Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have not watched more than ten minutes of Season One of Scandal so the return did nothing for me. The dude from Lost is super cute though. Nice man candy.

B-QXD4GCQAAD-lH.jpg

I'm not going to hate on Scandal tonight because they did give me a lot of female power tonight.

Quinn got Huck under control with some tenderness.

B-QTWC5IQAAzCYd.jpg

Abby saved Olivia. I'm glad it wasn't a man. It was never really close to being a man at any point in the story. Loved Abby not hating on Cyrus for doing the only logical thing he could do in the situation.

B-QWUSyCMAA9Vcd.jpg

Mellie and Elizabeth neutralizing Andrew - with an assist from Huck - was fantastic. That said, the job needs to be finished - somebody needs to stress the phuck out of him while he's still on the bad side of Mr. Stroke. Elizabeth is always so jumpy these days, quite the change from Season 4A. She even seemed nervous when Mellie gave her the "props for the massive stroke move, we even now" nod. Mellie poking Andrew to make sure he was genuinely stiff, so cold ... love *drools*

B-QW2rhCcAEPEML.png

So Olivia BLASTING Fitz...

1. That was orgasmic.

2. While I've enjoyed the dynamic of Mellie and Fitz getting along, as a Mellie fan first the Olivia/Fitz scene made me jealous. I miss Mellie reading the chit out of Fitz at least once an episode. Sniffle.

3. Olivia made it more clear then ever that she rides for the US of A and that's why she been meh with Fitz weak, obsessed azz every time he tries to leave the wife or the Presidency for her.

Scandal-League-of-Goons.jpeg

Pfft to Fitz trying to act like abandoning his love and commitment for any of those things was some sacrifice when he's always acted like those were heavy and somewhat worthless burdens to him.

4. So Olivia pointed out that Fitz's obsession with her is SICK and OVER THE TOP and that at this point IT makes her sick. Great. The real problem with Olitz/Fitz though is Fitz has never, does not and will never care about this accurate assessment of his "love" for her.

5. Olivia throwing that ring at him hard like he was the biggest douche-bag loser ... orgasmic.

6. Cyrus calling Fitz out on being a dumb-azz in his little fantasy was great too.

v Yep, you didn't Fitz. Go back to your office and go play with your barbie Fitz and barbie Olivia while the grown ups handle things v

B-QX1A_CAAAG6dp.jpg

• Members

When will Fitz realize that while he always prioritizes Olivia she will never do the same. The scenery chewing in the end by Olivia was so manufactured to give Olitz yet another obstacle. She came off as an entitled bitch throwing a temper tantrum. When she was first captured she said the president will do anything to save her and when he does exactly that she's angry because he went to war. Good grief! I wish she would have stayed wherever the hell she was. And how incredibly predictable that Steven is the return character.

• Members

I caught a little of Kerry Washington's Emmy reel, and she's still a joke of a lead. However, Liv had a point. This dude went to war over her kidnapping. That is the absolute worst abuse of power and its sick. Of course, he'll be shoving it up her ass in a utility closet in no time.

I don't watch this show, and THANK GAWD!

• Members

Sadly, I agree with all of you about Olivia/Fitz. If this was the first of such scenes between them.. then I would be hopeful that this twisted love thing between them is over. If so, that would make this whole B613 and hostage storyline actually matter long term.

With that said,last nights episode finally convinced me that season 4 is truly the season of Abby. She's the one that actually saved Olivia (little does she know that Olivia's motivation for fighting was due to Abby) and the bonus was seeing a return of Stephen.

It's funny to see that Quinn is a puppy to Huck, Huck is a puppy to Olivia.. and I think Olivia is a puppy to Stephen. Stephen was kind of Olivia's moral compass in season 1, I think. In a way, Abby views herself as a puppy to Olivia.. while Olivia views herself as a puppy to Abby in a way (it seems like she'll listen to Abby and Stephen.. but not to Quinn/Stephen).

Lastly, I like that Mellie took care of the problem with The Vice President. Sometimes you have to delegate responsiblity to do it.. as we saw with Elizabeth and Huck

• Members

Olivia does prioritize Fitz but only as the President not as the man she loves. Prioritizing somebody doesn't make you a good partner, lover though, sometimes it just makes you a really OTT obsessed freak. Fitz is willing to send thousands of soldiers to their death and risk the safety of the United States for Olivia. Basically all human life is irrelevant to Fitz - country, wife, children - except for Olivia. The body count has to weigh on Olivia too as he's tossing their relevance in her name. I don't know that I think that this is something a woman should embrace as the greatest love of all.

"You didn't save me" "I have no one" was immature, and I do think her reaction to what he did should have been more one of conflict than straight out rage.

My real problem with this is the same as Soaplovers, this will be tossed as PTSD and she'll be wetting her panties over him in an episode or two. He, as always, will just wallow in the shallow of his obsession for her. We never really see him conflicted about how much he abuses and sacrifices (others) for her. They can throw in that bitter-sweet "Jerry"/"soldiers" line but his actions in general don't show that moments like that are anything but just a line.

This would be a perfect opening to do the long and REAL break up I've wanted to allow time for self-exploration and growth but, yeah, Shonda ain't going to that. I don't fault SR for keeping F/O apart, it's imperative to the series because in character Fitz would leave everything for Olivia and he'd want to settle down in Vermont and cue end of series. I do fault her for making the "big romance" of the show some shallow chit with shallow writing. That's hard to root for.

• Members

Exactly! And this is why I wish she would shut the f.uck up because I can't take her seriously and I wish Fitz had told her exactly that instead of looking like a wounded puppy. Everyone was jumping through hoops trying to bring this bitch home and she has the nerve to start yelling and screaming like a banshee that she's on her own. Bitch, please. Fitz was absolutely right in telling her that every time there is an opportunity for them to be together she would back out and then she want into her drivel about all the sacrifices she made to make and keep him president. Guess what? No one asked her to do it. It's not her job so when Mama Pope calls her The Help she better damn well own it because every time she does with her quivering lips and endless speeches she acts like she's doing it for him when she's really doing it for herself. For all the claims of her wanting Vermont she makes it impossible to have. She purposely makes it out of reach for her to achieve and then whines she can't have it. I've always said Fitz deserves better (Jake too) because any man would go insane over her fickle ass.

• Members

Def. I'm thinking Huck asked Liz what she'd like done - that didn't involve blood - and she nervously repeated Mellie's pointed "job" description of "make him stop talking." This was beautiful comeuppance for him.

tumblr_nk3205e9aF1qk8rxto2_250.giftumblr_nk3205e9aF1qk8rxto6_250.giftumblr_nk3205e9aF1qk8rxto3_250.gif

While I didn't have a strong attachment to his character at any point, I still really dislike that Shonda made Andrew such a piece of crap. How in the phuck did he go from 3B Andrew to Season 4 Andrew? Dude, was "I've been dreaming of being near you again every day for the past 12 years" love sick, and then he's suddenly Olivia's jaded and bitter description of men always picking power over love to the extreme. Shonda can be quite shallow and sometimes just insane with her stories but at least the stories in most cases are usually written somewhat true to character.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The stars that were brightest in this episode were definitely the guest stars from Cornelius to Artemis and especially Courtney Vance <-- couldn't take my eyes off of him even when he was in the background. Palpable performance. The police officer getting arrested for his criminal activities was a nice fantasy.

The ultimate problem I have with an episode like the March 5 episode is this show is centered around unearned privilege (this is partially due to the series being base and basic in not allowing most of the characters to be effective at their jobs besides the literal fixer and her gang) and a bunch of superfluous crap (POTUS pouts, Fixer quivers) most of the time. It was what it is last week. It will be what it is next week. I really did love that Fitz did something for Mellie, but the juxtapose of the all too often ineffective two-term POTUS and FLOTUS manipulating the system and taking down or manipulating or even underestimating another put upon group in society - women - was so iffy to do within the feel and message of most of the episode.

If they want us to buy into the notion of Mellie as a serious politician they need to give her a platform at some point (re: Hillary and Healthcare despite the fail) or do some back-story of chit she did in California as first lady. They haven't really written POTUS Fitz as a serious politician in four years of this show, so that may be asking for a miracle. I'd attempt to spin Mellie off into her own series sometime next season. Do the divorce and have her become a political figure - possibly a mayor - in some city.

Glad they showed Jake being rational about the insanity of Olivia doing what she's doing within the realm of what she's just been through. He's a good wife, part-time side piece. Good on Olivia for going a whole episode without being a thot.

• Members

I enjoyed this episode a lot. I'm glad they touched on how Olivia really has assimilated into a "white" world where she doesn't really have to deal with race. I loved when she joined the protestors. Courtney B. Vance made me cry twice. First when he said how he put the University of Maryland sticker on his car so his son wouldn't be seen as a thug when pulled over and second when he started crying in Fitz's arms. Ugh. :(

• Members

I left out a guest star in my list. Michael Welch, the Darren Wilson "look alike". I bought it when the character was lying through his badge and I bought it when he was being an absolute self righteous -unt.

CBV was in a class of his own though, "My sons name ... was ..." All hearts broken. "Him" calmly sitting over his son to protect him. The tension when the knife was found and he almost lost control. Spectacular actor.

Archived