B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

That story wouldn't happen today - B&B even stopped a story with Amber and underage Thomas because of the Janet Jackson nipple backlash.

There was some speculation, more like rumor, that the hypnosis story was some type of a pitch from Hunter Tylo, as, around these years, she had spoken about cult-like behaviors which badly affected her and her family (several different instances of this), and that this may have also been a view she or someone had of psychiatry. I also wonder if, beyond anything with Hunter Tylo, that some on the show may have had a negative view of psychiatry, given their religious beliefs. Either way, the story was dropped very quickly, and I think they either realized it was too hot to handle, or that it was just unworkable.

The show really wanted people to love Amber so Stephanie was a big part of that. Today Stephanie is mostly just a gorgon until it's time for a health crisis. Lazy.

The guy with the glasses was the assistant of Pierce (the psychiatrist/hypnotist). It was implied that he was in love with Pierce and would do anything, including hypnotize Taylor without Pierce knowing. He made some sexually suggestive comments to Ridge which raised some eyebrows at the time. Paul Williams got a lot of praise for his performance.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I saw some of the Thomas and Amber scenes, I know Stephanie slapped Amber when she found out that Amber was going after him ( Surprisingly then Amber deserved that since it was the second time Amber tried to seduce someone younger than her in Stephanie's family) I actually think that paring might have worked if it wasn't for that Janet Jackson thing. I didn't realize that was an issue with the show.

I think the show a lot of the time especially back then felt like its audience truly loved Amber and Adrianne Frantz. Most people seem to really either like her or hate her, but mostly hate her. I don't mind her, but it sounds like the show had to sacrifice a lot to keep her on on the show for all those years.

I really believe that this Stephanie who is talking to Amber would show the same type of reaction to Steffy's behavior on the show now. Stephanie has done a lot of not so pleasant things herself, but when it comes to figuring out someone's bad or trampy behavior, She always was able to figure it all out. Stephanie should be constantly lecturing Steffy about how she is using her sexuality, to drive Liam from Hope, but because Bradley is too lazy to remember that Stephanie wasn't always an old troll, he has her writing her making fun of Hope's virture, and supporting Steffy's behavior. grandaughter or no grandaughter I'm sorry, Stephanie is wrong about that.

So that weird guy was gay?? I heard about that Pierce guy, he was in love with Taylor himself though right?

I guess that's why you never really see Taylor treating people on the show. Hunter Tylo's whole life is a soap of itself, so it wouldn't surprise me if she came to the show suggesting they write all of that hypnosis garbage in. I'm guessing her and Kimberlin Brown were not on speaking terms at this point. (Kimberlin was about to leave here)

• Members

The show spent a long time trying to make people love Amber, even killing off her cousin in a story which seemed to be done solely to show what a noble person Amber was. The problem was they ran out of story ideas for her, and that's been the case for a long, long time now.

Pierce was in love with Taylor, yes. Paul Williams - it was mostly implied, but still very obvious.

The Janet Jackson stuff hit the Amber/Thomas story and may have also affected the story where Eric was supposed to get involved with teenage Caitlin.

• Members

So do I. That was the epitome of a great umbrella story. I think Brad Bell was invigorated by the feeling that this was a new chapter on B&B: Brooke moving on with Thorne, the Next Forrester Generation getting established, Amber as the wannabe-Brooke interloper.

Really? I thought that was the best bit! Especially when Hunter Tylo started "dancing."

Thought I would post some clips from the Taylor/Princess Leila days. Back when Hunter Tylo was truly stunning. I loved that SL. I loved Prince Omar and sort of wished Taylor would get with him as he seemed a lot more honourable than the trifling Ridge who was already shtupping Brooke about three hours after Taylor's funeral. I liked Omar's loyal sidekick, Mustafa. Best of all is the promo featuring Ian Buchanan as James Warwick (see bottom). Raaaaaaaowl. You, sir, are the hotness (big plus: Clarence doing the voiceover).

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.c...bed/_p1QAsb0evM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I give up with this embedding [!@#$%^&*].

Edited by Cat

• Members

Brad Bell takes a lot of his work very seriously - the only time they have jokes is when it's obvious joke characters like Pam. I never knew what they were doing with that story. It did have some fun moments at first but I got the feeling it was supposed to become more serious. Fortunately it was dropped.

• Members

OK, so sue me but I loved Crazy Brooke in Barbados! It was part of a huge umbrella SL which started with Ridge finding a letter saying that the DNA test proving that Bridget was his daughter was actually false.

Thank you for posting the first two episodes ever. I loveloveLOVED early B&B. I actually remember watching the preparations for the fashion show when it first aired. KKL was stunning back then. And woah @ Ridge's suit.

• Members

The location was pretty, and KKL did a good job. I'm too hard on it.

But that never seemed like an umbrella story to me, more like a reason to break up Brooke/Ridge again. The whole thing was a rewrite, and they never even finished the story (not letting viewers know whether Brooke or Sheila had done that). The only story which I remember coming from it was Sheila poisoning Stephanie.

That was the real start of the awful musical pairings - poor Grant was thrown at a half-dozen women, then stuck with Brooke in a story which was never going to develop. This led to Rick shooting him due to "violent video games," in a story so pathetic, it was immediately dropped.