The Beyoncé Thread

• Members

I have loved Beyoncé since her DC days, and after the Coachella excellence that she delivered, Apes**t is disappointing. The track reminds me of CL + Diplo's Doctor Pepper song. It is basically the equivalent of Nene Leakes saying "I am RICH, BITCH!" for 6 minutes.

Maybe I'm comparing it too much to Formation which gave me chills from the first second.

Haven't heard the album yet, is it a collaboration album between her and Jay-Z or is it entirely Beyoncé?

Edited by Cat

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

Finished listening to the album during my workout yesterday.

FAVES

HEATED (especially this one)

ALL IN MY MIND (such a switch-up from the songs before it)

THIQUE (prime twerk music and my booty is ready

Please register in order to view this content

) 

ALIEN SUPERSTAR

COZY (dark loungey...what a surprise)

MOVE

SUMMER RENAISSANCE 

NOT FEELING

CUFF IT

PLASTIC OFF THE SOFA 

VIRGO'S GROOVE

The rest was good and the transitions are so flawlessly good you don't even realize you are onto the next song. Reminds me of Madonna's CONFESSIONS ON A DANCE FLOOR in that regards. 

• Members

She's largely become an albums artist since '4' but I think this is her most singles and pop oriented album since I Am... Sasha Fierce (an album that hasn't aged well at all and is amongst her weakest work, IMO). Also appears to be a nod to the contributions of black performers (like Donna Summer) to the world of dance/house music, which is often overlooked by not just white audiences, but black audiences as well. 

The Neptunes wrote and produced said song and gave Beyonce and her record label permission to clear the sample. Honestly, I'm not quite sure what point Kelis is trying to make for a song she didn't produce or has any legal claim to. Sampling is also hardly a unique practice in urban/pop music. It kind of is what is if she doesn't have the legal grounds to prevent it.