OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Jacqueline Courtney was excellent on both soaps (Harding Lemay's petulant assessment aside), and had a certain something, that special IT factor which made her a star. The only "negative" comment I could offer about Courtney's acting comes from her time on OLTL, when she was asked to play an evil twin. Her Maggie Ashley was supposedly British, sported a fabulously fake wig, and wore glasses which kept sliding down her nose and needed to be pushed back up all the time. I don't know if it was the accent, the wardrobe, the direction or WHAT, but Maggie was a caricature rather than an actual character, and poor JC simply could not pull it off. (To be fair, I don't think anyone could have. The evil twin and the storyline itself were just painful.) In general, however, Courtney shone on screen and was quite likeable.

• Members

Acting aside, I enjoyed the liberation of Pat over Alice.  This is an unpopular opinion but I never liked Alice's fragility and I was annoyed at her insistence at called her husband Steven, because it always emphasized to me that Alice loved the ideal of a self-made man like Steve, more than the actual guy who was very flawed.

Pat was pursued by many men.  She had a career as a journalist that was a key part of her character.  She also was a good friend to Vicky.  She was a strong woman, capable of raising a child on her own, and didn't need the constant support of her family to be stable.  

The twin was definitely before Bo, because she caused problems in Pat's prior relationship with Tony.  I don't exactly the recall the sequence of Bo romances, because I think he was dating Mimi (the former cheerleader for Asa's football team, who later romanced Larry) when he was introduced, and then he began a relationship with Pat.  Of course, Bo himself later had a doppelganger when Patrick London reappeared with his face, but that's a whole other story.

I know Pat and Bo were together when his mother was first revealed, because they had a remote in Paris, and I vaguely remember that she was at the month long wedding of Asa and Sam when Olympia made her entrance into Llandview.  But, I think Pat was gone before the Ralstons were introduced and Bo started dilly dallying with Becky and Delilah.  I think she left to take a job out of town, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm incorrect. 

In the Soaps of Yesteryear tumblr articles, it was noted that Courtney was fired because she was an expensive artifact of prior writers and producers, and the new team wanted to focus on the Buchanans and other stories.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Patrick London had his face.

Pat and Bo were history by 1982, when she married Tony Lord (CL). I believe she may have crossed paths with David Renaldi before taking a job away from Llanview. Tony died in the Middle East in 1983, an explosion.  Pat was mourning the loss.

Edited by slick jones

• Members

Yes, I sort of recall the story with Georgina, the racing cars, and alternative fuels which I believe transitioned the Pat/Bo/Tony triangle.

I went back and edited the Jamie Sanders issue, I remembered that his grandmother was in on the scheme but I forgot that it was Patrick and not Jamie.  I also can't remember if it was a mask or plastic surgery.  But, I do recall that it was the end for Didi and the inconsequential return for Delilah, a great character who was too often saddled with very boring romantic pairings, although I always enjoyed a Brad and Delilah scene.

One can only wonder what today's fans who hate Ben on DAYS for a little serial killing in his past would make of the longevity of Brad? 

Edited by j swift

• Members

OLTL had quite a few popular actresses and female characters to juggle at this time. I wonder if Pat/Jacquie Courtney, despite the big fanfare with bringing her on, just got lost in the shuffle, and the fact she was apparently having an affair with producer Joe Stuart for much of that time couldn't have endeared her to much of that cast/crew (who knew). 

Edited by BetterForgotten

• Members

I know Joe Riley recruited Pat to work at the newspaper because she was a friend of Cathy Craig which is how she was introduced. 

Here''s a link to her history https://thesoapoperasaga.blogspot.com/2018/05/one-life-to-live-pat-ashley-kendalls.html

I forgot the sequence that Tony came first to Landview, and then Pat, and finally Paul.  But, that fits with the history of when they were fired from AW.

Was Talbot Huddleston, who later killed Marco, driving the car that killed Pat's son Brian? 

Edited by j swift