B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

Agree the show has been lacking since Susan left it. She was an absolute powerhouse!

Very much looking forward to the Deveney Dixon storyline as I'm up to 544 in my re-watch. I missed that whole period of 3 months while vacationing in Italy in summer 1990 (Australia was around 8 or so months behind). That is the only part of nearly 34 years of B&B I have never watched. I could have skipped ahead and watched that missing period on the Vault but I'd already started my re-watch from episode 1, and being a completist I have to see it through in order!! 

Please register in order to view this content

Let's just hope I don't get hit by a bus before I get to Deveney!!!  I've heard it's a bit of a meh resolution, but I'm excited to see for the first time ever those three months I missed so very long ago.

On subsequent long vacations I'd get my mother to swap the VHS tapes every few weeks, and so when I came back I had a lot of catching up to do but missed nothing that way. Such a die hard!!  If only I'd kept those tapes instead of recording over them...I went to Italy again in 1994 for 3 months as well...there'd be gold on those tapes...

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Bumping this question. I'd like to organize the folders. Episodes 948 on are being posted in 1991.  However, episodes 951-954 are missing if someone can add them, please.

Here is an update the person says is for "12/26 and 12/27ish." I'm not sure if the show was preempted Monday, December 31.  https://groups.google.com/g/rec.arts.tv.soaps/c/hMELijjl46s/m/6JW5jRO04UkJ

• Members

I have also #948 as Jan 02, 1991 (and therefore first episode of 1991) - based on one of the most-repeated episodes of B&B: Eric & Brooke's Palm Springs wedding with the hot air balloon ride. #947 was an actual New Years Eve episode (in parts: Spectra gang) which we do not get that often.

La Flannery was really a victim of how poorly the daytime community treated B&B at the Emmys until 2000. She was amazing in 1989, 1991, 1996 and should have receiced Emmy nominations int he subsequent years. Only Darlene Conley was able to break this glass ceiling thanks to her one-of-a-kind-personality. Ian Buchanan had the benefit of being a former GH superstar and well-known Hollywood face which helped him to get his Emmy nominations, I guess.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

Another question. It isn't that important, but does anyone know the episode that starts Season 5? I heard it was 940, but not sure if that's accurate. I used to be able to access the videoland episode list without an account, but I can't anymore for some reason.

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

It's contentious isn't it? When does a season start for a show that plays all year long? It's anniversary? If so, then I figure 1000 ends season 4 on 22/3/1991, and 1001 starts season 5 on 25/3/1991. Sorry for the way we Aussies write dates but you know what I mean LOL. 

• Members

I know that at some point, they started the season every year in September like all other CBS shows. In the early years, they seem to have done it around the anniversary (250 episodes) but there were a lot of preemptions in 1987 that may have messed that up?

Someone told me videoland starts Season 5 at episode 940 in December... but there seems to be no reason behind that at all... it's neither an anniversary, nor a milestone episode... ?

Edited by BoldRestless

• Members

Many differences between Aussie (yes Australian!)/British and US including dates. We put u's in words like colour, odour, flavour, saviour...  General day to day slang in American can mean a naughty one in Australian (the theme song to The Nanny can bring a laughing tear to the eye).

I suspect these days it has to do with renewals, so when they announce 2 season renewals for example it's probably from a specific date which won't be the B&B anniversary date but more than likely September-ish as you say to tie in with prime time seasons etc. Strange the VL splitting on seasons. I tend to ignore it because it would do my head in.

• Members

Interesting, I thought that Americans put the u's in words.

Different dialects are spoken in Germany. 

We Swabians have a way of saying primeval times that nobody else understands.

I like Bavarian and Viennese very much.

But Swabian is also spoken differently depending on the area and when a North German speaks in full dialect, I understand almost nothing.

I would also be interested in how Australians say body weight and temperature. We Germans give our weight in kg and our height in meters. The temperature in degrees Celsius.

Oh, and on the road we're going right.

• Members

I have the same dates. Early 1991 is a black box due to Dessert Storm pre-emptions on CBS. 

Videoland has been incorrect with its defintion fo season ever sinc eseason 2 or 3... The official numbering was indeed the show's anniversary. Same with Y&R. Then in about 2011 CBS switched the renewals for its soaps to Fall in-line with primetime shows.