American Idol

Toups

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To clear some things up, I did say that Carrie was big in country music. It's just that people seemed to be shortchanging Fantasia's fame and popularity. Since we're playing the statistics game....

3 Billboard Music Awards

1 NAACP Image Award

Over 2 million albums sold

"I Believe" - (#1-Hot 100)

"Truth Is" - (#21-Hot 100) (#2-R&B) (#1-Adult R&B Airplay)

"Baby Mama" - (#60-Hot 100) (#16-R&B)

"Free Yourself" - (#41-Hot 100) (#3-R&B) (#1-Adult R&B Airplay)

I admit, it's not as impressive as Carrie's track record so far, but I still say that she did very good for herself. The only difference is that Carrie won in 2005 and Fantasia won in 2004, therefore Carrie's more current. Fantasia's second album comes out this fall and even dabbles into Carrie's territory of country a bit.

And plus, Fantasia's already getting an autobiographical TVmovie made about her.

• Members

Has anyone found the Clay Aiken and his wannabe performance on the internet....youtube maybe? It was so hilarious and my friend was overseas and couldn't watch the finale but really wants to see it. Anyone have a link to it???

EDIT: Nevermind - I just found it on YouTube. Man I love that website.

• Members

:rolleyes: She sure in the hell does NOT.

:rolleyes: Again, she sure in the hell DOES NOT. I saw that interview, and she did NOT at all. Taylor and she both came off nice, although at times TAYLOR on the show has come off drunk and stupid and a little arrogant.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chris B @ May 28 2006, 10:33 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Katherine wasn't !@#$%^&*]y at all, she simply answered most of the questions. The same exact thing happened when Ruben won and no one's calling Clay a !@#$%^&*]. The one I've heard has been rubbing people the wrong way in interviews is Chris. I haven;t actually seen them, but I did read that he had to release a statement making sense of some of his comments.

I probably wasn't clear, but yeah she wasn't a dog, but not the beauty queen she blossomed into. She was a very plain girl for California and probably wasn't one of the popular kids at her school. When she started on Idol, she sang torch songs and seemed like a bit of an old soul. This is why I think the judges were raving about her in the early weeks as it was the only thing to put her on the map. Once she made the top 12 and they go stylists, she became a vampy sex pot and I think this is what has rubbed some people the wrong way.

Still, her personality comes off more nervous and shy than !@#$%^&*]y.

I agree except that I think Katharine has always been pretty. IDOL just made her even more beautiful.

• Members

R&B is a VERY easy genre to crossover with, it's just that Fantasia isn't the type of artist that does. She doesn't have a strong enough album, IMO. It's full of middle of the road R&B that you can hear anywhere. Same for Ruben. If you have a Beyonce or a Brandy winning, they would no doubt have crossover success.

BTW, of course it wasn't close with Katherine, it wasn't close with ANYONE. Taylor was #1 every week I looked at Dial Idol and was going to win, no matter what. Whether Chris or Mandisa were there, he'd still win. But Katherine did good for herslef with #1. I predict more success for her so it doesn't matter much. Just more positive press for her, beating the odds...and Taylor.

• Members

Country is the nation's most popular music format, with the largest number of radio stations and fans all over. But to many music consumers, country remains a quaint taste and never gets the respect it deserves.

Take for example the RadioAndRecords charts from this week

POP Top 5

1 Shakira f/Wyclef Jean - Hips Don't Lie 9,843 plays

2 Sean Paul - Temperature 7,682 plays

3 Daniel Powter - Bad Day 7,556 plays

4 Fort Minor f/Holly Brook & Jonah Matranga - Where'd You Go 7,266 plays

5 Rihanna - SOS 7,079 plays

Now take a look at Country

Country Top 5

1. Dierks Bentley - Settle For A Slowdown 12,941 plays

2. LeAnn Rimes - Something's Gotta Give 12,112 plays

3. Kenny Chesney - Summertime 11,895 plays

4. Phil Vassar - Last Day Of My Life 11,826 plays

5. Jason Aldean - Why 11,604 plays

Country music has an average of 4,000 more plays that Pop music.

Carrie's "Don't Forget to Remember Me" (#9) had 9,334 plays this week which was ahead of every Pop song in the Top 50 except "Hips don't lie" ;) and on the Adult Top 40 "Some Hearts" is #13, and "Jesus, Take the Wheel" is #27

• Members

Katharine definitely is not all that. She should never have been in the top 2. It should have been Taylor, Chris, Paris, Elliott with Taylor winning. He was ahead and never in the bottom 3. That should have given a good indicator that Taylor was going to win. Kat's voice is just nothing special. She got as far as she did based on her looks. If she wasn't Kat Mcboobies, there is no way that she would have gotten that far.

I did like a few of her performances on the show, but her whole personality rubs me the wrong way. I have seen both Taylor and Kat on media appearances. I have seen Taylor on more appearances, but I have seen Kat on a few. Taylor just comes off better and more natural. Kat comes off as a stuck up, entitled snot. She has tried her best to make herself look better, even talking over and interrupting Taylor a number of times on that Larry King Live interview. And that Steven Spielberg rumor is probably highly exaggerated. She was asked about it and she said she never even talked to him or his people. She did a radio interview where she made fun of Elliott, Kellie, and Taylor and mocked a southern accent.

I think both will do good. I hope Taylor does better though. Taylor's song is also getting some play on the radio, including pop and country radio. Katharine should go the broadway and acting route.

Archived