OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I understand that actor Nathiael Marston, who was an actor on One Life to Live for several years, has had a very serious automobile accident.  I am sure that prayer is in order (if what I read was true). 

Edited by danfling

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes. Vanita Harbour.

Rika was Sheila (the superb Valerie Pettiford)'s kid sister. She began dating Kerry, son of Troy (the guy with Sheila there). Troy was a top cop. Kerry had a rap group (with guest appearances by Kurtis Blow), in Rauch's attempts to, presumably, address years of deserved criticism for racist writing. There used to be clips of Sheila gospel singing and Kerry rapping (not together...), but I'm not sure they are still around.

Linda Gottlieb dumped most of these characters as soon as she could, which was in the process of happening in that episode.

I think the Cassie/Bo/Alex material in that is heading up to "Loon Lake," which was panned by soap magazines at the time IIRC, and rightfully so, as it was just dumb trash. All of those scenes make me cringe, especially the way Cassie was written and portrayed. Only Elaine Princi salvages any of it. She was such a vital part of those two years Gottlieb and Malone got their act together, even if she was then canned right after.

I liked Cain but I still have absolutely no idea how he was supposed to be a master of disguise...

The Max and LeAnn scenes were super awkward no matter who played Max.

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Yes, I can...

I think he also had a German alter ego. It's interesting to hear your memories, as I can imagine how jarring the tonal changes in the show must have been to viewers. Of course Rauch's OLTL was also OTT, but seemed more hollowed out by the end (see: those gruesome scenes of drugged-Viki-as-Niki, or anything with Marjorie Main's evil twin DuAnn, mostly treasured for Erika Slezak's "DuAnn, HONEY..."), whereas Gottlieb's felt more like a cocaine frenzy, mixed with social "awareness" that reminded me of a Facts of Life episode. 

Of all the times Erika hammed it up in questionable material, this really is one of my favorites.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb4nhBZPsF0

• Members

I just remember watching every day and thinking, "Hudson (or Cain) is going away soon, right?  Right?  RIGHT?  Wait, who is Angela Holliday?".

LOL @ "Marjorie Main's evil twin."  But, oh, boy, do I remember what happened to DuAnn in the barn, as well as Mama Khan's "Here we go again!" when Julia killed her and then covered her tracks.  (She really came to hate OLTL, I think.)

Edited by Khan

• Members

Here we go again - well put.

I wonder if Gabrielle ever mentioned Julia or Debra in her return. 

Julia just had a bizarre last year on the show in general. I don't remember her exit, if she had one.

Speaking of DuAnn, who knew Bindi Irwin was a fan? 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3332989/Thank-changing-life-Bindi-Irwin-fights-tears-wins-coveted-Mirrorball-Trophy-Dancing-Stars.html

Edited by DRW50

• Members

(re: Max) Did they really do the Max/Asa potential father son crap twice? It was implied in the episode above and we all know that Asa believed that Max was his son in the late 90s too. Why would the same idiotic story be told again when it was debunked. Unless Asa assumed Max was his son up until about 98/99. IDK b/c I didn't start watching OLTL habitually till about summer '02. 

And how cliche for Paul Rauch to bring on black characters in a rap story. From the looks of it, of course it didn't take off b/c it wasn't believable. How could the audience believe Kerry to be a rapper when he came from an upper-middle class background. Especially when rap was derived from the streets. Especially when gangsta rap was taking over. If Rauch was gonna sell it, he should've made Kerry lower class. 

Watching Alex slice into her hand was so stupid. But seeing Cassie sit there and cry like a drip over Bo was even more stupid.