OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I wonder what are the chances of them bringing back Marilyn Chris as Wanda. I've only seen a little bit of her (I know there's more thanks to HamiltonBernique, but I've been focused on watching AMC videos lately), and I'm not sure if she has any connection at all to any of the current characters, but I'd love it if maybe she and Roxy went into business together or something like that. That would be hilarious.

• Members

The first time I saw OLTL was on a videotape of a Doctor Who story. It was part of an episode, near the end of the tape. I remember a woman I recognized as Jenna Bradshaw, in some front porch, talking to an old woman about a secret. I also remember a woman in a wheelchair, in a very loud and ugly living room set.

Then a few years later I watched the wedding tape, and I enjoyed it (the scenes I loved most were Sarah's return, Bo reading about "Paradise," Cassie wailing "BOOOO!" as he ran out...and I loved Tina's "I take thee, Cord", and the gasps when Tina gave the baby to Cord and passed out). I started watching OLTL a bit, as this was around the time the DID story was winding down. I watched on and off.

I didn't get "hooked" until Daytime to Remember, they had two weeks of OLTL episodes and I just loved every second. They were superb, with none of the filler that dragged down the GH selections.

In some ways that spoiled me, because I've never been as satisfied with the current OLTL, I've always been looking for that perfection that does not exist anymore. But I have still enjoyed a lot of the OLTL of recent years, and it's been nice to see that, even with many mistakes, OLTL is ending with their two main life forces, Dorian and Viki, intact. There is so much else I want to see, but ATWT's last year has taught me not to expect anything.

OLTL was the show that could be, and was, anything and everything. I truly believe that of all the soaps on the air now, OLTL was the one that could have thrived and revolutionized soaps if extensive repair work was made. But no one at ABC cared, because a short term profit and long term oblivion are all that matter.

• Members

As sad as it is to say, I don't even think it's "mother" Agnes Nixon cared that much about it in the last few decades. I know she came on during the show's 40th anniversary for two episodes but come on, we all know All My children was her 'baby.' She just glowed every time she talked about it. and she came on it several times during it's 35th anniversary and beyond. remember she came on for the anniversary where Phoeobe had her final episode, then she came on again for Phoebe's funeral and then again as a ghost (i don't know if that was after or for it's 10,0000th episode) and then i think she was on again when Myrtle died but i could be wrong on that one. If they were both her real children, AMC was her star and OLTL was "the other one." If you asked her about OLTL, she's mostly talk about the storylines of the very early years because she hasn't kept up as much after she "gave birth" to AMC.

Although i do feel very sorry for Agnes because it's like both her children have been sentenced to death at the same time just murdered four months apart. Brian Frons is judge and jury. I do not beleive it was audience participation at all! If he killed one and then said that the other might go eventually, i would say OK it was the audience but to kill off two soaps on the same network that are one by one in a row, No! That was all him! and nobody can tell me any differently!

• Members

Karen's testimony is OLTL's defining pop culture moment. Every soap has at least one, for OLTL, it's Karen on the witness stand.

Forget Eterna, Old West, Heaven, Marty's gang rape, etc. I don't think they will go down in soap opera legend like Karen's testimony.

OLTL had very complex characters in the late 70's. Karen was not the most likeable person, but somehow, you felt for her and wanted her to find some sort of happiness and confidence. You just don't get those types of characters on American soaps any more.

That said, at the very least, maybe Judith would do a cameo appearance. But, outside of Vicki and possibly Dorian, who would she know on the show?

• Members

Yeah, Robin and Judith seemed very close during this time.

When they were both nominated for the Emmy in 1981, Robin looked genuinely happy when Judith won, and Judith was filled with glee when Robin won a year later.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pj8wwqgmdBo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nyB0ZJBOSos" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edited by Y&RWorldTurner