Revenge: Discussion Thread

• Replies 605
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Upon watching the pilot episode a second time, I thought it was flawed in the fact that too many situations happened just by chance (as opposed to a master plan by Emily Thorne). For instance, when Emily was first introduced to Victoria Grayson, Lydia Davis (Victoria's former best friend who had an affair with Conrad Grayson) just happened to be nearby; with Victoria in earshot, Emily asked Lydia how her "husband" was doing after being taken away by an ambulance from the South Fork Inn (where the affair took place), thus tipping Victoria off as to who her husband's mistress was.

Despite all these criticisms however, Revenge is the first prime time show in many years that has had me so excited.

Edited by Max

• Members

I know that Emily's statement (and all of her other actions) was made on purpose. The part that I found to have been too coincidental was that Lydia just happened to be right next to Victoria the moment that Emily was introduced to Victoria. There's no possible way Emily could have pre-planned that.

I apologize for failing to make the above point clear in the first place.

Edited by Max

• Members

'Revenge' creator Mike Kelley: 'You will have all of the answers by the 13th episode'

revenge_320.jpg

Image Credit: Jim Bridges/ABC

The new fall TV season has officially begun, and one of the breakout shows (and one of the favorites around the EW offices) is ABC’s new nighttime soap Revenge. Starring Brothers & Sisters‘ Emily VanCamp as the vengeful Emily Thorne, who seeks retribution for her framed father, Revenge premiered on Wednesday to a surprisingly healthy 10.1 million viewers. So how will this soap play out? “I will tell you will have all of the answers to all of the questions that the pilot poses by the 13th episode,” says creator/executive producer Mike Kelley (Swingtown). “Then we will have an whole new installment of revenge that has to do with the trial of the murderer [of Daniel Grayson] that will take us through the back-half of the first season.”

The biggest question is what would season 2 entail? Another revenge saga? Basically, yes, according to Kelley, who cites Dexter as somewhat of a storytelling model. “In our show, there’s a whole conspiracy and seasons worth of people that will reap what they’ve sewn,” says the producer. “Revenge is a universal concept and it’s gonna permeate the show on every level. I plan to do installments of revenge. So I’ll set two installments a season which will be self-contained. They’ll focus on a group of people that need to come down and we’ll introduce new people. We’ll also give other characters on the show a reason to want their own revenge.”

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

I'm impressed that thy got Phillip Noyce to direct the second episode as well--I thought he would just stick around for the pilot (OK maybe he's not a major, major movie director, but he's fairly big). I enjoyed the second episode as well. (I also didn't realize when I watched the pilot, why Conrad Grayson looked so familiar--of course it's Canadian theatre/film actor Henry Czerny who was terrifyingly intense as the pedophile priest in Boys of St Vincent as well as in one of my fave movies, The Ice Storm--great cast). My one major complaint, and it's a petty one, is Connor Paolo is an actor who DRIVES ME CRAZY--he can just look at the camera and I get annoyed... Although I did feel a bit bad when he got beat up. :P

I also had no idea that it actually is officially based on Dumas' Count of Monte Cristo--here I just assumed it was an uncrtedited influence.