B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

BTW: Just because we don't send you enough praises anymore, be assured that we all are eternally grateful for your idea and dedication to create and make THE VAULT work. I just had to mention it again. For years we felt spoilt by some generous souls on this board sharing multiple uploads on YouTube which were then taken down, pirated etc. Now it's just a labor of love to be able to relive all those classic episodes of B&B and Y&R - thanks to your idea and efforts.

I listened very carefully to their backstory while rewatching. It was just stressed that Blake was so caring (aka. paid for Taylor's medical school) and therefore Taylor fell in love with him. The backstory of the Hamiltons was not yet created/adressed. It's probably safe to also attribute some sort of daddy complex because Jack Hamilton was not always a model citizen during Taylor's childhood and youth. Or maybe: they just clicked and shared chemistry. JMO, nothing against Peter Brown as an actor but he didn't appeal to me as romantic lead at all. Does anyone know whether his Y&R or DAYS roles were played in this direction?

• Members

I agree that Karen is the first glaring retcon this show has done (of course, today the entire Spencer family is made up of surprise adult children showing up out of thin air...) Up until that point, every character seemed so carefully planned and they were all introduced very organically. This whole "Caroline had a twin who disappeared at birth" was uncharacteristic of the writing at the time. But I guess Bill Bell really wanted JJ back on the show. 

• Members

I can't remember what country it was, perhaps Greece (?) but Caroline was so popular that the show was either called "Caroline" or nicknamed "Caroline"...this could just be an urban legend, but it's a distinct memory of mine...my memories are JJ quit as Caroline, and thankfully gave enough notice that they played out her death over sufficient time. Who knows either a lack of other work or the lure of extra dollars brought her back. I quite loved the way they retconned Faith/Karen into existence...for me, it worked really well except for the horrid wig! As for $Bill...too many mentions from Bill Snr referring to Mark Lynley/Garrison as "the son I never had" poopoos $Bill's retcon into unbelievable territory, unless $Bill was an affair baby that Bill Snr didn't discover until many, many years later, much in the same way as Liam and Wyatt were introduced. It was never properly explained, and I resent the show's writers for not providing some plausible clarity. Long-time viewers were pretty much asked to swallow it and shut up. As I've always held firm especially this past 10-15 years or so, the show writes under the assumption that the audience is revolving, the audience come and go, or to not give two hoots about the history in order to meet a story agenda.

We really do need a $Bill mother backstory...could be a chance to bring in an elder actress of calibre to give something meaty for $Bill to deal with.

• Members

I absolutely agree about Dollar Bill! It still bothers me to this day that we were just supposed to accept Bill Sr having a son, without even being given ANY explanation as to why Bill Sr was obviously unaware of the fact for his entire run on the show.

I assume Dollar Bill was the result of an affair, but even so, it would be nice to know when and how this supposed affair took place (it was always implied Bill Sr was devoted to Marion) and if Bill is supposed to be younger or older than Karen/Caroline.

And then when the retconned Spencers started piling up with Liam, Wyatt and Caroline Jr, creating a whole second generation of retconned Spencers (whose parents were also retconned Spencers), it all became a bit much. To me, the connection with the original Spencers is pretty much non-existent with the present gang. Even present day Spencer Publications doesn't really feel like Spencer Publications the publishing house, but more like a generic "business empire" like Marone Industries.

• Members

It's true! My grandpa, when he was alive as recently as a few years ago, still referred to the show as Caroline. It was a nickname - the show's title is the same but people in Greece would say "it's time to watch Caroline"! I loved hearing about that.

• Members

So does anybody know how Darla's surname was Dinkle when it was later revealed to be Einstein (the gag being that Sally was making fun of her intelligence, when all along she was referring to her surname! 

Please register in order to view this content

). Was Dinkle ever mentioned on-screen or it was one of those surnames that appeared on documentation but never made it to air?

That makes me so happy to hear that my memory wasn't one of those ones conjured up in a dream and believed to be true. 

I always felt Bill was (looked) younger than Karen, but I don't think it was ever confirmed?

Spencer does sure seem to be more about a business empire than a publishing house these days. Whatever became of 'Sky'? Dropped like a lead balloon!

• Members

Bless you for typing out that email adress because it is what finally got me approved. I was beginning to think they needed me to send in my soap stan resume or something... but now I am here at last! I too look forward to discussing with all of you. I also want to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in enriching the vault because there are so many classic moments that I have been wanting to watch for many years, so thank you for being the real MVPs!

• Members

About Dinkle… I started watching here in Finland late 1998 and she was called Einstein. But I was also viewing German episodes where the credits stated she was Dinkle so I was confused. I had no internet or did not know show history… I always wondered will the mr. Einstein show up who I believe was Darla‘s husband…

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Aww shucks, I'm so happy of the activity that the Vault is getting thanks to so many resourceful members of the community, without them the vault would be nothing!

I would like to give a special shoutout to @BoldRestless for always keeping an eye on it for me when life gets too busy. I couldn't do it without them or all of you!

• Members

So far in rewatching the classic episodes, until March 1992, I don't think Darla was ever given an on-screen last name. So far Dinkle is just the credits name (though not in the US ones...) which is kinda surprising because Maria the maid was once (!) given a family name in an episode which never made it to the credits, though.