Paul Raven

Somerset Discussion Thread

I think that Lyle B Hill was a very competent producer.  He has worked on As the World Turns and then on Somerset.   That is obviously the reason that so many performers who had appeared on As the World Turns (Michael Lipton, Ed Kremmer, Gloria Hoye, Pamela King, Abby Lewis etc.) appeared later on Somerset.

The show was interesting when it was being written by Robert Cenedella, Henry Slesar, and even Roy Winson.  But, somewhere during its run, I lost interest in the characters/

I think this began when Julian (Joel Crothers) stopped being a concert pianist and was suddenly hired as the editor  of the town's newspaper.

Mary Waronok and Ray Fulmer were good in their roles.  So too were the show's older cast members (Abby Lewis, Clarice Blackburn, Molly Picon), but the crime element was not quite up to the standards as Mr. Slesar had written.

And, I adored Bibi Beesch after having seen her on The Edge of Night and especially on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.  But I really cannot remember what actor played her romantic lead on this show.

Audrey Landers, who had appeared on The Secret Storm after winning some type of contest, was also good as the daughter of Ms. Beesch.  She was used with two leading men, Greg Mercer (the superb Gary Swanson) and James O'Sullivan (who later became a wonderful actor in his roles but had not yet reached his best).  I remember that the mystery concerning Dr. Kane and Heather was very mysterious, and the fans talked about this storyline a lot.

The newer writers and the later storylines did not hold my attention.  I believe that killing off Dick and Mitch was a mistake.  I know that pairing Georgann Johnson and Jameson Parker was a mistake.  It may have made sense to someone at the time, but it hurt the show's matriarch who had already been weakened when she became a widow.

On 5/21/2019 at 2:39 PM, danfling said:

I think that Lyle B Hill was a very competent producer.  He has worked on As the World Turns and then on Somerset.   That is obviously the reason that so many performers who had appeared on As the World Turns (Michael Lipton, Ed Kremmer, Gloria Hoye, Pamela King, Abby Lewis etc.) appeared later on Somerset.

The show was interesting when it was being written by Robert Cenedella, Henry Slesar, and even Roy Winson.  But, somewhere during its run, I lost interest in the characters/

I think this began when Julian (Joel Crothers) stopped being a concert pianist and was suddenly hired as the editor  of the town's newspaper.

Mary Waronok and Ray Fulmer were good in their roles.  So too were the show's older cast members (Abby Lewis, Clarice Blackburn, Molly Picon), but the crime element was not quite up to the standards as Mr. Slesar had written.

And, I adored Bibi Beesch after having seen her on The Edge of Night and especially on Love Is a Many Splendored Thing.  But I really cannot remember what actor played her romantic lead on this show.

Audrey Landers, who had appeared on The Secret Storm after winning some type of contest, was also good as the daughter of Ms. Beesch.  She was used with two leading men, Greg Mercer (the superb Gary Swanson) and James O'Sullivan (who later became a wonderful actor in his roles but had not yet reached his best).  I remember that the mystery concerning Dr. Kane and Heather was very mysterious, and the fans talked about this storyline a lot.

The newer writers and the later storylines did not hold my attention.  I believe that killing off Dick and Mitch was a mistake.  I know that pairing Georgann Johnson and Jameson Parker was a mistake.  It may have made sense to someone at the time, but it hurt the show's matriarch who had already been weakened when she became a widow.

Dick? I remember Mitch Farmer, but I don't recall a character named Dick.

I was thinking that Dick was the father of Jill.   However, I now realize that Dick was the character that the same actor had played (and would later play) on As the World Turns.   Please tell me, who was married to Ellen and was the father of Jill and David?

16 hours ago, robbwolff said:

Dick? I remember Mitch Farmer, but I don't recall a character named Dick.

When referencing a character named "Dick," Danfling was actually referring to the show's original patriarch Ben Grant, played by actor Ed Kemmer.

Heaven knows, we all have "senior moments" and forget names and storyline details from time to time.

Just for historical accuracy and clarification purposes:

The writer referred to as "Roy Winson" is Roy Winsor, a legendary figure in the golden era of soaps.

Actress "Mary Waronok" is Mary Woronov.

Actress "Bibi Beesch" is, of course, Bibi Besch.