OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It's interesting seeing Nancy Pinkerton in that photo.  She's the Dorian I watched the most, but I don't recognize her.  But maybe it's Nancy's hairstyle in this picture - just not what I remember at all!

I remember Dorian as a tigress. I did watch OLTL sporadically after Nancy left, so of course I saw Robin Strasser through the years. I guess Robin was dynamic enough that I remember her face and not Nancy's.

Plus, back in those days, as I said in another post, I didn't know anyone who watched soaps, I didn't have the magazines, and I didn't pay attention to the closing credits or the actors.  So I was completely unaware of recasts.  I probably thought Nancy and Robin were the same person, LOL, so Robin's face was the face I began to remember as Dorian's face.

Joe Riley and Larry Wolek in that picture! That's how I remember them.  So handsome!

Edited by janea4old

• Members

He was so good in his final appearances, too - as part of Viki's heart transplant story in 2004. There were many dumb things about that story but the performances were rock solid and to Malone's credit he did play Larry still as a trusted and beloved family friend, he wasn't just there to deliver exposition. Michael Storm did talk in the oral history about how it was painful losing his place in the show's institutional memory.

I had always wanted OLTL to do a special episode devoted to him: "24 Hours with Larry Wolek," where you see Larry go about his day, doing rounds and check-ups wiping the noses of everyone's kid or grandkid in town, waking up next to an old picture of Meredith, still pining for Karen, etc. Reminding people of the character or educating newer viewers about how important to the foundation of the show he was, the unsung hero of Llanview. At the end of it you could have Anna (since Doris Belack was still alive and working at the time) turn up with a young Wolek for him to take in and drive new story for the family. I always wanted the Woleks back.

Edited by Vee

• Members

The weird quirk about Wanda is that she was related to everyone, either directly or through marriage. Brother-in-law Larry (and by extension Victoria and her whole family) , second cousin Asa (and by extension all of the Buchanans), and her pony-tailed, cougar-lovin' nephew Jason.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I don't remember Price Trainor at all. First I heard of him was reading this thread. I guess I must have seen some of him, but I just don't remember.  I remember Carla with Jim Craig.  And later with Ed Hall.

Carla's story affected me emotionally, but I don't remember details. I don't know how else to describe it. 

Some things about the show are vivid in my memory, but some I don't remember at all.   
I don't remember many details. Just feelings/impressions I had.  It's been 50 years.

I wish I could be of more help, but I just don't remember.

• Members

@janea4oldI remember them introducing Leonie Norton as Julie Siegel Tolland. I remember them doing a voiceover for that. I also remember the Marcy Wade storyline. Francesca James wore a leather jacket and hid the gun under it. And the Meredith hostage storyline which went on all summer until she was killed off. 

Edited by TEdgeofNight

• Members

I dunno who did all this work but someone seriously overhauled the Carla Gray Wikipedia page. There's a lot more detailed info on story than I've ever seen.

I had heard before that Ed and Josh allegedly left town in '87 to join Carla and Sadie in Arizona, and the page supports that. But I have no idea if that's true, or if the onscreen implication was that Ed and Carla ultimately got back together after their very sad parting in '85.

• Members

Interesting because I just checked it out for the first time a few days ago, and that summarizes a lot of what I watched.  I couldn't have told it to you from memory but most of it reads to me as somewhat familiar.
But as I said in an earlier post, I don't remember the character Price at all.

Edited by janea4old

• Members

It was so weird transitioning from Robert Milli to Nat Polen in the role of Jim Craig. The potential romantic future of Carla and Jim instantly disappeared (Polen was simply not a viable partner for her) and never even mentioned again in subsequent years.

I can relate. After 30-40-50 years, some memories get muddled or simply vanish altogether. It happens to all of us.

I remember Pryce Trainor, and a policeman named Jack Neal, both of whom could have made long-term on-screen partners for Carla, but they both only last about two years. In the end, it worked out for the best, because we were blessed with Al Freeman as Ed Hall.