B&B: Old/Classic Discussion & Articles

• Members

I thought the Sally and Macy scenes were very beautifully done - it was obvious that Bill Bell had a lot of respect for Darlene Conley. As much as I enjoyed the Sally campery, this more classic, women's picture-esque Sally had so much heart and Conley always played it with such pathos. I sometimes forget how well Bobbie and Darlene worked together. 

Lauren Koslow is also making the most out of B-material, as she often did. I can't remember how much longer Margo was around after this. 

The whole Kristen and Jeff Conaway thing is odd. 

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

DRW50, thank you for posting the 1990 episodes. The first five years are such a rare treat.

By 1990 Bill Bell had figured out which characters were working and which weren't. The Spectra gang became more prominent, while the Logans were phased out by early 1991.

Kristen and Mick were gone not long after these episodes, I think in March sometime. I remember Teri Ann Linn returning for a few episodes in 1992, 1993, 1994 and that was it.

Do you think Kristen could have been a viable character in the 1990s had a stronger actress played her? There was a SOD headline in 1996 that B&B was attempting to recast Kristen with Melissa Reeves but as we all know, nothing came of it. 

• Members

The bottom line is these finds are amazing, thank you @DRW50 for posting them.

Darlene Conley was luminous as Sally. She held your gaze. Those scenes with Macy were excellent. Bill Bell's biography states that when he hired her he said that bringing Darlene to the show would make it great. He was right. She elevated the show. He wrote so many facets to Sally: hustler, mother, lover, hater, gambler, winner, loser...Sally was a 1940s movie throwback, a tart with a heart, and Darlene was the only actress who could have played her. 

Lauren Koslow is so good as Margo - trapped in that marriage to Bill, full of darkness. Margo was always written as a character with a sense of foreboding who could only be saved by her beloved Eric, who she was ever so loyal to. And talk about beautiful - she has aged incredibly on DAYS. She had excellent chemistry with Jim Storm and Dan McVicar (and of course John McCook)...you can see the seedlings of her interpretation of DAYS' Kate with a few lines of dialog when Margo gets exasperated with Clarke. If/when the time comes for DAYS, it's time for Margo to return to B&B.  

B&B used to have solid A, B and C storylines and my god it made a difference. It is interesting to see the juxtaposition of settings: Beverly Hills for the Forresters, Century City for the Spencers, and downtown LA for the Spectras. Those physical distinctions mean something if you've been to LA - they highlight a difference. All of that subtlety is gone. 

• Members

Bill Bell used elements of the Katherine/Phillip/Jill and Liz/Stuart/Jill storylines for the Eric and Brooke storyline. 

From what I remember, Eric and Brooke decide to start their relationship during their dinner (that's what's being set up in the episode above) and the actual affair begins at Big Bear sometime in March, resulting in Brooke becoming pregnant with Rick.

I wonder if Bill Bell's original intention was for Eric and Brooke to be involved, or was the story changed to accommodate KKL's pregnancy.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...