Smash: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm going to keep watching because the show is original and feeds my Broadway addiction but I definitely consider it a primetime soap and not a cool one like Revenge. For me it's just a guilty pleasure. A badly written one. It's basically Monday night All My Children. LOL!

It was funny seeing Thorsten because without the spectre of Zach Slater hanging over him I suddenly thought he was hot. Nothing like playing an !@#$%^&*] to drain the sexy from a character. Which brings me to.... Michael and Julia. I love Will Chase but watching Michael basically stalk Julia while he treats his wife and child like he's just waiting to murder them and dump them in the Hudson River was disgusting. I felt like I was watching the leadup to an episode of L&O: Criminal Intent.

• Members

marceline, ITA with your first paragraph, I had a "moment" watching last night. I'm an awful TV viewer these days, I never give anything a shot and usually watch reruns on Antenna TV, but sometimes I do randomly fall into a pattern of catching a new show week after week. Last night I was on my computer, as per usual, and noticed that I kept looking up at the screen and I actually asked myself what is it about this show?? I came to the very quick conclusion that it asks absolutely NOTHING of me so I don't resist giving in, it's soapy and incredibly easy to follow. It is fluff, and whereas Glee is satirical, Smash is straight up camp at times. I'm not a musical theatre actor or fan really, but I do enjoy the stuff where they're rehearsing as I am familiar with that dynamic and the snarky [!@#$%^&*] that goes on. I also enjoy the New York aspect. Houston and Messing have definitely been better, but I don't really care. It's kind of like the "once upon a time" careers of Falcon Crest and The Colbys cast members. :lol: I'll eventually go back and catch the first few episodes.

• Members

That's actually why I keep tuning in (besides to hear all the inacuracie people on Broadway World gripe about--come on, if cops or lawyers or doctors complained about the way they were shown on tv as being false, and some do, it would be far worse). I shake my head at so much of it but I find it appealing I think partly just because there's nothing else on network tv like it. That seems liek a weird reason to watch a show, but it's an easy watch and in that way seems refreshing.

And yes Will Chase who I usually love is UBER creepy and unappealing on this show--more with each episode.

Archived