English.

Please register in order to view this content

I went through my 2004-2009 folders and sorted all the "official" vids by length. These are the ones that are under 19 minutes. 
(note: Most full episodes are 21-22 minutes, but some are 30 minutes because they contain blank space for commercials. I'm assuming everything 20 minutes and up is full but doesn't have spaces, but it's possible those episodes are partial and contain space for commercials, if that makes sense - I don't have the time nor desire to open each file individually to check). Another strange thing is some episodes are longer than 30 minutes but have a lot of extra space at the end: episode 5560 is 54 minutes!

Partial episodes - if any of you have them in full please upload

5042 (this is actually some weird collection of clips and not really an episode?) 4/19/2007
5071 5/31/2007
5097 7/06/2007
5391 9/04/2008 (I uploaded)
5579 6/05/2009
5580 6/08/2009
5581 6/09/2009
5585 6/15/2009
5590 6/22/2009
5591 6/23/2009 (have second half in French)
5592  (will upload Mocksfan version)
5593 (will upload Mocksfan version)
5594 6/26/2009
5595 6/29/2009 (I uploaded
5597 7/01/2009 (I uploaded)
5598  7/02/2009 (I iploaded)

Edited by BoldRestless

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

5042 has been put in the Vault.

Please register in order to view this content

Strange the official B&B YouTube channel put the edited one there which is a combination of 5041 and 5042...possibly due to the Virginia Tech shooting that happened at the time of airing?

• Members

I've checked Bob for TV Soaps on YouTube and it seems he has uploaded a lot more episodes from the 2000s since we last spoke about his treasure trove, so I've managed to find and upload the following to 2009 to complete these partial episodes that the official channel had on YouTube: 5579, 5580, 5581 and 5585. Enjoy.

It's probably worth me/us checking Bob's channel every now and then, as it seems he adds to it sporadically (lots of other soaps on there too).

Someone has posted on archive.org this Entertainment Tonight behind the scenes clip of when Sheila went to the santitarium after taking poison at her Goodbye Party. Not the greatest quality but Kimberlin is very entertaining. Enjoy.

https://archive.org/details/capture-a-3902

Edited by BoldKara

• Members

Thank you so much!!!  

it really is a shame Bell decided to not continue the Zach/Felicia pairing as they both left town by the end of the year. I really enjoyed Felicia and Kristen together too! 

haha did Bradley rewatch these episodes at some point to get the idea to name Denise Richards Shauna?? for those who didn’t watch the latest episode Brooke keeps calling Sheila that! Haha 

• Members

This recent batch of episodes from 1992 marks a real repositioning of stories and the canvas and I wondered if it was acknowledged as a revamp of sorts at the time?

The long game and absolutely delicious irony of where Brooke/Stephanie's machinations get them with their men after 5 years (i.e. out on their arses) is just genius and I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of Bill Bell plan to that aspect of the story. It truly feels like it's moving into a new chapter. Stephanie's turning on Brooke at the wedding is the punctuation point.

However amongst them, a lot else is changing. To be honest, the show from late 1991 to this point did feel like it was spinning its wheels. Clarke/Sally, Margo/Bill, Jake/Thorne/Macy/Felicia - there were great moments but it was surprisingly slow and repetitive and I think the exits of some of those players was needed. The Karen/Blake story is also just very weird and smells of a half baked idea that just didn't translate from page to screen. (As an aside, I only ever knew Macy from 1995 onwards but watching her evolution, she is such an oddball character. She also has this remarkably dated look to her that the other females don't, like she's stuck in 1989).

Anyway, I noted from ep 1290 onwards, there's all this sudden energy. Sheila adds immediate spice, Sly and Zack, Kristen's return, the stunt of Felicia running Zack down. It's a definitely, positive shift.

• Members

I think you are completely right. This is the moment the show starts getting near it's peak, which will be Belief. The next 450-500 episodes are the ultimate Bold episodes. If someone has to choose a single period to watch the show... this is it.

We are nearing the complete 1987-1993 - the day we have this completed... one of my biggest dreams will have been realized.

• Members

Everytime I rewatch any episode from the golden era of B&B (at least for me) 1987-1995 I see small details that Bill Bell planed for future stories! In the dialogs, in the looks  - Zack and Felicia, Brooke's pregnancy, Sheila starting to like Eric, Clark thinking about Kristen, the anniversery's date and counting till 2 years! (just stay tuned )....

Edited by Marquise

• Members

I think there was always this parallel between Brooke and Stephanie, right from the start. They were linked from the beginning because they were the only ones who knew of each other's manipulations. For example, BOTH of them knew about Eric/Beth and covered it up in front of Ridge, but for opposite reasons. And both of them manipulated letters in order to win or hold on to the man they wanted (Stephanie by sending an anonymous letter to the Logans about their father's whereabouts, Brooke by hiding Caroline's letter to Ridge), and got dumped when the truth about their manipulations became known. I think part of the intriguing dynamic in the beginning between Stephanie and Brooke is that in terms of visible power and status, they are worlds apart, but take away those superficial aspects, and they are very evenly matched.

In fact, going back to watch from the beginning (I am now at 1990), I have a feeling that Beth/Eric was never meant to be the real story. Beth/Eric was simply the catalyst for building a long term rivalry between Stephanie and Brooke.

Blake was an odd character. I never did understand exactly what was wrong with him with his sudden attacks of - something?

As for Macy, I actually found her among the most "human" and relatable characters on the show. But I think the key to her character is that emotionally, she is a child - she can be pretty naive at times and when bad things happen (basically 90% of the time with Macy) she can't really cope on her own but needs someone to put her back together (usually Sally). She is loving and has a good heart but her lack of "toughness" makes her very vulnerable, even to the point of being self-destructive. I do have to wonder though if the Macy who evolved was really the same character the writers had in mind at first or if they changed her in response to how Bobbie Eakes played her. It seemed in the beginning that they had initially intended to make her more assertive and "Sally-like", but instead she became basically the opposite of Sally.

I think where we are at right now, we are heading into the peak of B&B, or at least the years with the most "action". Though I must say I have loved the slow start of the 80s episodes because of the clear direction in long term storytelling and characterization.

I couldn't agree more, Marquise! It really makes it a joy to rewatch these years knowing what will happen, because you can see all these seeds being planted, sometimes years in advance! It is very satisfying knowing there's actually a purpose for everything that's being shown.