Jump to content
Announcement: New Memberships Suspended

Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles


soapfan770

Recommended Posts

  • Members
18 hours ago, BoldKara said:

I can't remember what country it was, perhaps Greece (?) but Caroline was so popular that the show was either called "Caroline" or nicknamed "Caroline"...this could just be an urban legend, but it's a distinct memory of mine...my memories are JJ quit as Caroline, and thankfully gave enough notice that they played out her death over sufficient time. Who knows either a lack of other work or the lure of extra dollars brought her back. I quite loved the way they retconned Faith/Karen into existence...for me, it worked really well except for the horrid wig! As for $Bill...too many mentions from Bill Snr referring to Mark Lynley/Garrison as "the son I never had" poopoos $Bill's retcon into unbelievable territory, unless $Bill was an affair baby that Bill Snr didn't discover until many, many years later, much in the same way as Liam and Wyatt were introduced. It was never properly explained, and I resent the show's writers for not providing some plausible clarity. Long-time viewers were pretty much asked to swallow it and shut up. As I've always held firm especially this past 10-15 years or so, the show writes under the assumption that the audience is revolving, the audience come and go, or to not give two hoots about the history in order to meet a story agenda.

We really do need a $Bill mother backstory...could be a chance to bring in an elder actress of calibre to give something meaty for $Bill to deal with.

I absolutely agree about Dollar Bill! It still bothers me to this day that we were just supposed to accept Bill Sr having a son, without even being given ANY explanation as to why Bill Sr was obviously unaware of the fact for his entire run on the show.

I assume Dollar Bill was the result of an affair, but even so, it would be nice to know when and how this supposed affair took place (it was always implied Bill Sr was devoted to Marion) and if Bill is supposed to be younger or older than Karen/Caroline.

And then when the retconned Spencers started piling up with Liam, Wyatt and Caroline Jr, creating a whole second generation of retconned Spencers (whose parents were also retconned Spencers), it all became a bit much. To me, the connection with the original Spencers is pretty much non-existent with the present gang. Even present day Spencer Publications doesn't really feel like Spencer Publications the publishing house, but more like a generic "business empire" like Marone Industries.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Members
19 hours ago, BoldKara said:

I can't remember what country it was, perhaps Greece (?) but Caroline was so popular that the show was either called "Caroline" or nicknamed "Caroline"...this could just be an urban legend, but it's a distinct memory of mine...

It's true! My grandpa, when he was alive as recently as a few years ago, still referred to the show as Caroline. It was a nickname - the show's title is the same but people in Greece would say "it's time to watch Caroline"! I loved hearing about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, BoldKara said:

I can't remember what country it was, perhaps Greece (?) but Caroline was so popular that the show was either called "Caroline" or nicknamed "Caroline"...this could just be an urban legend, but it's a distinct memory of mine...my memories are JJ quit as Caroline, and thankfully gave enough notice that they played out her death over sufficient time. Who knows either a lack of other work or the lure of extra dollars brought her back. I quite loved the way they retconned Faith/Karen into existence...for me, it worked really well except for the horrid wig! As for $Bill...too many mentions from Bill Snr referring to Mark Lynley/Garrison as "the son I never had" poopoos $Bill's retcon into unbelievable territory, unless $Bill was an affair baby that Bill Snr didn't discover until many, many years later, much in the same way as Liam and Wyatt were introduced. It was never properly explained, and I resent the show's writers for not providing some plausible clarity. Long-time viewers were pretty much asked to swallow it and shut up. As I've always held firm especially this past 10-15 years or so, the show writes under the assumption that the audience is revolving, the audience come and go, or to not give two hoots about the history in order to meet a story agenda.

We really do need a $Bill mother backstory...could be a chance to bring in an elder actress of calibre to give something meaty for $Bill to deal 

Edited by Sasha66
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

So does anybody know how Darla's surname was Dinkle when it was later revealed to be Einstein (the gag being that Sally was making fun of her intelligence, when all along she was referring to her surname! ). Was Dinkle ever mentioned on-screen or it was one of those surnames that appeared on documentation but never made it to air?

5 hours ago, YRBB said:

It's true! My grandpa, when he was alive as recently as a few years ago, still referred to the show as Caroline. It was a nickname - the show's title is the same but people in Greece would say "it's time to watch Caroline"! I loved hearing about that.

That makes me so happy to hear that my memory wasn't one of those ones conjured up in a dream and believed to be true. 

6 hours ago, Videnbas said:

I assume Dollar Bill was the result of an affair, but even so, it would be nice to know when and how this supposed affair took place (it was always implied Bill Sr was devoted to Marion) and if Bill is supposed to be younger or older than Karen/Caroline.

And then when the retconned Spencers started piling up with Liam, Wyatt and Caroline Jr, creating a whole second generation of retconned Spencers (whose parents were also retconned Spencers), it all became a bit much. To me, the connection with the original Spencers is pretty much non-existent with the present gang. Even present day Spencer Publications doesn't really feel like Spencer Publications the publishing house, but more like a generic "business empire" like Marone Industries.

I always felt Bill was (looked) younger than Karen, but I don't think it was ever confirmed?

Spencer does sure seem to be more about a business empire than a publishing house these days. Whatever became of 'Sky'? Dropped like a lead balloon!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/10/2021 at 1:07 AM, Mel1804 said:

Hi everyone!

I'm also a new member. I've been reading the board for a long time but never joined in on the conversation. I never received the activation email either, so I sent a email to [email protected] and he activated my account. Thanks!

I've grown up watching B&B with my mom in French since before I can remember. I started watching the show in English around 1999. It actually helped improve my English. I've been watching it on & off and started back watching a few months ago around the time Quinn and Carter hooked up after a five year break. I don't remember the show ever being this bad, but judging by the comments, I'm not the only one.

I look forward to discussing with you guys!

Bless you for typing out that email adress because it is what finally got me approved. I was beginning to think they needed me to send in my soap stan resume or something... but now I am here at last! I too look forward to discussing with all of you. I also want to say a huge thank you to everyone involved in enriching the vault because there are so many classic moments that I have been wanting to watch for many years, so thank you for being the real MVPs!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
23 hours ago, YRBB said:

It's true! My grandpa, when he was alive as recently as a few years ago, still referred to the show as Caroline. It was a nickname - the show's title is the same but people in Greece would say "it's time to watch Caroline"! I loved hearing about that.

I always thought that was very cool! Yet I’m just relieved in recent times they haven’t started calling the show “Liam” instead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

About Dinkle… I started watching here in Finland late 1998 and she was called Einstein. But I was also viewing German episodes where the credits stated she was Dinkle so I was confused. I had no internet or did not know show history… I always wondered will the mr. Einstein show up who I believe was Darla‘s husband…

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/15/2021 at 6:57 AM, sheilaforever said:

BTW: Just because we don't send you enough praises anymore, be assured that we all are eternally grateful for your idea and dedication to create and make THE VAULT work. I just had to mention it again. For years we felt spoilt by some generous souls on this board sharing multiple uploads on YouTube which were then taken down, pirated etc. Now it's just a labor of love to be able to relive all those classic episodes of B&B and Y&R - thanks to your idea and efforts.

Aww shucks, I'm so happy of the activity that the Vault is getting thanks to so many resourceful members of the community, without them the vault would be nothing!

I would like to give a special shoutout to @BoldRestless for always keeping an eye on it for me when life gets too busy. I couldn't do it without them or all of you!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
8 hours ago, skebujebu said:

About Dinkle… I started watching here in Finland late 1998 and she was called Einstein. But I was also viewing German episodes where the credits stated she was Dinkle so I was confused. I had no internet or did not know show history… I always wondered will the mr. Einstein show up who I believe was Darla‘s husband…

So far in rewatching the classic episodes, until March 1992, I don't think Darla was ever given an on-screen last name. So far Dinkle is just the credits name (though not in the US ones...) which is kinda surprising because Maria the maid was once (!) given a family name in an episode which never made it to the credits, though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/17/2021 at 4:19 PM, Liberty City said:

So I'm up to 115 and I have to say Nancy Burnett and John McCook, from my point-of-view, share no chemistry. I feel like McCook and Judith Baldwin would've been ACE!

My mom told me she always described the 1st Beth as striking and warm.  That she could never buy Eric leaving her Beth for Stephanie.

Also, she and Brooke looked like mother and daughter...and it would have made Eric and Brooke's later union more a transference of affection from Beth to Brooke

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
15 minutes ago, Soaplovers said:

My mom told me she always described the 1st Beth as striking and warm.  That she could never buy Eric leaving her Beth for Stephanie.

Also, she and Brooke looked like mother and daughter...and it would have made Eric and Brooke's later union more a transference of affection from Beth to Brooke

Yes I definitely felt there was no chemistry between JMc and NB. Was really surprised they recast Judith Baldwin at the time, hair colour and all. I wonder if she quit or was replaced? If replaced, I don't know why when I felt she was doing a great job. She certainly looked more like Brooke as her mother. NB looked more like a mother to Katie in resemblance.

15 hours ago, sheilaforever said:

So far in rewatching the classic episodes, until March 1992, I don't think Darla was ever given an on-screen last name. So far Dinkle is just the credits name (though not in the US ones...) which is kinda surprising because Maria the maid was once (!) given a family name in an episode which never made it to the credits, though. 

It's an interesting point that I think the reason has been lost to time, unfortunately...Darla Dinkle sounded cutesy, and appropriate to the character, though the revelation of Einstein was hilarious and penny dropping!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

As far as i remember in an interview Joanna Johnson said that the scene when Ridge thinks of what would have been if Caroline if she  was still alive and may be they have children made here very sad (1992). She run out to Susun Flannery and confess that she was upset becouse she would never have that. That was when she came out as gay to Susan. I know there were rummors about them having and affair. May be that was the time. There are also rummors that before that Susan was in an relationship whith another woman when she adoppted her doughther Blase. So if the timing was correct noone knew Joanna was gay before that, may be she left B&B becouse she wanted to be a writter.

I also do not remember when Darla was first called Einstien

Please register in order to view this content
 

BTW thank you all for the uploads!

I can not wait to get to the charity party - one of my favourite time in 1992!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
On 9/18/2021 at 5:36 PM, BoldKara said:

Yes I definitely felt there was no chemistry between JMc and NB. Was really surprised they recast Judith Baldwin at the time, hair colour and all. I wonder if she quit or was replaced? If replaced, I don't know why when I felt she was doing a great job. She certainly looked more like Brooke as her mother. NB looked more like a mother to Katie in resemblance.

Online searches only reference to Baldwin being "replaced" by Burnett, but I would love to know why, especially since Baldwin is still in the opening through episode 115 (where I left off). Casting Burnett felt like a stylistic choice for a colder Beth (which I feel Burnett is).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
4 hours ago, Liberty City said:

Online searches only reference to Baldwin being "replaced" by Burnett, but I would love to know why, especially since Baldwin is still in the opening through episode 115 (where I left off). Casting Burnett felt like a stylistic choice for a colder Beth (which I feel Burnett is).

I once chatted with Michael Maloney https://soaphub.com/author/michaelmaloney1935/ who was part of the production staff of B^B from 1990/1991 after buying some old SODs from him via eBay LOL

Interestingly, he did not any specific reason for the Beth recast when asked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Community Activity

    1. 138

      Y&R October 2021 Discussion Thread

    2. 7,602

      Another World

    3. 5,780

      OLTL Tribute Thread

    4. 3,195

      Santa Barbara Discussion Thread

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy