OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Joan Bennett received $1,000.00 per week for her starring role on Dark Shadows, which began in 1966. Adjusted for inflation, her yearly $52,000.00 salary would be $480,149.38 today. This is excellent pay, of course, but we've heard horror stories about newbie daytime actors earning surprisingly low salaries during the 1960s and well into the 1970s. I imagine TPTB continued to nickel-and-dime most soap performers for as long as they could, and only lavished good salaries on the superstars of the genre,

In January of 1971, Daytime TV magazine (how I miss the golden age of soap mags!) wrote: 

"Would you like to know what actors now get on daytime serials? The new AFTRA (union) minimum fee is $175 for one show, $350 for two, $525 for three, $650 for four, and $790 for five shows a week."

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

The $1.4 million/year figure used to pop up in a lot of articles about Susan Lucci in the '90s.

In that wonderful 1981 interview with Brian Linehan, Beverlee McKinsey says she's the highest salaried actor in daytime... because she insisted on it. Texas was riding on her popularity and created around her without her "consent" per se. She was already working crazy hours on Another World and wanted to quit so she saw to it that she would get all the things soap actors deserved: fewer hours, billing, and more money. She didn't say the amount, but I believe it was Jay Hammer who mentioned in an interview that P&G gave her a million dollar contract.

Edited by SFK

• Members

On our 8th grade New York trip, we saw Novella Nelson playing a verbally abusive grandmother cussing like a sailor at The Young Playwrights Festival. When she came out for the talkback, my classmates were so taken by how lovely, poised, and smooth-spoken she was. 

Beverlee McKinsey, like Morgan Fairchild over a decade later on her two-year soap, left after the first.

• Members

Dipping into '86 and the seemingly somewhat transitional period where they still had supercouple David and Jenny but Rauch was remaking the show lock, stock and barrel. I didn't know Asa/Buchanan Enterprises ever had this amazing super-'80s set of his giant office, with a global map/sculpture piece on the wall and a bunch of cameras. It reminds me of Robert's old penthouse/spy lair on GH. I wonder how long it stuck around (I assume it or pieces of it later became Carlo and then Todd's penthouse - or was that Dorian and Herb's?).

Steve Fletcher looked very hot as Brad with a beard. He should've grown one long before.

Edited by Vee