OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

I met Joey Thrower like 3 months after he was off the show. He was bartending at a night club in Pasadena, called - not joking - SHELTER.

He was really nice. And we TALKED, lol...

He didn't like then-EP Linda Gottlieb, which I knew even then that a lot of cast & crew did not (general feeling was that she was unusually controlling of actors, even off-set - and that she disregarded the show's BTS history, which led to things like her basically telling Jensen Buchanan to get lost). He was kind of cocky, but it sort of fit his age - and you could tell he was together, not a partying mess. He did NOT like Robyn Griggs (Stephanie Hobart) AT ALL - said she was an instigator, attention-seeker, drama-magnet... He really liked working with her predecessor, Christiaan Torres-Mills. Said she was never given a chance in the role, and that her more ethnic-look, while definitely resembling the Carlo Hesser family, worked against her. 

He liked everyone else, too. Loved Yasmine Bleeth. He really missed Erika, Chris, and Erin. Was in love with Karen Witter, in a very "crush" sort of way. I remember speaking nicely of Phil Carey, too. But you know what? He seemed really happy doing what he was doing right there... not crushed or defeated at all. He still came off as appreciating the experience on OLTL.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

After hearing about her from him, I wasn't surprised to see what came about later... IIRC, she was let go from OLTL once and brought back, then let go again. Then came AW, then the partying with John Bobbit, etc...

I think the original Stephanie didn't even make it through a month or two before they "discovered" Griggs. Her appearances were sporadic, too. But I remember her being sweet and a competent actress Just didn't have the chance to get to know her.

• Members

Ok so Paul was still EP when Griggs was hired

I remember an interview she did after getting AW and stating that OLTL fired her but then because of a contract issue had to rehire her

i really felt bad for Matthew Vipond Blonde Kevin in 1990 he was just so lost and green

• Members

I think the issue with all the Kevin and Joey's is that (1) there was never an established narrative to differentiate the boy's personality.  (2) Neither son had a specialization that was vital to the plot.  And (3) Kevin was burdened with a family too early in his story so he seemed like a deadbeat when he was romancing women and neglecting Duke. 

They were also poorly transitioned from Bo and Clint. The Buch Bros dominated stories as  leading men and when it was their turn to become older statesmen, Kevin or Joey were obvious leading man material.  However, Clint "went off to the London office" once too often and, Bo was de-aged to be so close to Kevin that both guys dated Cassie.  As a result, neither boy had any conflict or special relationship with the prior generation; like Bo and Rex would share in latter years.

Joey needed to a male version of Kelly; a spoiled irresponsible playboy.  While Kevin should have developed an antagonism toward Clint for trying to adopt him and erase the memory of his father; as well as all how Clint cheated on Vicky.  Kevin should have stayed a journalist, like his father Joe, and always threatening to expose Buchanan family secrets (sort of like Todd and The Sun).  Vicky could have been constantly torn between her devotion toward her two sons.  Instead, Vicky's daughters got much more airtime and they became better defined than her sons.  In fact, the final decade contains a bunch of Kevin and Joey stand-in characters who were mentored by Vicky, Bo, or Clint when they should have maintained a focus on those two.

• Members

Constant and writer/EP regime changes have a deleterious effect on characters over time. At least with the same actor or writer, you have *some* continuity (although not always), but I just never felt that overarching story being told. There was Kevin the crusading journalist in the ‘90s, but you couldn’t pick actors who had such vastly different approaches than Stapleton and Gibbs. Then he became a politician. I feel like Joey might have suffered less (maybe because Nathan Fillion was so popular and put such a stamp on the character) but still was problematic.

Edited by Faulkner

• Members

I was about to delicately address Robin's memory, but shame on me, it was Elaine's Dorian I was remembering in scenes with McKenna. He was still on the show though when Robin came back in '93 and during the 25th anniversary episodes.

• Members

How long was Kelly Cheston around as Alana? She had good chemistry with Joey. Chris McKenna and Ryan Phillipe were great together

Does anyone have the June 1994 episode I believe around June 20 0r 21 where Billy Comes back for a day and has scenes with Nathan's Joey?