OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Back in 1969-1975, when I was a young teen watching the ABC soaps, nobody I knew watched soaps.  A relative who visited in 1969 introduced me to them, and then was gone, so I had nobody to talk with about soaps. I didn't have access to soap magazines.  I had to figure things out as I went along.  The internet wasn't invented. I didn't look at the closing credits, because I never thought about who the actors and actresses were - I was simply interested in the stories. I didn't know recasts were a thing, just that sometimes a character started looking different. If I missed episodes, then I had to figure out what I missed.

I peek in this thread for a few minutes every once in a while.  Most of the time you're all discussing characters that began appearing long after I stopped watching.

It was so cool to see those few seconds of Wanda that were posted above!

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I remember Sadie and Carla.  And Carla "passing" as white.  And the secret that Sadie was her mother.   And later, Ed Hall.

All these stories I saw only once with the original airings.  There was no way to record shows in those days.  And I've never watched any OLTL on youtube.

All I know is what I saw *once* - 50 years ago.

I *very* vividly remember Dorian's torrid affair with Mark Toland. 
I wasn't allowed to watch any TV or movies so I'd never seen anything like that (I had to sneak watching soaps when my parents were at work).
And I think Dorian's sister Melinda saw them together or witnessed a related murder or something sketchy.  I don't remember the details about what Melinda saw or but I think it was the start of mental health problems for her. 
Looking now on soapcentral bios of characters, I see that Nancy Pinkerton was playing Dorian then.  But as I said above, I wasn't aware of casting in those days.

When Tommy Lee Jones became famous later on. I didn't recognize him.  I later learned he was the Mark Toland actor.

When I watched there was only Viki and Niki.  Niki was the only alter.  And then later Viki was cured and it was over, I don't remember how/why/when.

I saw the original version of Dorian allowing Victor Lord to die.

Of course I read online that decades later they retconned it that Viki had more alters, and it went on for a while and then it was revealed that her DID was the result of her father having molested her when she was young.  And she was actually the one who had killed him and not Dorian.  I read all that in detail.  But I never watched any of that.

Back in the days when I was watching, I saw was what aired before the retcon.  Dorian was responsible for Victor's death.

I just posted all of the above off the top of my head without looking anything up (except for Nancy Pinkerton's name and Doris Belack's name).  But it's been 50 years so I'm sure I've remembered some things wrong!

Edited by janea4old

• Members

@janea4old   The last time I posted this on my fb group, Marilyn Chris commented "Oh, my old friends" Yes, I recognize and miss them."   So cute.  She doesn't comment often, but a picture with Michael Storm and Janice Lynde or Doris Belack always earns a "like" from her.  Wanda was one of my favorites. She took in the new faces and was always straight up with them...

h7R9WtC.jpg

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Yes this was the (mostly) cast I was watching (except for Jacqueline - the Pat Kendall character began around the time I stopped watching regularly.).  
After 1976, due to being busy in life, I watched only sporadically.

Edit: I looked up the actor names on this photo via doing a search on Getty Images.

I see that the actor in the back - Shepperd Strudwick - played Victor Lord. I don't recognize him.  (I guess I might have seen some of his stuff but I just don't remember that face).

I see from soapcentral that the Victor Lord that I watched (during my main years watching) was played by Ernest Graves? 

Edited by janea4old

• Members

I believe she decided to go open a bookstore in Seattle with a new love interest - I can't remember who, a known TV character actor I think. Marilyn Chris chose to leave.

@janea4oldI'm sure we'd all appreciate more of your recollections. I'd love to know anything you can recall about the twists and turns of the original Carla story and how it played out or ended, and the love triangle with her, Jim Craig and Price Trainor, or anything else. Usually our knowledge doesn't go beyond the premise or people retelling the big reveal scene with Carla and Sadie in the hallway.

Edited by Vee

• Members

She talks at length about it in the oral history and makes it clear she deliberately opted out of renegotiating her contract ("please don't tell me how much you were going to offer me"), and says she wanted to leave to focus on her life and family with her son grown and raised and her having remarried IIRC. She seems happy enough with her exit.

Edited by Vee