Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

soapfan770

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Thanks to @BoldRestless and their hard work in auditing large files, around 900 GB has been freed up!

Uploading can continue, though I will continue to look out for a long-term solution. Thank you to all contributors for making this happen - I didn't think that over a year later that I would have to potentially get a second account to split up the soap vaults. You're all champs!

• Members
1 hour ago, ChickenNuggetz92 said:

Thanks to @BoldRestless and their hard work in auditing large files, around 900 GB has been freed up!

Uploading can continue, though I will continue to look out for a long-term solution. Thank you to all contributors for making this happen - I didn't think that over a year later that I would have to potentially get a second account to split up the soap vaults. You're all champs!

Thank you guys!

And of course a major shout-out to all uploaders!

Please register in order to view this content

• Members
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Liberty City said:

I'm on episode 10, and it's such a 180 soap. Wow. This is what this soap should be.... Bradley Bell has truly ruined this soap. The characters, the dialogue, the fashions, the sets, etc. it all works! Now? Bleh.

I know. It becomes all the more jarring when one tries to follow both the early show and the present one in parallell. Watching the current episodes becomes a chore by comparison. The early years of the show were far superior in every way. Everything was so well thought out, with attention to detail in every part of the writing and production. I don't know how the budget compares, but it seems that in the early years they spent a lot more on sets, costumes and adding supporting characters to scenes. And of course, the quality of the writing is worlds apart. 

Edited by Videnbas

• Members
6 hours ago, Videnbas said:

I know. It becomes all the more jarring when one tries to follow both the early show and the present one in parallell. Watching the current episodes becomes a chore by comparison. The early years of the show were far superior in every way. Everything was so well thought out, with attention to detail in every part of the writing and production. I don't know how the budget compares, but it seems that in the early years they spent a lot more on sets, costumes and adding supporting characters to scenes. And of course, the quality of the writing is worlds apart. 

The quality was just superior. There was a set behind Eric's office and Ridge's former office had an entrance to the show room. Those things just don't exist, and even in 480i, it just feels richer in quality. Things were not rushed or hyped for the sake of a love triangle. Things were organic.

• Members

The first weeks 60 to 70 episodes of Bold was set up.  In fact, it felt almost like 2 different shows with the Logan family drama and the Forrester family drama in separate lanes.

However, once Brooke/Ridge..and Beth/Eric reconnect...the show truly gets going.

Looking back, Bill Bell was setting up the characters, showing their lives before the two families start to interact again.  Soaps wouldn't do that build up nowadays..imho.

My mom watched when it premiered..and she said the original Beth was an attractive blonde Grace Kelly type..and she couldn't buy Eric going for Stephanie...but when the mom is recast with a more passive, sweet darker Beth...she could understand Eric ending up with Stephanie.

Though original Beth and Brooke looked like mom and daughter..and it helped explain why Eric ended up hooking up with Brooke.

• Members
9 hours ago, Soaplovers said:

The first weeks 60 to 70 episodes of Bold was set up.  In fact, it felt almost like 2 different shows with the Logan family drama and the Forrester family drama in separate lanes.

However, once Brooke/Ridge..and Beth/Eric reconnect...the show truly gets going.

Looking back, Bill Bell was setting up the characters, showing their lives before the two families start to interact again.  Soaps wouldn't do that build up nowadays..imho.

My mom watched when it premiered..and she said the original Beth was an attractive blonde Grace Kelly type..and she couldn't buy Eric going for Stephanie...but when the mom is recast with a more passive, sweet darker Beth...she could understand Eric ending up with Stephanie.

Though original Beth and Brooke looked like mom and daughter..and it helped explain why Eric ended up hooking up with Brooke.

When I go back to watch the shows in the Vault, it feels like almost the first two seasons are the first "act" of the show. Bell Sr really spends all that time setting the stage for the core conflicts on the show (Stephanie vs Brooke, Spectra vs Forrester, tension within the Forrester family including Thorne vs Ridge). 

Then Act 2 starts in late 1988 with Thorne shooting Ridge (the culmination of a conflict that had been building to that climax for a year and a half).

Around the same time, we also get the introduction of Sally Spectra (after hearing about the conflict between Spectra and Forrester for over a year). 

And just prior to the shooting, we had Eric ending his affair with Beth and going back to Stephanie. This makes me think Beth/Eric was really a red herring whose lasting impact and main purpose was setting up a lifelong conflict between Brooke and Stephanie.

• Members
9 hours ago, Videnbas said:

And just prior to the shooting, we had Eric ending his affair with Beth and going back to Stephanie. This makes me think Beth/Eric was really a red herring whose lasting impact and main purpose was setting up a lifelong conflict between Brooke and Stephanie.

I'm currently on episode 21, and I kind of feel this brewing, as well. I feel like the character of Beth Logan should've been more prominent than she clearly became. Plus, some bad miscasting, as well.

• Members
Posted (edited)

Yes, it`s Sarah Buxton

Btw, Schae Harrison also played some minor role before Darla, does anyone know which episode it was?

Edited by skebujebu

• Members
1 hour ago, skebujebu said:

Yes, it`s Sarah Buxton

Btw, Schae Harrison also played some minor role before Darla, does anyone know which episode it was?

Is it episode 21? I whizzed through it and couldn't find a friend of Donna in it anywhere...

• Members
21 hours ago, Liberty City said:

In episode 21, is that Sarah Buxton portraying the role of Donna's friend, Wendy? That's kind of cool. Shame they didn't connect Morgan and Wendy, and allow for Donna to come in and play part of that story.

According to IMDb she appeared in episodes #23 and #45. If I remember correctly, Donna was hanging around at the beach with some friends at a bonfire and the whole set was barely lit, so that it was not that easy to see much on-screen.
They tried some VERY natural stuff with the teens back then. Griffey's was so low key and plausible as a college hangout; and there was a disco called DANCE FACTORY for one episode, I think. Too bad they clearly did not have the proper budget to use this is a real set for the teens.

22 hours ago, Liberty City said:

I'm currently on episode 21, and I kind of feel this brewing, as well. I feel like the character of Beth Logan should've been more prominent than she clearly became. Plus, some bad miscasting, as well.

The recast was really bizarre. Judith Baldwin/the original Beth was much prettier, but Nancy Burnett fit in really well with the upcoming stories, so I guess it was storyline dictated recast.

• Members
25 minutes ago, sheilaforever said:

According to IMDb she appeared in episodes #23 and #45. If I remember correctly, Donna was hanging around at the beach with some friends at a bonfire and the whole set was barely lit, so that it was not that easy to see much on-screen.
They tried some VERY natural stuff with the teens back then. Griffey's was so low key and plausible as a college hangout; and there was a disco called DANCE FACTORY for one episode, I think. Too bad they clearly did not have the proper budget to use this is a real set for the teens.

Episode 23 was at the place Rocco worked. It's a shame the teen scene did not remain an integral part of the soap. But they did grow up in front of us... for the most part.

25 minutes ago, sheilaforever said:

The recast was really bizarre. Judith Baldwin/the original Beth was much prettier, but Nancy Burnett fit in really well with the upcoming stories, so I guess it was storyline dictated recast.

Judith Baldwin was fantastic as Beth Logan, but, I guess William J. Bell and his team did not see her with the likes of John McCook, I guess? Marla Adams is another questionable recast. Talent-wise she was right, but she just did not fit. Know who I would've LOVED to have seen in the role? Judith McConnell (ex-Sophia, SB; ex-Miranda, AW; ex-Valerie, ATWT et al). Now that would've been excellent casting, especially in linking back to Baldwin's casting.