OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I always thought it would be interesting to try to bring Cathy back - I know they remodeled her into the model of playing a 'modern feminist' as an adult, vs. Catherine Burns who I guess was the original and a wallflower, or Amy Levitt the damaged young addict. Said it before, but Burns was incredible in Last Summer. I've never gotten to see Kavanaugh or Harmon as the adult Cathy and I'd like to.

Years ago, when Michael Malone brought on Daniel Colson and his son Riley, and Riley rather randomly announced that he was named for crusading reporter Joe Riley who his mother had known and admired, I sometimes wondered if they were trying to imply Riley's mother was Cathy Craig.

Edited by Vee

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It would have been interesting to see Cathy back in 2005 but at the rate they were going she would have been dead and buried in no time. 

Watching DAYS recently and thinking back to Marlena in comparison to Viki and how RC has overall kept Marlena at the forefront either through family or having old enemies return and thinking of what could have been with Viki.  

He did great with the romance with Charlie and there was obvious interference (seemed pretty glaring by 2009-2011) but I would have loved to see Viki getting a good balance of leading The Banner and battling old villains like she did in the late 80s. Obviously not kidnapped every week like Marlena and not Jamie Sanders coming back every 6 months to kidnap someone but I just wonder if there were and how many plans there were for Viki that never came to be. 

Edited by soapfave06

• Members

You make an interesting point about the story telling in the later years. 

I was recently watching some late 1970's (maybe it was early 80's?) episodes around the time when Viki almost saw Karen turning tricks in the Llandview Hotel.  In that episode, she mentored Pat about the politics of working in the newsroom with men.  She talked to Tina about how to keep herself safe from predators.  Then, she was at the hotel to have a professional lunch about her newspaper.  Fast forward forty years and Viki never had an office set, she had no female friends, and she chased after damaged men who were rarely worth her time.    

Edited by j swift

• Members

Yeah, your comment inspired me to reflect on Ron's plotting.  As much as I appreciated the central role given to Viki, most of the time she was reacting to events rather than driving the narrative.  I would love to have seen how Viki navigated The Banner through the onset of online media.  To watch her struggle with editing the reporting of internet sources and gossip trolls.  It might have been more interesting than a third time through menopause or watching her feign interest over the fatherhood of Natalie's latest child.

Although one has to credit Ron for creating Walker/Flynn, Victor Jr, and Todd, the first doppelganger of a long lost twin ever in the history of soaps.  He later repeated the same hat trick on DOOL with Hattie.  If Adrienne or Bonnie get a long lost twin then we'll have a trifecta.

Edited by j swift

• Members

Oh right, Joe carried the genetic issue (a Roseanne Rosanadana moment).  Although the same point could be made that none of Joey, Kevin, or Duke's kids were affected by their father's DNA issues.  So, I still doubt Larry's expertise on the issue.

Edited by j swift

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I was just minding my own business on YouTube. While randomly this video popped up with a recent virtual reunion with  Catherine Hickland (Lindsay) and Hillary B. Smith (Nora) Looks like Catherine and her husband Todd Fisher (Debbie Reynolds son) have their own channel. 

• Members

I haven't watched it all, but Hillary sings Ellen Bethea's praises near the end. I haven't been able to find signs of Bethea online since shortly after Obama's inauguration, when she was a very visible and proud supporter on Facebook or something. I don't know if she's still acting. Daphnee Duplaix was very good (and I think Hillary said in print she was the only Rachel that had the same spirit as Bethea) but EB was still the best for me.

• Members

Color me three.

I like CH and Lindsay very much. It is unfortunate that the character's immediate family was mostly unpopular performers and characters because it didn't give HER enough grounding in Llanview to survive as a character in the long-run but she had a great run when she was there.