OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Aww Matthew and Destiny got engaged. That's sweet. I wonder if she mentioned Bo. I miss OLTL a lot, even with how bad it was it had a stronger connection to its past than AMC did when it died and GH now.

• Members

There's a discussion on the exec producer thread about the original plan for Jessica and Natalie regarding their parentage.

I think Natalie vs. Meghan's long-lost-baby backstory is such an interesting contrast.  Paul Rauch took under a year to tell the impossible story of Eterna to explain how Vicky could have had a long-lost child.  The audience instantly accepted Meghan and moved on. 

Cut to another decade and the writers are much more low-key about providing specifics of how Natalie came to be; which then bit the show in the butt because it took years to nail it down.  They had the technological advance of the DNA to prove maternity, but it didn't explain how Vicky became Natalie's mother.  I would suggest it one of the variables that limited Natalie's appeal to me as a character.

Also, I've always hated soap stories where adults meet their rich biological parents and expect an instant attachment.  I think there are many long-lost kids of rock stars in real life who would tell a different tale.  It is weird and usually reflects poorly on the parental character who neglected a kid for some reason that needs to be justified in the plot so they don't seem like monsters.

• Members

Wow - Clint Ritchie's name (OLTL) is shown in the opening credits of a fictional "Rick Dalton" Western in the new trailer for Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (at 0:16).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've been, for some reason, spending my time watching the fascinating and disastrous 1994-1995 season of Saturday Night Live. 

Bruce McCulloch, best known for Kids in the Hall, did four short films for SNL around this time. This one, a very depressing look at the rise and fall of a karaoke singer, has a moment where the song he does every time is taken by someone else, someone much better. 

She is uncredited, but I recognized her immediately. It's Sandra P Grant, the unfortunate Rachel Gannon #3. Nice to be able to associate her with something beyond the trash she got on OLTL

https://streamable.com/j2vj0

I love seeing soap actors pop up in random places. Another episode from this season had the woman who played Eleni's grandmother on Guiding Light appear for a bit part. 

• Members

I think Natalie as Viki's daughter was the last great "long-lost child" story told in daytime. It was rooted in history, they cast a great actress (though veeeery green at first, I still loved her) and it lead to...well, a lot of bad stories BUT a real genuine bond between mother and daughter that came across well onscreen.

• Members

The day to day writing was often a mess thanks to Gary Tomlin's sensibilities, but the performances and the background lore with Allison and Mitch was rock solid. And when Mitch finally did return - something that seemed to just hang in the air for over a year - it was appropriately ominous.

I remember when I got told, I think, it was the summer of '02, that one of the daughters would turn out to be the daughter of "Niki and Mitch". (The Niki mention may have been a mistake or they may have rewritten that bit) Just the idea of invoking Mitch, long-dead but so feared, spooked me. So I wasn't surprised when Roscoe Born turned up. Right after Allison famously hissed "ask Mitch".

Edited by Vee

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

On tonight's Tony Awards, Judith Light (Karen Wolek Wolek #2) was presented a special award for  her work to end HIV/AIDS and support for LGBTQ+ and .

human rights.

Also, Corbin Bleu (Jeffrey) was seen in scenes from Kiss Me, Kate.

Edited by danfling

• 3 weeks later...