OLTL Tribute Thread

• Members

Does anyone recall Ilene Kristen's role as Georgina the Geologist in the early 80's?  She came to town with nu-Tony Lord to mine solariam(sp?) under Asa's house.  She had a quick affair with Bo and then left town.  Someone recently referenced the storyline but I've never seen clips from this period.

I'm wondering how different the character was from RH's Delia?  When she was on AW she played a very snobby character that was years away from Delia.  Also, did anyone ever reference Georgina when Ilene came back to OLTL as Roxy? 

Edited by j swift

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

No, never. I do seem to recall there was a solaramite/Buchanan race car reference at one point during the Carlivati era (I think solaramite had powered Bo's magic race car) but I don't believe IK was in any way involved.

Nana Visitor from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine replaced Ilene as Georgina Whitman, IIRC.

• Members

Found myself on an early '80s OLTL jag tonight. What a dynamic duo. Robin is really at her best when she plays it simply because she effortlessly makes the most delicious acting choices. I marvel at Erika's 80-second monologue that she probably learned the night before. In theatre, most actresses I know would be calling, "Line?" for weeks.

I was trying to figure out what this scene was reminding me of, and I realized it was flashes of scenes between Joan and Diahann on Dynasty and Barbara and Stephanie on The Colbys in terms of the way the actors handle the, shall we say, "elevated" language with impeccable speech and proper emphasis. As a colleague of mine would say, they're "(giving you) the nouns and the verbs", they're telling the story and not treating it as secondary to their schmacting or "mood".

• Members

Ilene Kristen (Georgina #1) & Nana Tucker/Nana Visitor (Georgina #2)

Tune in Tomorrow – Jon Michael Reed
February 20, 1982

When the character of lady mechanic Georgina Whitman surfaced on “One Life To Live'” three months ago, she was intended to be an “interim buffer” to re-introduce the character of Tony Lord. Now, the shows writers have extended the character to be more active. But the actress originally hired to play Georgina has been dropped. Actress Ilene Kristen was the original Delia on “Ryan's Hope.” Her return to the soap world signaled a willingness to combine soap acting's financial security with her outside interest. Unfortunately. Kristen gained a noticeable amount of pounds to her girth between soaps stints. A “OLTL” source claims that Kristen was cautioned to lose the flab or risk her job.

Last week, “OLTL" announced that Nana Tucker will take over the role of Georgina, Interestingly, Tucker's also a “RH” alumna. She played Jewish girl, Nancy Feldman, who had an ill-fated romance with Catholic Pat Ryan. Tucker later portrayed Darcy Collins on “The Doctors.”

Kristen, meanwhile, is rumored to be negotiating with “RH” to resume her role of Delia. The current Delia, Randall Edwards, is, according to another source, tired of the part and not afraid to let her displeasure show. Edwards garnered an Emmy nomination last year and was a delightful Delia. Kristen’s return, should it occur, would, however, be a reminder, and perhaps an inspiration, of the exemplary show “Ryan's Hope” was before it digressed to bloated tales of gangland wars and Egyptian mummy curses.

• Members

50 years ago today.

It's oddly fitting that in a year that included two assassinations of high profile figures and the height of the Vietnam War, a daytime soap about the haves and have nots, that included people of different classes and races, would quietly debut one Monday afternoon on ABC in the midst of all this tragedy and chaos(the riots/protests at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago were only a month later). And despite some turns away from that concept over the years (hi, Eterna!), that is probably still its most important legacy.

Happy Anniversary!

Unfortunately, there are virtually no episodes of the show from 1968 on YouTube (much less the first episode of the show), but there IS a fan-made approximation of the closing credits featuring the theme used from 1968-1975, complete with an ABC logo of that era, and a promo for The Johnny Cash Show.

•  

• Members

I watched that episode at Paley years ago, what a treat, I plan to see it again the next time I'm in NY. Was this from the OLTL wrap party? You can hear the crowd reacting to Erika, I imagine many of them were learning of "another" Viki and a very much alive Victor Lord for the first time.

I don't know how Gillian Spencer played Viki on a day-to-day basis, but in this episode at least, her Viki showed great concern for Merrie while remaining very reserved, still. Think of the quiet, understated, unflappable approach Beverlee McKinsey took to material, particularly in her final years on GL.

• Members

Wonderful episode!!!! This episode is #3087 and it was broadcast in the USA on 7th August 1980...when Asa gave a big  birthday party for Sam and Mimi!! Although it says episode 4: The party continues....in the German broadcast...

Edited by Goldensoaps