Scandal: Discussion Thread

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the only way to have surprised the audience was if Olivia actually rescued herself at the end of the episode. I would have preferred that, but then we can't have that because if she had done so.. then she would have snapped out of her co dependent need of hers to be caught between two men.

I would have had the next episode deal with everyone wondering where she is, prepare to rescue her, etc.. and end the next episode with Olivia coming back to OPA to confer with Huck due to both being in situations that mirror each other.

• Members

Me too. After seeing them salivating over playing Jake, it was a give away that they were just mind-phucking Olivia with her surroundings.

It was a good episode. Minimal thot behavior by the lead is a plus. Unlike the mid-season finale, this episode made me excited to see the episode that follows. I saw Andrew and Elizabeth as weak in terms of being actual meanies that could hire people to kill and torture, and this episode turned that around. It'll be interesting to see how or if they connect all the dots from the clusterphuck first half of the season in the next episode.

I don't get why Olivia dropped and left the gun behind after murdering one of her kidnappers. Gurl thought she was somewhere in the Middle East with people being shot, and she leaves the gun behind?

Last but not least, props to Tom Verica. He's a fabulous director.

• Members

Yeah it was odd that there was only one other prisoner with her and that he was disposed of rather quickly -- those things weakened the pretense of them being a mass terrorist or hostage group. The episode did a good job show casing Olivia, which I think they needed to build up after they've watered down the character with the love triangles, daddy's little girl and mommy's jailer scenes they've showcased for her which don't make her appear very strong in the midst of all of this conflict.

This was obviously Kerry's Emmy bait tape but it also benefits as being the stand out episode of the season by far. It's good to know that Scandal can pull out a game changer like this and elevate itself to something that we would see on Cable, even if it's a pacing detriment to the rest of the series. I don't know if I am all that interested in really watching to see more of Scandal after seeing this though if the aim was to hook I think it failed. It was more of a shock to me then a hook. The hiatus made me lose a lot of interest in what's going on currently, and reintroducing themselves with a stand alone episode didn't help ease me in to watching again out of habit. I would say that was their biggest misstep with this episode.

• Members

Kidnapping within a kidnapping twist? Just when I thought the season could pull itself together. Why didn't they just draw out the Andrew story instead of finding different drug-taking sharks to jump?

SR had Olivia convince her sub-kidnapper to sell her into prostitution. This potentially could make her and the President's situation 1,000 times worst - 1,000 little and big Andrew's. The chatter could make her more easy to locate. But wait..

SR had Mellie screw Andrew unconscious to rescue Olivia. It worked really well. But wait...

SR had Mellie's plan pretty much work but Olivia's plan screwed over Olivia - as she would have been rescued had she not convinced her sub-kidnapper to sell her into prostitution - and in turn made Mellie's screw worthless. What is the moral of this story? Don't whore yourselves out ladies. You'll only screw yourselves.

If the two plans had not existed at the same time and clashed catastrophically (read: null each other out), it would have been different, but...

As a side note, we have Huck torturing women and threatening small female children.

I find it all really misogynistic to be honest.

Well, at least Fitz stay being the most worthless of them all. He was on a 10, instead of a 9, with his Olivia pouting. I understand it with her being kidnapped, but he's on a 9 when she's around.

Mellie and Fitz (not so) underlying co-dependency? Odd, but fascinating.

• Members

I finally saw the episode and all I have to say is what the hell is Fitz even doing? How can he not have a handle on like anything that is going on in his place of work and his own home? It's bad enough that he let this threat go on right under his nose without any prior inclination that this could happen, but when pretty much your entire protective service detail defects and everyone in the White House has turned against you... I mean what are you even doing? How do you not have provisions for this? How can you not in some way see this coming? Does anyone like him enough to not betray or coerce him? Do any of these people not care about coercing the President and commiting terrorist level crimes? I guess this is what happens when you write things like B6-13, where the President means nothing to people, and is a puppet but still this is ridiculous. Is this serious? Is Fitz really this incompetent and unpopular as a President that Andrew can usurp and enlist his entire team to turn against him? Is he that bad of a President? How could Andrew have this much influence and power and Fitz not know? How can Cyrus and team not notice this? How can #teamFitz not have a handle on anything? Is Olivia the only one who can suss out how [!@#$%^&*] works in there? What is this? I don't even.

• Members

Scandal has become one stinking pile of horse manure and I'm actually being generous. I don't know what the hell this show is about anymore and and it's gotten so far from the original premise they need to stick a fork in it. I thought B13 ate the show but this... this is some grade A fuckery. Prostitution? Modern day slavery? If Shonda could have gotten away with Olivia being gang raped she would have. All the characters are now seriously disturbing and only in Shondaland is Olivia worth all this effort. This chick has gotten off her meds and decided to have her characters morph into a twilight horror show of Hannibal, The Patriot, The Good Wife, and Absolute Power. I cannot even enjoy Mellie's bid for power and there aren't enough words to describe how seriouly reprehensible Huck has become. Torture, masochism, and depravation is not my cup of tea.

• Members

Olivia got herself sold into prostitution - she chose to fix her problem by apparently exposing to every terrorist in the world that the POTUS would do anything for her - when she could have been back home cleaning that wine stain off her couch. Competency? Eh.

Fitz has been played like a love sick fool who treats his position as President as an extremely secondary matter all along.

I can't wrap my head around Mellie not wanting Olivia dead and Fitz in agony for the whole Jerry thing. She should have at least considered it.

I don't get what "letting the VP walk" means. He doesn't want to leave his position, so will Fitz and Andrew just blackmail each other for the rest of the second term? Just have Huck kill Andrew (or Fitz) already.

I don't get why we didn't see Fitz taking steps to immediately get out of the war. While not in full control, he had a lot of leverage back. It makes no sense to me that we didn't see him making a priority of getting out of the war immediately.

I was over the kidnapping last week when they gathered 12 sharks to jump, so whatever...

You telling me Andrew was so knocked out after getting a little sum-sum that his phone was stolen, a mission was completed to find Olivia, and the phones were returned with him being none the wiser?

Huck is killing and torturing people likes its his favorite hobby. It feels like he's a very bad pit-bull. Olivia is both his bad and his good owner. In a way, she taught him how to be what he is but she never wanted him to be anything like this. While he's killing and hurting "bad" people, his desire to torture people on the regular is more sick than it is intriguing.

Fitz gave the go ahead to send dozens, if not hundreds, of innocent people to their graves for the sake of his obsession with one woman. Then there is Mellie. Mellie gave Fitz what he needed to be able to make that decision. I felt for them in the final scene but was also disgusted with them simultaneously.

I wonder, did Mellie and Fitz have drunken sex? That bed looked a hot damn mess and Fitz was knocked out a la Andrew. Fitz and Mellie continue to have a f--kin interesting relationship - read: complex - but I don't know know if I like how open and accepting they're BOTH being about the Olivia thing. It's weird. At least on 2/5, you could see the disgust on Mellie's face as she gave Fitz the pass to do what he needed to do for the woman he loves, but this week we didn't even get much disgust.

So during this kidnapping, none of Olivia's brilliant plans really worked, she killed a man and was generally mind-f--ked. Now not only does Olitz have the dead Presidents son between them but they have dozens - maybe even hundreds - of dead bodies between them. Knowing Shonda, as with Jerry, this will not do a chit to diminish Fitz's obsession with Olivia and that's why O/F relationship will continue to be shallow and made out of suckage.

• Members

It is ironic that Mellie's plan worked the best, but Olivia and Fitz were too stupid to realize it.

I do think two of the bright spots were the following:

Abby's desperation to find Olivia, then feeling hurt that no one told her that she was kidnapped. Then her explaining why it hurt her. Olivia rescued her from an abusive marriage, and was so supportive when said ex husband briefly came back into the picture (which I'd rather the show had made that plotline more then just one episode... season 1 to 2 Scandal would have had that be the main story.. not this CIA/Alias wannabe crap).

Mellie finally admitting that she wants to be president. All along we've suspected this, so it was nice to get confirmation of it tonight. In a perfect world, Mellie would have been president with Fitz as first husband. It's telling that Fitz is incapable of being president.. if he were capable, then the election wouldn't have been fixed.. and neither Olivia nor Mellie would keep bailing his ass out.

I often think that Olivia really doesn't love Fitz.. she just loves the forbidden fruit aspect. There was a scene in season 3 when Fitz wanted to give up being reelected and be with Liv. The moment she finds this out, she convinces him to keep being president. I think Olivia doesn't want the life in Vermont, she wants the power and to be where the action is. She is her father and mothers daughter, for sure.

• Members

I am not loving this kidnapping at all. There are some interesting aspects, but for some reason I thought this would be just a short plot point to move other stories along or something. I agree B613 has eaten the show. BTW, did anyone else think that probably Papa Pope was the highest bidder?

• Members

I'm intrigued to see how Fitz will treat Mellie once Olivia is back. Since Jerry's death, we see he treats her with some level of kindness and respect and we also see that he "turns to her" in some ways when Olivia is not around but when Olivia is around he treats her the opposite. Will he find a middle ground? Will the writers find a middle ground? Or is it going to go pretty much right back to this...

Color-purple.gif

^^^ Truth too. This is one of many reason(s) Olivia and Fitz cannot be successful in the form that they've been running on so far (re: his treatment of Mellie).

I don't really question Olivia's love for him. I don't think she's obsessed with him. He's obsessed with her. I question his love for her more than I question hers for him and that's because of the level of blind obsession on his part.

That aside, I do feel your point. I don't believe Olivia would be happy as a homemaker in Vermont saddled with 4 kids anymore than Mellie would be happy in that position. Olivia likes throwing out her name, and her degree of power (through her father, through her lover, through her associates) too much.

Personally, I'd kill Fitz off (heart attack or something) early in the last season of this series - season 6 or 7 - and see how that pushes both the Olivia and Mellie stories forward.

Archived