OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I don't know if he cribbed from 13BS so much as that's his natural style.  Even during his original OL stint, he had stories like the one with Claude Akins that had a Southern Gothic feel to them.

Too bad Pam Long and Michael Malone have never worked together.  They both tend to write big-hearted, romantic stuff, but Long's most positive, upbeat tone might temper some of his darker tendencies.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I just don't think Michael Malone ever belonged on OLTL.  I know he's a good writer and all, but tone-wise, it was never a perfect match for me.  IMO, he'd have been much better off working on a show like LOVING, or DAYS, or even AMC, although I worry how his peculiar, Southern flourishes would have worked on a show like AMC.

• Members

IIRC, when Luna was helping Suede clear his name of some girl's murder, Akins played the girl's father.  I can't remember, though, whether he turned out to be the real culprit, or if it was someone else.

That's the thing: I don't believe Malone has ever been an "urban" kind of writer.  I've read some of his non-OLTL stuff, and to me, he's more of a Flannery O'Connor-type.  His work is definitely steeped in Southern literary traditions.  That's why I think he would've made a perfect collaborator with Pam Long, who wasn't an altogether good fit for OLTL either.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I just watched the first online episode of OLTL. I remember watching this with great excitement in 2013...can't believe it was five years ago already.

Some things really work in this online version and a few things fall short of the mark.

Pros:

#1...I like how the vets are used equally with the younger ones. They all seem to be included in some meaningful way.

#2...it's great seeing Roger Howarth as Todd. Todd was the character he was born to play. I also like seeing Trevor St. John as Victor Jr. since I never bought him as NuTodd. The actresses playing Blair and Tea are perfect in their roles.

#3...the sets are not cheaply put together; they're filled with furniture, knickknacks and paintings-- like real homes should look.

#4...the show still manages to retain its diversity. Rama, the Indian gal, seems front and center; and the relationship between Destiny & Matthew is still important; the new character Jeffrey King seems interesting, etc.

#5...there's a lot going on, the scenes vary in length and don't drag, the club music is also very good.

#6...I love the on-location filming, with Todd pulling up in the limo; Victor Jr. roaming around in a hooded jacket; shots of a river, etc.

#7...there's good comic relief...the scene with David (Tuc Watkins) doing his John Travolta impression outside the club was hysterical.

#8...Dorian and Viki's relationship is still important to the show

#9...they got rid of a lot of the deadwood that was on ABC at the end (in 2012) and kept characters that had potential, like Rama and Cutter (Josh Kelly).

#10...the lighting and clothes are perfect

Cons

#1...I miss the first Destiny from the ABC version; I wish they hadn't recast with a skinnier actress; the original Destiny was more down to earth and less glamorous looking, which made her more relatable to the audience

#2...I think the scenes with the characters dancing at the club went on a bit too long; the energy is good, but just playing music and having them dance lacked drama; it wasn't until Todd showed up and Dani collapsed that the club scenes had any real dramatic edge.

#3...Some key characters are missing. It's odd to see Natalie without John McBain. Also having Blair & Todd on screen without Star seems weird.

#4...Dorian and David are a great comedy supercouple but I think the actors tend to ham it up too much. Plus Robin Strasser shouts her lines instead of emphasizing the dialogue in other ways. Her performances lack subtlety. Some camp is good, but these two really push it to the extreme sometimes, making their characters a bit too cartoonish.

#5...There was some profane language which wasn't a problem exactly. But it felt like they were saying some swear words because they could, instead of it just being part of a realistic conversation because people talk that way in real life.

• Members

All this lovely discussion about writing, styles, and of course the online version is making me miss OLTL something fierce. It was the first ABC show that I was drawn to outside of watching all of them with my mom. I have a friend who is a major Tina fan.

Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Le sigh.

• Members

Interesting, Eric. If I remember correctly I watched the first ten episodes back in 2013. I got busy with other things and stopped watching. So when I get to the eleventh episode it should all be "new" to me. I'm looking forward to watching how it evolves. Plus I'm eager to see Ron Raines in the later episodes, since I was a fan of his on GL.

This doesn't feel as experimental as it did five years ago. In some ways I think it was ahead of its time. I love how there are almost 28 full minutes. A half hour show on network television would have been around 22 minutes to allow for all the commercials. So I feel like we're able to go more in-depth, have more scenes and variety with those extra minutes. This is how the British soap EastEnders is, since it's funded by tax dollars and does not have to worry about advertisements.

Another thing is how professional it seems. When GL changed its production model in 2007, it became very amateurish. But the online version of OLTL smartly combines in-studio filming with outdoor filming and doesn't make it look cheap. A lot of care and money went into these episodes. It's really a shame it didn't last beyond 40 episodes.

• Members

I forgot to mention how much I liked the opening credits for the online version of OLTL. Seeing them all dance was cute, including older couples like Clint & Viki.

There is also some product placement-- the apple laptops that appear in some scenes, but it's not very obtrusive.

Re: the filming schedule...in the first episode there were several night time scenes done on location (in Connecticut). I'm not sure if they continue the outdoor filming in the later episodes.

• Members

Yeah it's bizarre how relatively professional and good they looked even compared to network soaps nowadays. 

Here was the taping schedule.  Obviously they never did do another batch after this:
"She reveals that All My Children will film episodes at Stamford, Connecticut from late February. The former ABC daytime soap will film for two weeks before taking a break during which One Life to Live will film episodes at the studios. After five weeks OLTL will take a break and AMC will resume filming.

A source told Soaps in Depth “They’ll be alternating back and forth until each show has completed 17 weeks of taping. Everyone is looking forward to seeing each other again.” It is unknown what will happen production wise once each soap has completed 17 weeks of taping; whether they will both go on hiatus or move to new studios."

Actors did mention that the hours were significantly longer (also, because of limited space for sets, Erika S mentioned that she had to stay the full day, though saying she didn't mind as it made the cast closer--I guess she had had a deal where they would shoot ALL of her material in the morning of the days she came in and then she could go home) however, they also got those five week breaks to pursue other projects.

Actually I believe a 30 minute soap now in the *daytime* (which has even more commercial time than primetime) comes to 19 minutes of programming--I know hour soaps clock in just around 38.  So yeah, as some mentioned at the time, you don't really get all that much less per episode. 

I def think they were ahead of their time.  I know they were ultimately done in by PP's poor business stuff, but i really think if they had happened even just a year later they may have lasted longer--and someone like Netflix might have been more keen to pick them up.

Edited by EricMontreal22