The New Girl: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

NEW GIRL (working title)

NEW GIRL (working title) is a new single-camera comedy from Liz Meriwether (“No Strings Attached”) that features a young ensemble cast and takes a fresh and outrageous look at modern male/female relationships. JESS DAY (Zooey Deschanel, “(500) Days of Summer”) is an offbeat and adorable girl in her late 20s who, after a bad breakup, moves in with three single guys. Goofy, positive, vulnerable and honest to a fault, Jess has faith in people, even when she shouldn’t. Although she’s dorky and awkward, she’s comfortable in her own skin. More prone to friendships with women, she’s not used to hanging with the boys – especially at home. Of the three male roommates, NICK (Jake Johnson, “No Strings Attached”) is the most grounded. He had big plans for life, but somewhere along the way, he stopped caring and became a bartender. Usually the smartest guy in the room, he has an uncanny knack for reading people and uses humor to deflect everyone and everything. SCHMIDT (Max Greenfield, “Ugly Betty”) is a hustling young professional who fancies himself a modern-day Casanova. Though his heart is usually in the right place, he’s always scheming ways to climb the social ladder and is driven by an immature and almost obsessive urge to be on “the scene.” Viewing Jess as a gateway into the elusive female mind, as well as a personal project, Schmidt encourages the guys to bring Jess into the apartment. The third roommate, COACH (Damon Wayans Jr., “The Underground”), is a former high school athlete who currently makes his living as a personal trainer. Set in his ways and with a take-it-or-leave-it attitude to dating, Coach is most comfortable when he’s in the gym. Though he’ll never admit it, Coach’s macho athletic exterior is actually a cover for his shyness around women, and he struggles to translate his personal confidence into conversation, preferring to speak in sports metaphors – or not at all. Rounding out this group is Jess’ childhood best friend, CECE (Hannah Simone, “Beautiful People”), a deadpan, somewhat cynical model who blossomed after outgrowing her promiscuous adolescent years. She has the street smarts Jess lacks and spends a lot of time doling out no-nonsense relationship advice that only a professional model could give. She and Jess balance each other well and accept each other despite their faults, making Cece the perfect complement to Jess. As their relationships progress, the five friends come to realize they need each other more than they ever thought they would and end up forming a charmingly dysfunctional family.

PRODUCTION COMPANIES: 20th Century Fox Television, Chernin Entertainment

CREATOR/WRITER: Liz Meriwether

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Liz Meriwether, Jake Kasdan, Peter Chernin, Katherine Pope, Dave Finkel, Brett Baer

DIRECTOR: Jake Kasdan

CAST: Zooey Deschanel as Jess, Max Greenfield as Schmidt, Jake Johnson as Nick, Hannah Simone as Cece, Damon Wayans Jr. as Coach

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I did watch this and... thought it was a shaky pilot with some very cute (not laugh out loud but smilie) moments. I liked that it wasn't mean spirited, and had a sweetness I wouldn't expect from Fox sitcoms (yes I suppose Raising Hope is called sweet by some but...) I'll see if the characters aside from Zooey's develop further...

• Members

Yes I've met hipsters. I've lived in Montreal, Vancouver and San Francisco--they're hard to get away from :P

I like Max too--have ever since Veronica Mars, and he seems to so far be the best defined of the guys. I don't think I'll miss Wayans as Coach since he's not in it from episode 2 on due to Happy Endings being picked up.

• Administrator

I loved it! Favorite moment was the flashback to: "One if god was one of us, just a slob like one of us." "Make it stop!!" :lol:

I thought Zooey was very cute, especially with the glasses on.

"Stop it!" - Damon Wayan Jr's character not knowing how to communicate with women. :lol:

I'm glad the show did well in the ratings. I like shows about friends.

• Members

The actor playing Coach (I think he's one of the junior Wayans?) stars on Happy Endings on ABC. It looked like Happy Endings wouldn't last past midseason for a while, but it was picked up--so he couldn't continue with the series, and I don't think will be back. They did have those quick bits about him leaving, etc, but...

Archived