OLTL Tribute Thread

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was listening to the late '60s Niki Smith scene on Youtube and I'm curious to know more about the fall-out over Meredith not being Victor's biological daughter. Was that ever reversed or did it stick? I mean, Victor obviously loved her and was happy to raise her as his own, but I wonder if legally there was anything to do with that.

• Members

In soap trivia books (which often get details wrong) AMC's honeymoon in St Croix is listed as the first international location shoot (apparently the show was so popular there that they aired in prime time).  (Although technically St Croix is a constituent district of the US...)  It seems like it was a particularly popular tourist place for Americans around that time--you don't hear about it nearly as much now...

• Members

While writing my MA essay on Agnes Nixon and gay storylines in soaps, I came across this--has this been discussed and I missed it?  A VERY analytical dissertation on OLTL from the mid 1970s but it has fascinating stuff--script excerpts, a hint that Sam Hall and Gordon Russell did not get along (*shock*

Please register in order to view this content

), confirmation that Agnes Nixon basically suggested the death of Victor Lord story, etc...  https://etd.ohiolink.edu/pg_10?105547168403::NO:10:P10_ETD_SUBID:132868#abstract-files

(scroll down to the download links)

• Members

@EricMontreal22I read it and my jaw dropped at the idea of what passed as a dissertation at Ohio State in 1976.  There are five pages on writing a letter of introduction to Agnes Nixon?  I get that media and theoretical studies don't include data, but that is just a guy sitting in someone's office for a few days.  It's like a four grader's report on Bring Your Child to Work Day.  The parts about the dogs on the street in front of the studio and the hot dog cart made me think that you and I are the only people who read this because a dissertation committee who normally require edits of such obvious padding.   I googled him and couldn't discern if he is the behavioral researcher or the political commentator, but I couldn't find any further soap references for him.

All in all, it reminded me of an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show with two smart guys and a wisecracking gal-Friday trying to appease everyone.

• Members

I mean I assume Ron would have had access to the ABC archives which go back to 1978? (77?) with a few earlier episodes and MAYBE they made him copies but even so, I bet it's more just key episodes from his time at the show.

Isn't it bizarre?!  This was for a PHD it seems, not just a MA paper.  He goes from very jargon filled pages and pages about methodology, etc, and then weird stream of conscious narration about his experience.  Still, it's pretty amazing that apparently he traveled to New York and was granted access to the writers for an entire week.  It does list the readers and it was signed off and stored at the school so I assume he did complete his studies, though...  But yeah, you're not kidding about padding--I mean is there any reason he has to say that attendance in the last class was low, or he was also going to spend some time visiting his family, what the lighting was like, how "fine" his stereo back at home is, etc?  (Funny as I've been writing my MA paper on soaps--and grant you it is much much shorter with a requirement of under 10,000 words which came to about 35 pages, the emphasis with each submission has all been about editing as much as possible).

Edited by EricMontreal22

• Members

What was great to read though was all the transcribed conversation between Gordon, Sam and Gordon's secretary Joan--which gave you a sense of listening in on them.  While you can tell there might be already some mixed feelings between Sam and Gordon, it also seems like grumpy Sam exaggerated his feelings for the lack of work and talent Gordon showed in his interviews much later for Llanview in the Afternoon--that's just a guess, but (or maybe he grew tired of Gordon later on).  They also imply that Gordon hired Sam...  And of course it's interesting to hear Agnes' role--that she will consult if they need her and she's *required* to consult if ratings are in trouble--one such rating slip seemingly leading to her suggesting that they kill Victor off.  Also this seems to prove that Wiki is (what's new?) wrong and Doris Quinlan was EP at the show at the time (I know she also worked in that capacity at AMC with some overlap there--I think with Agnes and Bud Kloss playing much of that role at AMC).

Edited by EricMontreal22