OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I watched this episode years ago, and IIRC, Carla is not in it. I mostly remember finally getting to see Gillian Spencer as Viki and Ernest Graves as Victor. In the episode, Meredith is missing, which is all I can recall at the moment. I'd really like to see it again the next time I'm up in New York.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wasn’t sure if there was a thread on this done already but was curious to about stories that were either not approved by the network or the show changed course on:

In 1987, Tina was supposed to go to Hell the same time Viki went to Heaven (I guess after going over the falls, read this in a SOW issue from 1997) - this would have been an interesting contrast but she didn’t have the history Viki had IMO 

Roxy was supposed to be Rex’s father and trans 

RC proposed a time jump on OLTL (and GH, before getting approval on DAYS, glad it didn’t work out)

RC had a Plan A and Plan B if RH didn’t return as Todd for Tales of Two Todd’s, so I’m curious what that was

Tina was supposed to be arrested at her finale wedding to Cord for Victors murder but they scrapped it for their happy ending instead 

Vimal was supposed to stay in prison but was released when Vimal/Rama took off (that may be unpopular but I loved them!)

• Members

Watching August 1994:

It’s amazing how often the show is overhauled, almost distracts me from watching any era (The Late 80s erased history and failed to build secondary characters, the early 90s was a total reboot, the late 90s lost everything the early 90s gave (except maybe Nora, Blair, Todd?) until the early 2000s folks stayed on through the end, finally stabilizing the community) 

From that perspective, if Gabrielle, Megan or Sarah were still on it would go a long way outside of Max and Cord of keeping that late-80s unit alive, of course I wish AE had stayed as Tina, my all time fave 

Viki is so hardened IMO from her late-80s tone, which I preferred 

The drama with Todd being released from prison is pretty good, the show must have been very consistent in the drama going form Dorians murder trial back to the Todd terror. 

I absolutely adore EB’s Rachel and she feels so sidelined and soon to be gone, and unfortunately VP’s Sheila is already recast. 

The scenes of Blair confessing to Cassie that she ran Luna down were great, I will say Blair/Cassie/Marty/Nora are phenomenal. And Cassie getting onto Dorian for stealing Marty’s mansion is great too! 

• Members

I really love Valarie Pettiford's Sheila, especially in the increasing amount of '92-'93 material that has surfaced in recent years. I barely remember her from when I was a kid but she's great, and the initial story with Hank/Sheila/Troy Nichols (which they apparently hired a Black writer for - I know, give 'em a medal, but in those years it was a considerable move), while definitely hamfisted at times in its broad approach to the men and their differing personalities, does not feel like a C-story in the '92 material. (I also really love the scene from summer '92 which is hopefully still on YT, where Rachel and Sheila discuss colorism and actually bring up Carla Hall.)

I adored Ellen Bethea. I know she left apparently to go back to the stage. And I'll always love Kassie but I've said it before and I'll say it again: The strong focus on Mia Korf's Blair in the '92 eps is still way ahead of its time. There have been no AAPI leads on daytime (if any leads at all) with that level of frontburner power since - period.

• Members

Linda Gottlieb and the rest of her producing team at OLTL should feel very grateful that they got away with recasting Blair with a Caucasian woman when they did.  That [!@#$%^&*] would never fly today, lol.