OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

One Life to Live's Donnie Jeffcoat (Joey Buchanan) will join me live in The Locher Room on Thursday, August 5th at 3 p.m. EST / 12 p.m. PST. Donnie will be here to take a look back at his career in television and of course his time spent in Llaneview. Donnie will also tell us about his current role as Chief Instructor and owner of Shaolin American Self Defense Academy and his most important role to date as father to eight month old Willow. Sensei Donnie Jeffcoat started his martial arts training in the Fredrick J. Villari Kempo system in 1985. To add to his martial arts repertoire, he transferred to Professor Charles Materra's United Studios of Self-Defense system two years later. Since then, he has studied Shaolin Kempo and various other forms of martial arts, including but not limited to fight choreography. Donnie has been teaching Kenpō since 2006 and opened the Shaolin American Self-Defense Academy in 2011. He currently trains in American Kenpo and is a fifth degree black belt.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

No offense to Don Jeffcoat. He wasn't a bad Joey. He most definitely captured Joey's sweet, kind hearted and jovial demeanor. But Alan should've gotten Chris McKenna or Nathan Fillion. Who had much better writing during there runs. DJ's run was pretty forgettable. Alan will most likely do a worse interviewing. Than a quirky Soap Past did.  BTW the awkward stares SP gives his guest. Are both creepy and funny.

Edited by victoria foxton

• Members

I watched Jeffcoat's interview. Nothing that shocking, but he did talk about how difficult it was to cope with all the producer and writer upheaval.

He mentioned how welcoming Erika Slezak and Robin Strasser were to him, Bob Woods having fun on the set, Phil Carey and Clint Ritchie taking them out to drink during filming breaks. He said he is still friends with Jason Shane Scott and Yorlin Madera, and "Facebook friends" with Gina Tognoni. 

He said he was originally turned down and then months later got a call back, apparently because they were struggling to fill the role and Mark Teschner (who had known him from GH) said they should go with him.

He said he did not realize until later on what big shoes he had to fill replacing Nathan Fillion. He also mentioned how ridiculous he looked when he had to be in a towel and playing a romantic type moment with Robin Strasser, as he was so young and skinny. He mentioned what a bad reaction this got online, and how he was hated online.  

He said that he briefly mentioned having taken tap  classes when asked about his background for possible story ideas, which led to scenes of Joey dancing that he hated. 

He said that he spent most of his time on the show having little to do, with even the dog having more lines, and that he was happy about the Joey/Kelly/Kevin stuff that happened near the end of his run because at least he finally had something to play. 

He said JFP told him at one point that she had nearly fired him and the only reason she did not is because she had no idea he had such a high Q rating (from his work pre-OLTL).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

I completely forgot about it.  He was rather blah as Joey. I always preferred Fillion. If I were oltl I wouldn't have listened to Mark. I wonder who the oltl casting director had in mind for Joey?

Ill have to catch the interview later.

• Members

The main problem with Joey was the writing. Nathan was better early on but by his last two years he was just hanging around. 

He said he couldn't remember who the other guy was but they went to sightsee in New York together before they got called back and he was picked. 

• Members

Dorian and Joe were delicious fun and a great source of revenge for Dorian. Loved that story and found that era of OLTL compulsively entertaining. I don’t think there was any plan for them to be some long term relationship. I think the show, actors, writers saw this couple for what it was - a coming of age lusty relationship for Joey and revenge and fun for Dorian (even though she developed feelings for him, he was no Herb or Mel).

• Members

The main problem is there was no proper plan for Joey after the fling ended. It was such a captivating story, and then he was just in limbo, made worse by the arrival of Kelly, played by an actress who tanked every  single pairing she ever had on OLTL.And even though Joey and Dorian, realistically, never would have worked long-term, him still being in her orbit yet being with a dead fish relation of hers felt like a slap in the face - to her and to fans of the pairing.

• Members

I had an amusing thought about Victoria Lord-Riley-Burke-Riley-Buchanan-Buchanan-Carpenter-Davidson-Banks; - a single kidnapping is a misfortune, but when two out of three of your babies have been kidnapped (four out of five, if you count Megan and Natalie) the mother is at least partially to blame.  I mean the woman forgot giving birth to two different daughters, so she wasn't that careful or observant.

Dorian was probably correct that Vicky shouldn't have lived at Llandfair, because she certainly could never hire an adequate security team.  Allison Perkins and Cathy Craig were very unstable women and could have been easily deterred by the hiring of a bodyguard for the babies (for you nitpickers, I know Vicky didn't live in the main house when Kevin was kidnapped).  Victor maintained a secret room for thirty years that was never destroyed until Vicky stumbled upon it.  And let's not even discuss the number of times the Manor was on fire, people fell out off windows, or was almost bombed by wedding cakes.

Edited by j swift

• Members

I read this some time ago, and I guessed this Myrtle was the one from AMC:

ONE LIFE TO LIVE: Week of January 22 - January 26, 1979

Karen coerced Beverly into helping find Marco’s real murderer.  Samantha looked swell after her bandages were removed.  Someone impersonated Niki, because Viki was with Paul Martin when landlady Myrtle reported that Niki had paid her rent money at the same time.  Tony and Paul Kendall reconciled their differences at Brian’s grave.  Brad lost big bucks at the racetrack with Gwen.  Lynn fretted about being called as a prosecution witness.

Edited by MissPalmer