Jump to content
Key Links: Announcements | Support Desk

OLTL Tribute Thread


Toups

Recommended Posts

  • Members
2 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

I think it was a combination of both his not wanting to be on the show (he said OLTL's writing was "even worse than Another World's," YIKES!) and TPTB's realization that he was more trouble than he was worth.

Erika Slezak said that on his last day at the studio, Reinholt ranted and raved his way down the hallways and out the door. She also said he was "crazy" while on the show. but calmed down in later years. When cutting into the soap's anniversary cake that year, the producer at the time "joked" that the cake should have been GR's heart. 

It looked like there was no love lost on either side.

Unfortunately, however, the character of Tony (who should have been a major and influential part of the show) failed badly after Reinholt left. It was a relief when they finally killed him off after three failed recasts.

Thank you. It seems that Mr. Reinholt was often his own worst enemy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

  • Members
3 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

Thank you. It seems that Mr. Reinholt was often his own worst enemy.

Various people over the years noted that he was very unhappy at the time, but he really did burn a lot of bridges while he was on the soaps.

Still, for the most part, his acting was stellar.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
2 hours ago, amybrickwallace said:

How would you compare Jacquie Courtney's work on AW to OLTL?

Jacqueline Courtney was excellent on both soaps (Harding Lemay's petulant assessment aside), and had a certain something, that special IT factor which made her a star. The only "negative" comment I could offer about Courtney's acting comes from her time on OLTL, when she was asked to play an evil twin. Her Maggie Ashley was supposedly British, sported a fabulously fake wig, and wore glasses which kept sliding down her nose and needed to be pushed back up all the time. I don't know if it was the accent, the wardrobe, the direction or WHAT, but Maggie was a caricature rather than an actual character, and poor JC simply could not pull it off. (To be fair, I don't think anyone could have. The evil twin and the storyline itself were just painful.) In general, however, Courtney shone on screen and was quite likeable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
1 hour ago, vetsoapfan said:

Jacqueline Courtney was excellent on both soaps (Harding Lemay's petulant assessment aside), and had a certain something, that special IT factor which made her a star. The only "negative" comment I could offer about Courtney's acting comes from her time on OLTL, when she was asked to play an evil twin. Her Maggie Ashley was supposedly British, sported a fabulously fake wig, and wore glasses which kept sliding down her nose and needed to be pushed back up all the time. I don't know if it was the accent, the wardrobe, the direction or WHAT, but Maggie was a caricature rather than an actual character, and poor JC simply could not pull it off. (To be fair, I don't think anyone could have. The evil twin and the storyline itself were just painful.) In general, however, Courtney shone on screen and was quite likeable.

Thank you. I do recall Ellen Holly shading her portrayal of the twin in Llanview in the Afternoon. Ouch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Thank you. I do recall Ellen Holly shading her portrayal of the twin in Llanview in the Afternoon. Ouch.

Well, I agree that Courtney's portrayal of the evil twin was lacking, but of course, Ellen Holly was bitter and resentful of JC, and had a personal axe to grind.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
3 hours ago, vetsoapfan said:

Jacqueline Courtney was excellent on both soaps (Harding Lemay's petulant assessment aside), and had a certain something, that special IT factor which made her a star. The only "negative" comment I could offer about Courtney's acting comes from her time on OLTL, when she was asked to play an evil twin. Her Maggie Ashley was supposedly British, sported a fabulously fake wig, and wore glasses which kept sliding down her nose and needed to be pushed back up all the time. I don't know if it was the accent, the wardrobe, the direction or WHAT, but Maggie was a caricature rather than an actual character, and poor JC simply could not pull it off. (To be fair, I don't think anyone could have. The evil twin and the storyline itself were just painful.) In general, however, Courtney shone on screen and was quite likeable.

Acting aside, I enjoyed the liberation of Pat over Alice.  This is an unpopular opinion but I never liked Alice's fragility and I was annoyed at her insistence at called her husband Steven, because it always emphasized to me that Alice loved the ideal of a self-made man like Steve, more than the actual guy who was very flawed.

Pat was pursued by many men.  She had a career as a journalist that was a key part of her character.  She also was a good friend to Vicky.  She was a strong woman, capable of raising a child on her own, and didn't need the constant support of her family to be stable.  

56 minutes ago, amybrickwallace said:

Was the twin before she met Bo? Wasn't she Bo's first love interest on the show?

The twin was definitely before Bo, because she caused problems in Pat's prior relationship with Tony.  I don't exactly the recall the sequence of Bo romances, because I think he was dating Mimi (the former cheerleader for Asa's football team, who later romanced Larry) when he was introduced, and then he began a relationship with Pat.  Of course, Bo himself later had a doppelganger when Patrick London reappeared with his face, but that's a whole other story.

I know Pat and Bo were together when his mother was first revealed, because they had a remote in Paris, and I vaguely remember that she was at the month long wedding of Asa and Sam when Olympia made her entrance into Llandview.  But, I think Pat was gone before the Ralstons were introduced and Bo started dilly dallying with Becky and Delilah.  I think she left to take a job out of town, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm incorrect. 

In the Soaps of Yesteryear tumblr articles, it was noted that Courtney was fired because she was an expensive artifact of prior writers and producers, and the new team wanted to focus on the Buchanans and other stories.

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 minutes ago, j swift said:

Acting aside, I enjoyed the liberation of Pat over Alice.  This is an unpopular opinion but I never liked Alice's fragility and I was annoyed at her insistence at called her husband Steven, because it always emphasized to me that Alice loved the ideal of a self-made man like Steve, more than the actual guy who was very flawed.

Pat was pursued by many men.  She had a career as a journalist that was a key part of her character.  She also was a good friend to Vicky.  She was a strong woman, capable of raising a child on her own, and didn't need the constant support of her family to be stable.  

The twin was definitely before Bo, because she caused problems in Pat's prior relationship to Paul.  I don't exactly the recall the sequence of Bo romances, because I think he was dating Mimi (the former cheerleader for Asa's football team, who later romanced Larry) when he was introduced, and then he began a relationship with Pat.  Of course, Bo himself later had a doppelganger when Jamie Sanders reappeared with his face, but that's a whole other story.

I know Pat and Bo were together when his mother was first revealed, because they had a remote in Paris, and I vaguely remember that she was at the month long wedding of Asa and Sam when Olympia made her entrance into Llandview.  But, I think Pat was gone before the Ralstons were introduced and Bo started dilly dallying with Becky and Delilah.  I think she left to take a jod out of town, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm incorrect.

Patrick London had his face.

Pat and Bo were history by 1982, when she married Tony Lord (CL). I believe she may have crossed paths with David Renaldi before taking a job away from Llanview. Tony died in the Middle East in 1983, an explosion.  Pat was mourning the loss.

Edited by slick jones
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
13 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Pat and Bo were history by 1982; when she married Tony Lord (CL). I believe she may have crossed paths with David Renaldi before taking a job away from Llanview. Tony died in the Middle East in 1983, an explosion.  Pat was mourning the loss.

Yes, I sort of recall the story with Georgina, the racing cars, and alternative fuels which I believe transitioned the Pat/Bo/Tony triangle.

I went back and edited the Jamie Sanders issue, I remembered that his grandmother was in on the scheme but I forgot that it was Patrick and not Jamie.  I also can't remember if it was a mask or plastic surgery.  But, I do recall that it was the end for Didi and the inconsequential return for Delilah, a great character who was too often saddled with very boring romantic pairings, although I always enjoyed a Brad and Delilah scene.

One can only wonder what today's fans who hate Ben on DAYS for a little serial killing in his past would make of the longevity of Brad? 

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
9 minutes ago, slick jones said:

Patrick London had his face.

Pat and Bo were history by 1982, when she married Tony Lord (CL). I believe she may have crossed paths with David Renaldi before taking a job away from Llanview. Tony died in the Middle East in 1983, an explosion.  Pat was mourning the loss.

And according to many sources online, Maggie created problems for Pat and Clint. Yes, Pat apparently Clint for a while. After Maggie died, Pat and Clint broke up, and then Pat and Bo got involved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members

OLTL had quite a few popular actresses and female characters to juggle at this time. I wonder if Pat/Jacquie Courtney, despite the big fanfare with bringing her on, just got lost in the shuffle, and the fact she was apparently having an affair with producer Joe Stuart for much of that time couldn't have endeared her to much of that cast/crew (who knew). 

Edited by BetterForgotten
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
24 minutes ago, robbwolff said:

Yes, Pat apparently Clint for a while. After Maggie died, Pat and Clint broke up, and then Pat and Bo got involved.

I know Joe Riley recruited Pat to work at the newspaper because she was a friend of Cathy Craig which is how she was introduced. 

Here''s a link to her history https://thesoapoperasaga.blogspot.com/2018/05/one-life-to-live-pat-ashley-kendalls.html

I forgot the sequence that Tony came first to Landview, and then Pat, and finally Paul.  But, that fits with the history of when they were fired from AW.

Was Talbot Huddleston, who later killed Marco, driving the car that killed Pat's son Brian? 

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Members
29 minutes ago, Paul Raven said:

Yeas and Karen Wolek was a passenger and witness to that.

Did Pat and Karen ever have it out over that?

I seem to recall that accident is why Katrina Karr, who was with Talbot, went to the hospital, which is when she gave birth to her child conceived with Brad, and set into motion the baby switch with Jenny by Karen and Marco.

Because in the famous witness stand scene, Karen had to admit that she was a part-time prostitute (in her words "a common whore") in order to explain how she knew Katrina's relationship to Talbot Huddleston (who I always conflate with the guy that killed Susan Moore on GH, but that was Crane Tolliver) due to the fact that Katrina was in a coma (or just incapacitated) when Marco was killed, and then recovered in time to exonerate Vicky at her trial.

Also, why Pat had no beef with Karen, and sympathy for Katrina, who was an innocent bystander that had her baby stolen.

Meanwhile, if Larry just went into private practice so that Karen could renovate their house and build the pool she wanted, the whole thing could have been avoided (lol).

 

Edited by j swift
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Community Activity

    1. 4,693
    2. 34,291

      Bravo's The Real Housewives of....

    3. 34,291

      Bravo's The Real Housewives of....

    4. 10,659

      Y&R: Old Articles

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy