OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Janice worked for Paul Rauch on Another World. 

She must have been OK with him to agree to OLTL.

I think with both of those characters there wasn't the depth of character that she had at Y&R.

She probably didn't realize how good she had it at Y&R, even though it was a tough time for her. Leslie was front and center whereas Tracey and Laurel were just part of the ensemble.

Michael was in the same position in that the Meredith and Karen stories were biggies whereas Larry/Laurel was just kind of there.

• Members

I remember reading somewhere that OLTL had two actresses (I think specifically actresses, rather than two stars, but maybe not) who wanted very much for the other one to be axed, but the show needed both, so that one would work with a group of actors in the morning and the other in the afternoon and they didn't have to work together. Does this ring any bells? I wondered if this would be Erika Slezak and Judith Light, both necessary to the show at this time.

And Paul, I totally agree that poor Larry should have known to avoid women named Karen! The first Karen Wolek was disastrous enough.

• Members

Karen and Victoria were close friends and shared many scenes, including the infamous courthouse scene where Karen confessed her career as a lady of the night. 

Meanwhile, Larry was like the Perils of Pauline, rather than using him for medical stories, he was always being kidnapped or having chips implanted in his brain.  He was paired with women who had been victimized, but he always wound up getting literally hurt by his romances.  After Meredith, Larry was the perennial third wheel in every love triangle and was always portrayed as the conciliation prize for most of his girlfriends, which did not make him a very likable character.  Until his avuncular relationship with Marty, I always felt like Larry was too much of a nerd to be a leading man and I didn't notice that he was missing until it was pointed out by SOD.

• Members

Inspired by the unpopular opinion thread - one critique that seems pretty common was that Erika Slezak's acting during the 1985 multiple personality story was melodramatic and over the top.

For me, using a wig as a visual indicator of mental illness was the clue that the whole story would be bad.  However, it always begged the question - Who bought the wig for Niki Smith?

In the context of the story, one of the rules was that Viki and Niki were unaware of each other's actions.  So, did Niki buy the wig after looking in the mirror and deciding she needed a new look?  Or did Viki buy the wig on impulse, wanting to spice things up?  Did Viki never see the wig, or the clothes, in her bedroom?  Did Niki take off the the wig when she felt Viki taking over?  Didn't Niki need a wig cap and clips, or did she just throw it on and hope for the best?  Why did Niki choose a wig the same color as Viki's natural hair?  The wig just appeared without explanation, but it has bothered me ever since. 

To be fair, once OLTL did a little more consultation and started using the updated term DID (disassociative identity disorder), the storyline was still nothing close to reality during the Jess/Tess saga.  But, at least they ditched the wig.

Edited by j swift