Old/Classic B&B discussion&articles

soapfan770

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That article is sad to read, he succumbed to only short-term storytelling and has milked the Ridge/Brooke relationship bone dry, to the point where in 2020 they're broken up AGAIN because Brooke can't stop jumping on the closest man. And I want the real story behind why they so abruptly ended Brooke and Thorne's relationship. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Paul Raven said:

Speaking of hooked, Brooke seems to have given up her obsession of Ridge. The character seems more sympathetic when she doesn't have him.

I think that Ridge and Brooke will always have some magic between them. But [Brooke's pursuit of Ridge] was a story that people were tired of watching and one that I was, in a way, tired of writing. Something had to give. The Brooke/Ridge/Taylor triangle, in terms of being a solid front-burner, three-to-four-day-a-week, carry-the-show-story went on for as long as any I could ever think of. It was the heart and soul of the show for a long time. It was limiting as a writer. I was ready to throw away the security blanket and strut my stuff in other ways. I've found the show more manageable by going in different directions and by bringing in new characters. It's much easier to write and more fun, too.

21 years later what changed Bradley!

• Members
2 hours ago, Paul Raven said:

Do you get direction from the network?

Not really. The vision for B&B is the other writers — Jack Smith and Teresa Zimmerman — and myself. Also, my father [who serves as B&B's Executive Story Consultant]. So, yes, the show is really our vision coming straight from the writing staff with no interference from CBS. I can't tell you how grateful I am to [the network] for having the discipline and the faith in us to let us tell story the way we tell it. Everyone from [CBS Entertainment President] Les Moonves and [Sr. Vice President of Daytime] Lucy Johnson have been wonderful in respecting us. They know we won't go too far in terms of bad taste, too much violence, or things that are too sexually explicit. They know that that's not our style.

LOL this appears to be a clear case of Bill Bell's vision still somewhat being THE vision for the show. Because what is quoted above is NOT Bradley at all. He LOVES and LIVES FOR the trash and sleaze. 

He clearly says he still gets story direction from his father, it seems as though this interview is more about his father's vision than his IMO. The man who wrote Deacon/Brooke and Ridge/Bridget saying going too far in terms of bad taste and sexually explicit content is not B&B?  Didn't the Forrester family listen to Deacon having sex with Bridget and her losing her virginity over the phone? 

Edited by Vizion

• Members
3 hours ago, sheilaforever said:

This interview must have been from 1999!

That’s what I was thinking! 

Poor CJ and Becky there were great but I guess the show couldn’t(or didn’t want to) juggle them with Rick and Amber at the same time so Becky died and CJ was backburned. Ugh. 

• Members
On 5/23/2020 at 9:51 PM, will81 said:

I would assume the scripts would be behind in terms of correcting pre-emptions, maybe even scheduled ones sometimes. The NCAA Tournament did pre-empt Y&R and B&B Mar 14 & 15 1991. There were 10 pre-emptions for Y&R that year and it seems there were 13 for B&B. Jan 17 I believe was the first official day of the Gulf War or something like that. So you would have at least Jan 1, 17, Mar 14, 15 in the first 4 months. Maybe there were three others in April that didn't affect Y&R

Just found a source that states that CBS indeed started in 1991 to preempt its soaps for March Madness...

https://books.google.de/books?id=n0XnwcbNmPsC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=cbs+march+madness+1990+preemption&source=bl&ots=KWrYDFV6cm&sig=ACfU3U2DvfsOJQyqJr2MPJeOl0lEMSw0vw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid86v-vNTpAhXMDewKHalOAUoQ6AEwCHoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=cbs march madness 1990 preemption&f=false

Speaking of preemptions, though: it seems there was one for B&B in early 1990 (maybe: February 18, 1990???) but I cannot find a proper cause. Anyone else have his on record?
Kind of depends on what airdate one has for the beginning of Season 4 on March 23, 1990: I have it as #751.

Edited by sheilaforever

• Members

This is like the ideal interview of what you would want them to say. I wish he would have this realization again. I really truly enjoyed early Hope/Liam/Steffy but after years and years of the same thing. Then he builds up Ally and Oliver and destroys that. Same with the Avants and Rick and Maya. They could have done years of story with Amber/Rick/Maya IMO. They don't keep any villains on the show without them being comic relief. So on and so forth. 

• Members
11 hours ago, sheilaforever said:

Just found a source that states that CBS indeed started in 1991 to preempt its soaps for March Madness...

https://books.google.de/books?id=n0XnwcbNmPsC&pg=PA105&lpg=PA105&dq=cbs+march+madness+1990+preemption&source=bl&ots=KWrYDFV6cm&sig=ACfU3U2DvfsOJQyqJr2MPJeOl0lEMSw0vw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwid86v-vNTpAhXMDewKHalOAUoQ6AEwCHoECAwQAQ#v=onepage&q=cbs march madness 1990 preemption&f=false

Speaking of preemptions, though: it seems there was one for B&B in early 1990 (maybe: February 18, 1990???) but I cannot find a proper cause. Anyone else have his on record?
Kind of depends on what airdate one has for the beginning of Season 4 on March 23, 1990: I have it as #751.

I don't know what for, but I think B&B was preempted Monday February 19, 1990...Y&R wasn't preempted,  but I think B&B and ATWT might have been. I remember checking the end of the 2/16/90 ATWT episode, and one of the concluding scenes picks up on the 2/20/90, which would be the following Tuesday.

B&B seemed to be preempted about 3-4 Times between Feb-March 1991, but knowing exact dates are tricky..I got 2/27/91 being one of them thanks to the Google Fourms.. 

• Members
1 minute ago, YRfan23 said:

I don't know what for, but I think B&B was preempted Monday February 19, 1990...Y&R wasn't preempted,  but I think B&B and ATWT might have been. I remember checking the end of the 2/16/90 ATWT episode, and one of the concluding scenes picks up on the 2/20/90, which would be the following Tuesday.

B&B seemed to be preempted about 3-4 Times between Feb-March 1991, but knowing exact dates are tricky..I got 2/27/91 being one of them thanks to the Google Fourms.. 

Monday February 19, 1990 was President's Day and CBS aired a NBA regular season game that afternoon. CBS had the broadcasting rights for NBA from 1973-1990.

CBS Sports pre-emptions for B&B AFAIK were US Open (1987-2014), NBA regular season games (President's Day 1989, President's Day 1990), March Madness (1991-2019), Winter Olympics (1992, 1994, 1998).

• Members
2 minutes ago, kalbir said:

Monday February 19, 1990 was President's Day and CBS aired a NBA regular season game that afternoon. CBS had the broadcasting rights for NBA from 1973-1990.

CBS Sports pre-emptions for B&B AFAIK were US Open (1987-2014), NBA regular season games (President's Day 1989, President's Day 1990), March Madness (1991-2019), Winter Olympics (1992, 1994, 1998).

Thanks! so I guess Y&R was the only soap that aired that day..because all the dates I have add up.

Unfortunately I found out some things regarding the whole 94 OJ stuff that has my original preemption list for Y&R/B&B kind of messed up...at least for Y&R. They supposedly either showed two new episodes on 6/28 and 6/29/94 in some areas, while others had the 6/28 episode air two days in a row...apparently the same happen for 6/29/94, and 7/11/94 too...though I guess they rebroadcast 6/29 on 7/11 for the areas that missed it....

It's so confusing..LOL